Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2021 7:56:02 PM EDT
I've got a 4x4 double cab Tacoma. I put 17"  Firestone 'Destination' A/T tires on it a few years ago but it's getting time for new tires. Actually the Destination has been a pretty decent tire. I like AT (all terrain) tires on my truck because I don't like the 'Hum' of off-road tires.

So my other two tires I'm looking at are the following and if any of you are running these tires on your 4x4's let me know your opinion on them:

General Grabber A/TX...265/70R17 115T  FR

BF Goodrich All-terrain...T/A K02  LT265/65R17

Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd add Toyo Open Country AT2/3 to your list too.  Mine have been great on my F150 for several years now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I was always happy with Cooper Discoverer STT on my F150.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:30:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I will look into those two different tires. Thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:20:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had great luck with the 2 sets of Hancooks I've had on my truck.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]
in the last five years since moving to the curvy highway/gravel road paradise which is the ozarks, I have run bf goodrich, general, and faulken tires.... not noticed a difference in the wear (all suck in my conditions)  the generals got replaced the quickest as my gravel road like to poke holes in them... they were all 10 ply (f250)
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
in the last five years since moving to the curvy highway/gravel road paradise which is the ozarks, I have run bf goodrich, general, and faulken tires.... not noticed a difference in the wear (all suck in my conditions)  the generals got replaced the quickest as my gravel road like to poke holes in them... they were all 10 ply (f250)
View Quote

I never would have thought gravel would poke holes in 10ply. I was actually leaning toward the General Grabber A/TX tires. I get on gravel from time to time but not on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had version 2 of these on 3 different vehicles and have been very happy with them.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/dueler-at-revo-3
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I've ran a few sets of BFG ATs and loved them. They lasted a long time and traction in snow and light mud was fantastic.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've ran a few sets of BFG ATs and loved them. They lasted a long time and traction in snow and light mud was fantastic.
View Quote

Thanks for your input GUNGUY148 I appreciate it...those tires are definitely in the running. And I see those on a lot trucks around here.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#10]
we must have some of the sharpest rocks around... The first year we were here, I blew out two on the ford f250, one on the nissan frontier, and three on the massey tractor.... I asked many around here what the deal was... their answer.... we buy cheap tires, because these rocks cut or poke holes in our tires....
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
we must have some of the sharpest rocks around... The first year we were here, I blew out two on the ford f250, one on the nissan frontier, and three on the massey tractor.... I asked many around here what the deal was... their answer.... we buy cheap tires, because these rocks cut or poke holes in our tires....
View Quote

I wholly understand. Before I retired I used to do everything natural gas, from gas line construction, gas utility work, to supervisor over our gas department to being a natural gas technician. We had one road in a very small remote town that had one 6 block section filled with the sharpest rock I have seen or dug into. There were only about five houses on that line and each one was quite a distance from the gas main.  
  We literally had to fix one to two leaks on that stretch of plastic main a year due to small punctures from when the ground would heave and move and create another leak. We did that for about four years then we said, hey boss don't you think it might be a good idea to upgrade the pipe? We got the approval and installed the densest plastic pipe money can buy and voila'...no more punctures.
  Amazing how conversations turn from tires to sharp rocks to natural gas mains!
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I had really good luck with the BF Goodrich KO2 tires when I ran them on my 2002 Jeep Liberty. They had good tread life and good traction in all conditions. I am really liking the Falken Wildpeak A/T3 tires on my 2016 Jeep Cherokee. They have been great on the snow and ice we've had so far this winter. And they do great in heavy rain too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had really good luck with the BF Goodrich KO2 tires when I ran them on my 2002 Jeep Liberty. They had good tread life and good traction in all conditions. I am really liking the Falken Wildpeak A/T3 tires on my 2016 Jeep Cherokee. They have been great on the snow and ice we've had so far this winter. And they do great in heavy rain too.
View Quote

Excellent, I've seen the Falken tires but I haven't really checked into them. Guess I'll have to do some more research!
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I just ordered some Toyo Open Country At IIIs for my Titan. To be installed Wednesday. I'll let ya know.

Thanks Uncle Joe
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#15]
The Hancook's on my truck have been awesome. I'll look at what they are when I leave here in a bit
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Hancook's on my truck have been awesome. I'll look at what they are when I leave here in a bit
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Nitto Ridge Grappler. Have them on 2 of my trucks and have been very pleased with them. Great traction, not noisy, and they have worn very well. Obviously you have to regularly rotate/ align and make sure they're properly inflated.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Back years ago Western Auto came out with a deal on tires that if you didn't 60,000 miles wear with them they would replace with a new set with only a minimal charge after 40,000 miles. After I got 4 new sets of tires Western Auto went out of business. They lasted me abt. 30,000 miles per set. I only had 2 1/2 miles of so called gravel to drive over one way several times per day.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I put some Dick Cepek Trail Country (which are made by Cooper) that are a hybrid MT/AT tread.  I'm pretty happy with them.  With the diesel weight the truck is nose heavy and driving through wet grass with any slope would require locking the hubs in, but not anymore.  There is some tire hum, but I measured before and after with a dB meter on my phone before and after and there was no difference in noise at highway speeds.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:31:45 AM EDT
[#20]
@dab2 I have the Hancook Dynapro ATM tires. They aren't noisy on the highway, but not exactly quiet either. I don't notice the noise if the radio is on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top