Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2021 2:11:29 PM EDT
This from  the Missouri Firearms Coalition.  We already know they are against this. I believe they changed the language in tbe bill to try and pacify the Sheriffs assoc.and get this bill passed.I think they did what they had to. Now the Sheriffs Asoc. has found other things to whine and cry about. I think we need to continue to put pressure on our local Sheriffs and more importantly (IMHO) try to put whatever pressure we can on the  Sheriffs assoc. and expose the what & why of what they are doing.
    Mike

Jefferson City, MO — We’ve been tracking Missouri’s Second Amendment Preservation Act, or SAPA legislation since last year.  Missouri has two rock-solid pro-gun legislators, Senator Eric Burlison and Representative Jered Taylor, who are advancing the bill that would nullify all federal gun control in the state!

We reported last week that the bill (H.B. 85/S.B. 39) had sailed through the House by a vote of 107 to 43.  The buzz around the Capitol is that the SAPA bill will be heard in the Senate any day, as it’s already gotten a ‘do pass’ designation from the original committee that heard the bill.

From here, it needs to go through one more committee vote and then onto the Senate floor for a full vote.

It’s looking more and more like Missouri will be the first state in the country to pass this groundbreaking legislation!

But as the prospect of this bill passing grew closer, the Missouri Sheriff’s Association come out against it, saying it was going to hamper their efforts to fight crime!

This isn’t the first time that the Missouri Sheriff’s Association has come out against pro-gun bills.  The Missouri Firearms Coalition reported to their members this week saying that the M.S.A. has a history of doing this to gun owners:

Don’t forget, this is far from the first time the Missouri Sheriffs’ Association has tried to block pro-gun legislation.

>>> In 2020, the Missouri Sheriffs’ Association worked with anti-gun moderates in the Senate to make sure that then-Senator Libla gutted the bill with a harmful amendment, killing it.

>>> In 2016, the Missouri Sheriffs’ Association opposed our Constitutional Carry legislation. They were outraged that they might lose revenue from not processing as many permit applications. To them, it’s always about the money.

>>> In 2016, the Missouri Sheriffs’ Association also opposed Stand-Your-Ground legislation. Thankfully, they lost this fight, but had they won, you would have been forced to retreat from dangerous criminals!

>>> In 2013, the Missouri Sheriffs’ Association opposed a version of SAPA legislation (H.B. 436) and ensured that then-Governor Nixon’s veto was not overridden.

And even when they don’t publicly attack pro-gun bills like the ones above, they work behind the scenes and try to kill gun bills using a whisper campaign — like they tried to do with Missouri’s Shall Issue law years ago!

The truth is that NO ONE in the Capitol can recall a time when the Missouri Sheriffs’ Association championed a gun bill.

‘What’s Going On Here?  My Sheriff Likes SAPA!’

Many gun owners know their local sheriffs or deputies and report that great numbers of them are staunchly pro gun and even support this new legislation!

That might be true, but gun owners across the country need to remember that their state sheriff’s association is always a political organization — complete with a group of lobbyists in their Capitol.

As a political entity, they are often deeply anti-gun for a variety of reasons.

It can be lost revenue as in the case of doing away with concealed carry permits by passing Constitutional Carry — or in losing federal funding for not enforcing federal gun laws.

They also don’t like that SAPA law would gun owners to civilly sue them and other government officials who enforce tyrannical gun control — but the answer to that is simple!

If they obey Missouri’s SAPA law once it’s passed, they have nothing to worry about!

But even better, this SAPA legislation would empower those freedom-loving Sheriffs and officers who do NOT want to enforce Joe Biden’s federal gun control!

As the Missouri Firearms Coalition points out:

…SAPA legislation is designed to protect Missouri’s peace officers who are worried about having to choose between violating their oath of office (enforcing federal gun control) and losing their jobs if they refuse to carry out these orders.

This attack from the Missouri Sheriff’s Association and their lobbyists is a bump in the road for SAPA, but thanks to the grassroots gun owners in Missouri who have pounded on their legislators with calls, emails and petitions, this bill is plowing forward!

We expect it to make pro-gun history in a few short weeks!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent post mikeak!
  Keep the pressure on your representatives in both Houses if they tend to be weak-kneed. I know mine are staunchly for this legislation. And I also believe that it's a 'follow the money' issue and also the fact that they will have to tell any Fed policing authority to 'go pound sand' if it ever comes to Federal gun control in our state.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep pressure on the Governor as well, aas he still has almost complete final say (via veto power)
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#3]
IntoTheEther ,Absolutely ,We need to keep pressure on the Gov. Hopefully his prior law enforcement experience won't cloud his judgement.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Who and what comprises this "association"?

How can they claim to represent all MO sheriffs?

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who and what comprises this "association"?

How can they claim to represent all MO sheriffs?

View Quote

Excellent questions. I can only give you my experiences I had when living in Ill-noise. The street level officers by majority were all for pro-gun bills.

The IL Sheriff's Association would always give their 'thumbs up' to legislation that was pro-gun and were out spoken about it to boot...BUT...it was the Illinois State Police ADMINISTRATION that always put up road blocks because they always put flaming liberals in the upper positions in ADMIN. And the state police were the ones who gave personal protection to all the flaming leftist governors Ill-noise had.

I would presume it is the same with the Sheriff's Association here. The ADMIN is throwing the tantrum due to Federal money and the fact if any of them are looking one day to step into a Fed job later, a pro-Constitution stance might hold them back.

I don't care what anyone says...actions are louder than words. They might say they are pro-second amendment but they sure aren't showing it.
It's called taking an oath then lying on the oath you took...that has long-lasting  ramifications.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The ADMIN is throwing the tantrum due to Federal money and the fact if any of them are looking one day to step into a Fed job later, a pro-Constitution stance might hold them back.
View Quote

It is sad that having a pro-Constitution stance is so controversial to the folks in DC.  Does anyone else feel like we are in the Hunger Games?  Washington D.C. certainly seems to be comprised of sissified elites...
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It is sad that having a pro-Constitution stance is so controversial to the folks in DC.  Does anyone else feel like we are in the Hunger Games?  Washington D.C. certainly seems to be comprised of sissified elites...
View Quote

Yes Sir...I heartily agree.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top