Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2021 4:47:41 PM EDT
A friend near Columbia got the email from Starlink yesterday, stating that they were accepting pre-orders in the area now. He let my son know (he's been on the list for a while too), so now we're also paid up on the pre-order.

Here's where to see if you can get in on it;
(If you can get in, it takes you to the payment page)
https://www.starlink.com/

Here's an outside explanation of the process;

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-sign-up-for-starlink-elon-musk-spacex-internet-2021-2
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I ordered ours last night immediately after getting the email.  Says nothing about pre-order, though.  Says we will receive ours in 2-4 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope ours arrives that quickly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Gotta ask since I'm not up to speed...What's the advantage of having 'Starlink?'
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gotta ask since I'm not up to speed...What's the advantage of having 'Starlink?'
View Quote

1) Having internet at all
2) Having fast internet
3) Having plug n play fast internet

It's a solution for those who are limited in their internet access options (rural areas, etc).  For people like me, who only had the options of 1) cellular/LTE based service, 2) HughesNet / traditional satellite service (yuck), or 3) a local Wireless Internet Service Provider (WISP) that serves rural areas (think Ubiquiti wi-fi dishes/equipment mounted line-of-sight.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Where I live, the choices are;

Hughesnet, which sucks.

Hot spot, which sucks little less.

Viasat, which is better than those other two, but still lacking. The speed gets throttled pretty quickly.

Starlink is supposed to be faster, and not throttled, once the array is all in place. We want to get in on that ASAP, even if it's wonky at first.

I want those fancy internet waves.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks 67Firebird!...now I'm up to speed. I saw the link of satellites fly over our home twice. I knew what they were but didn't know much more than they were satellites for internet. Hope your new internet kicks rear!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:30:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Wranglerstar did a video on this a few weeks ago. IIRC he said he needed 3 satellites just to upload 1 video to YouTube, and it took a few hours. He said the first one he uploaded with starlink took about 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The RDOF auction just wrapped up and fiber will be spreading across rural areas pretty soon.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The RDOF auction just wrapped up and fiber will be spreading across rural areas pretty soon.
View Quote

What's RDOF auction? I'd take Fiber if it were available. Right stuck with Century Link and it blows. Not even 1Mbs upload, maybe and I mean maybe 10Mbs download with Latency around 300ms. This they're HS DSL
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What's RDOF auction? I'd take Fiber if it were available. Right stuck with Century Link and it blows. Not even 1Mbs upload, maybe and I mean maybe 10Mbs download with Latency around 300ms. This they're HS DSL
View Quote

They've been auctioning off radio frequencies or whateverthefucks the last few years with claims to use the proceeds to bring high speed internet to us poor country folk.  I haven't seen it.  There's been fiber running in front of the house for about 20 years; our internet is over twisted copper wire, still.

I don't don't expect to see high speed internet (short of Starlink) in this area, ever.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They've been auctioning off radio frequencies or whateverthefucks the last few years with claims to use the proceeds to bring high speed internet to us poor country folk.  I haven't seen it.  There's been fiber running in front of the house for about 20 years; our internet is over twisted copper wire, still.

I don't don't expect to see high speed internet (short of Starlink) in this area, ever.
View Quote

Thanks, guess we'll have to order a kit from Elon then. I know Lees Summit(20 mins SE of KC) has Google Fiber(brother has it)and we're 25 minutes SE of Less Summit(don't have it) between Pleasant Hill and Kingsville.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Our nearest city (5mi away) has CoMo fiber, and it reaches about half way to us. I was really disappointed when they stopped short, but I've heard many reports of their service going out repeatedly. I have more hope for Starlink to work, than any fiber that they'd run out here.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I ordered ours last night immediately after getting the email.  Says nothing about pre-order, though.  Says we will receive ours in 2-4 weeks.
View Quote

Apparently some areas are ready for a full order of equipment, while others are just pre-order status.

From that link I posted in the OP;

"The site disclaims that there are limited spots available and that the spots will be filled on a "first-come, first-served basis" for preorders.

The $99 deposit payment gives consumers a "priority position" in the queue for Starlink services in their region, and the amount will be applied to an eventual purchase. The terms and conditions for preorders state that Starlink can't guarantee when or if service will be available, saying "service delivery is dependent on many factors, including various regulatory approvals.""
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Dad just told me a while back that his little phone company got a pretty substantial .gov grant to run fiber out in the rural areas of Crawford county, down towards Salem. They are really having to ramp up, and contract out to companies that are having to ramp up, just to get the work done.  I guess these are areas where it would not be feasible to run the fiber without a bunch of taxpayer subsidies. Hopefully they don't bury the cable, check the box and then walk away. It would suck having fiber that won't be maintained because there is not money to made from it after the cable is buried. Maybe I'm a little pessimistic but .gov involvement almost always f's up stuff like that.

He lives in Steelville and has had fiber to his house for quite a few years. I live in STL suburbs and can't get decent copper wire service.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

He lives in Steelville and has had fiber to his house for quite a few years. I live in STL suburbs and can't get decent copper wire service.
View Quote

Isn't that the truth!!  I know people out in the boonies with gravel roads that have ripping fast internet.  Yet I'm 25 minutes from the Arch and cannot get Spectrum or AT&T to run a f'n cable a couple hundred extra yards up the hill to our little neighborhood for less than $15-20K.  It's $80/ft or something crazy like that.  Hell at my building in town, it took three months to get Spectrum out there to run a new piece of cable for phone and internet, and they literally just had to run it under the road from the pole to the NIC box in conduit that was already there!!!!  My buddy that works in construction for Charter said the same as above though.....they get the gov money to go out and upgrade a big area all at once.  They go out and run three shifts to get it done as fast as possible to get that $$$.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wranglerstar did a video on this a few weeks ago. IIRC he said he needed 3 satellites just to upload 1 video to YouTube, and it took a few hours. He said the first one he uploaded with starlink took about 15 minutes.
View Quote

He's got a lot of great vids.

I pre ordered yesterday to replace my sucky Hugh's net. I can't wait!
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#17]
you some a guns cost me money.... our local telecom is/has been laying fiber to all their customers.... being that we are the only people on our road, would be the last to get it... even after offering to sign or prepay for a couple years service....(one of our businesses depends on fast internet).  

I pulled up the cost of service, and speed (which seem crazy fast to what we have now), and compared it to starlink..... Yeah, we just placed a order for starlink....I hope we get it soon... it's even got us talking about scrapping our land line.....
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone got the equipment yet.  

I have shit service from Century link.  I have small Cable Co that may be option that ran fiber, that some people say is ok.  But makes me nervous Cable America.    I am have deposit with Starlink.  

Not sure best option.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm still somewhat patiently waiting...
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:46:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I just recently signed up for high-speed cable service via Callabyte.  They ran the cables through my yard last week.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm right there with ya, I live on the edge of town and those speeds are on a good day for me.  On the flip side I'm only paying $45/month for it.  Some friends that live further out than me had Centurylink DSL also and I speed tested it at .5MBps download.  Their son got an XBOX for christmas and it was unusable so they have viasat now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#23]
My dishy arrived last week.  I've been busy, and didn't have time to take it out of the box until today.  Messed my back up last week, so I'm not planning on climbing onto the roof to mount it for a bit.  We have enough trees close enough to the house that I'm not sure there will be much point in "testing" it out in the yard.  Pretty much needs to be on the roof to clear the trees LOS.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:09:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Holy crap. When I checked it the first time, the cost was not too bad, but I had to wait. I just went back, thinking this is doable now, but the cost to get started (for the hardware etc) went up to about $600. Looks like I'm out. Bummer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#25]
@motoguy

what was your order date, if you don't mind me asking... I'd like to compare the length of time I have to wait for mine... LOL
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Feb 8/9
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:11:26 AM EDT
[#27]
I had Viasat before. It was okay for what it was. Cost $100 a month for the plan I had. Now have a "Line of Sight" ISP. it's faster and $40 less a month. I've not lost connection other then once when the main tower was struck by lightning. What's the incentive of going back to satellite where the service can go out with a heavy rain? What's Starlink cost?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 2:18:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I had Viasat before. It was okay for what it was. Cost $100 a month for the plan I had. Now have a "Line of Sight" ISP. it's faster and $40 less a month. I've not lost connection other then once when the main tower was struck by lightning. What's the incentive of going back to satellite where the service can go out with a heavy rain? What's Starlink cost?
View Quote

Most of that is already answered in this thread, but here's a bigger one with more info;

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Starlink-internet-Moving-vehicle-FCC-request-Pre-order-at-starlink-com/5-2338726/
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Most of that is already answered in this thread, but here's a bigger one with more info;

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Starlink-internet-Moving-vehicle-FCC-request-Pre-order-at-starlink-com/5-2338726/
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Had my equipment for a week or two, but haven't had time to install it until today.  Booted up for the first time 15 or so minutes ago.  I must say, I'm quite happy.

Attachment Attached File

Compared my the WISP we've had for the past 5 years.  Paying $10/month MORE than Starlink...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

To the contrary, weather doesn't seem to affect Starlink.  As opposed to my WISP, which goes to crap in the rain, snow, sleet, fog, when the trees bloom out, etc.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Anyone got the equipment yet.  

I have shit service from Century link.  I have small Cable Co that may be option that ran fiber, that some people say is ok.  But makes me nervous Cable America.    I am have deposit with Starlink.  

Not sure best option.
View Quote

Our CenturyLink sucks too
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Had my equipment for a week or two, but haven't had time to install it until today.  Booted up for the first time 15 or so minutes ago.  I must say, I'm quite happy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234167/starlink_speedtest_2_JPG-1873921.JPG

Compared my the WISP we've had for the past 5 years.  Paying $10/month MORE than Starlink...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234167/wisper_speed_test_JPG-1873923.JPG
View Quote

Impressive, we have Hugh's net and similar speeds to your WISP.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Ordered 2-13-21....still nothing
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#36]
anyone got theirs lately??  still waiting.....
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Nope still waiting
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:05:35 AM EDT
[#38]
We're still waiting too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:42:10 AM EDT
[#39]
I looked at the web site and the $499.00 upfront cost for the equipment was a killer for me plus the $99.00 per month charge which will undoubtedly go up .
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
anyone got theirs lately??  still waiting.....
View Quote

Got my 2nd one late last week.  Got it running over the weekend.  

They sent it as a replacement for my 1st setup, which was zapped by lightning a week or two ago.  According to them, mine was the first to suffer this fate (and shouldn't have done so).  Need to get it boxed up and sent back to them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nope still waiting
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Me too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 12:11:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Still nothing here.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#44]
i'm still impatiently waiting...
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Any updates? Peeps recently received their star link shipments

Pre-ordered back in April and still nothing here
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#46]
We haven't heard anything yet.  I keep checking the GD thread, so I can see that people in other states are getting it. That inspires some hope.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Starlink-internet-Global-coverage-by-Sept-2021-page-28/5-2338726/&page=29&anc=93905879#i93905879
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#47]
I've had dial up phone internet connection from Consolidated Communications. Talk about caveman thinking speeds.

Upgraded to Hughes, and was very disappointed. Had bad modem, but company kept saying the modem was good. Told them to replace the modem and I'll never call them again. Worked good for 3-4yrs until was upgraded by new company.

ViaSat, which was Hughes, but bought out by a larger more knowledgable company with new equipment replacement and had much better connections/speed. Had this for about 5-7yrs and was pleased.

Now finally, come full circle. Consolidated Communications ran some optic fiber cable in area and I did a full change to them with phone(had their landline phone for over 16yrs and been pleased), digital box for TV channels and now internet connection. Great CS for when I've had problems, replaced the digital box on TV for new last year, and our internet has been exceptional. Even during storms or harsh weathers I've had good contacts and speeds as if I lived in a large city and I live at least 6 miles from the nearest small cowtown.

No satellite links for me anymore. Fiber cable is the way to go. Especially being underground as atmospheric conditions have no impact on any reception.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#48]
I've had it since March and it works pretty well.  97 down and 27 up with at least one netflix stream going works well enough for me.

Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
ViaSat, which was Hughes, but bought out by a larger more knowledgable company with new equipment replacement and had much better connections/speed. Had this for about 5-7yrs and was pleased.
View Quote

Hughesnet is still around. Exede bought Wildblue, and then became Viasat.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Hughesnet is still around. Exede bought Wildblue, and then became Viasat.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking, but couldn't remember the name. I heard Exede was also Hughes, depending on where you lived to not make everyone think they weren't same with all the bad reviews.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top