Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2021 2:20:01 AM EDT
Heading that way to look at some properties, rough triangle between mountain grove, farmington and west plains

Looks gorgeous and pretty backwoods. I grew up pretty backwoods and want to melt into hills

I'm about as pro freedom as it gets. I've been with a very high paying fire department for 13 years and have no idea what I would do for work, but don't really care at the moment. Somewhere within 30 mins of physical therapy would be good so the woman can still buy me sandwiches until the world ends
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Heading that way to look at some properties, rough triangle between mountain grove, farmington and west plains

Looks gorgeous and pretty backwoods. I grew up pretty backwoods and want to melt into hills

I'm about as pro freedom as it gets. I've been with a very high paying fire department for 13 years and have no idea what I would do for work, but don't really care at the moment. Somewhere within 30 mins of physical therapy would be good so the woman can still buy me sandwiches until the world ends
View Quote

First, the Mark Twain Forest is HUGE . . . something like 3 million acres all across southern Missouri. There's even a section in mid-Missouri. Basically, a whole bunch of land that was clear-cut and over-harvested 100 years ago got bought up by the federal government.

The West Plains area is probably one of the more "bustling" parts of the deep Ozarks. Farmington is sort of the outer edge of civilization. Much north of there and you feel the influence of St. Louis. Outside the larger towns, there's just a whole lot of trees, rocks, streams and hard-living. There is a chance you might find work in the Ozarks, but only a chance. Jobs aren't exactly plentiful or lucrative. It is a beautiful area though and there's a lot of recreation to be had.

If you're wanting to disappear into the woods, you've come to the right place. There's all manner of independent types who've found a home in those hills. Everything from hippy communes to drug entrepreneurs to holy roller cults to patriots and militias. You'll find it all.

ETA: If medical care is important, you'll want to consider your driving time/distance to Cape Girardeau or Springfield (or St. Louis).

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#2]
It's amazing here, good jobs are scarce though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I really have no idea what I'd do for work
Worst case scenario being within an hour or two of springfield might allow me to get on as a firefighter.

I'm very open to the idea of finding other ways to make money, once again an hour or so to a bigger area might allow that.

Physical therapy would be for the wifey's work, not hey medical needs, so we're probably tied to a commuting distance to a town that has a PT clinic
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm looking in the same general area. Shannon, Carter, Reynolds, & Oregon Counties are where I'm looking.  I'm about 3 years out from retirement. There has been some really nice places come up on Zillow recently but I'm not wanting to buy something and be 6 hours away.

Hopefully prices will come down some later.

I love the area and one day I will be there.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Worst case scenario being within an hour or two of springfield might allow me to get on as a firefighter.

I'm very open to the idea of finding other ways to make money, once again an hour or so to a bigger area might allow that.

Physical therapy would be for the wifey's work, not hey medical needs, so we're probably tied to a commuting distance to a town that has a PT clinic
View Quote

I’m pretty sure that the Farmington FD is a paid department. Not sure what the pay is but the cost of living is fairly low in the area so factor that into your decision making.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Biggest think for you is getting electricity, internet, and cell coverage out there.

East side or SE corner would be nice.....quick access to Cape G, Lake Wappapello, and I-55 (would be halfway between STL and MEM for broader range of flights.)

If access to a big airport doesn't play into it, then west side puts you closer to Norfolk, Bill Shoals, and Table Rock.  Plenty of stuff to do in Springfield/Branson, but it's a haul to STL, KC, or Little Rock.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’m pretty sure that the Farmington FD is a paid department. Not sure what the pay is but the cost of living is fairly low in the area so factor that into your decision making.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been told by an STL firefighter that lived down here that Farmington paid about 25% of what he was making. He said the commute was well worth it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've been told by an STL firefighter that lived down here that Farmington paid about 25% of what he was making. He said the commute was well worth it.
View Quote

If he was in west St. Louis County, yes.......STL City, no.  Tax base.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Moved from Ill-noise about 1 1/2 years ago. We live in NE Missouri. My wife and I are very happy here! We are about 1 hour 45 minutes from Columbia and St. Louis area. We have three conservation areas with gun ranges and great fishing lakes within 50 minutes where we live and two other ranges within 30 minutes. Mark Twain Forest and Mark twain Lake in about 25 minutes. It has a shooting range on it too.
  Think of Hannibal, Missouri area and you'd be in my back yard. Lots of rural around and homes are selling like pancakes here. They are building new homes in a new subdivision in Hannibal the prices I believe are around $225,000 on up. Good luck with your house hunting. I'm going 'runnin' and gunning' today. Although at my age it is more like a labored jog. :)
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Firefighting is probably going to be the last resort, but may very well become a reality if finances begin to look dour.

internet would be nice whether it's cell, satellite, or whatever

Looking for decent acreage (40+), a crappy house/cabin in any stage of disrepair that can be salvaged would be ideal. Either way we plan on building a large cabin, and being completely off grid.

I'll be bringing 500-600k with me and would like that money to pay for the property, house construction/off grid utility development, and preferably have a little left over.

500k sounds cool on paper but goes pretttttty quick when developing from scratch, so my price range for property is 100-200k, and I'll probably go broke while building, hopefully at least be able to move in before I actually run out of money
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Firefighting is probably going to be the last resort, but may very well become a reality if finances begin to look dour.

internet would be nice whether it's cell, satellite, or whatever

Looking for decent acreage (40+), a crappy house/cabin in any stage of disrepair that can be salvaged would be ideal. Either way we plan on building a large cabin, and being completely off grid.

I'll be bringing 500-600k with me and would like that money to pay for the property, house construction/off grid utility development, and preferably have a little left over.

500k sounds cool on paper but goes pretttttty quick when developing from scratch, so my price range for property is 100-200k, and I'll probably go broke while building, hopefully at least be able to move in before I actually run out of money
View Quote

You should be able to stretch that out pretty good here in MO. But there are more conservatives moving here from other states so prices will go up. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You should be able to stretch that out pretty good here in MO. But there are more conservatives moving here from other states so prices will go up. Hope you find what you're looking for.
View Quote

I would certainly hope so, not so many years ago I would have thought over half a mil in cash could get you anything. I'd love nothing more than to blow it all on a gorgeous piece of land and a nice cabin, cut most of my expenses, and start living on a lot less
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#13]
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1131-Aa-Hwy-Farmington-MO-63640/126551378_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be, he just said st Louis and as we all know that's a vague term.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would certainly hope so, not so many years ago I would have thought over half a mil in cash could get you anything. I'd love nothing more than to blow it all on a gorgeous piece of land and a nice cabin, cut most of my expenses, and start living on a lot less
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can still get a lot of house and land for that. Internet is sketchy AF in the Ozarks and you didn't mention children but many of the schools are poorly funded. Just like everywhere else you pay a premium for anything that's in a good school district.

I still see land for sale around  $1000/acre if you're OK with BFE.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You can still get a lot of house and land for that. Internet is sketchy AF in the Ozarks and you didn't mention children but many of the schools are poorly funded. Just like everywhere else you pay a premium for anything that's in a good school district.

I still see land for sale around  $1000/acre if you're OK with BFE.
View Quote

No children yet, but probably soon.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

These are both profound understatements.

The Missouri Ozarks is the closest you can get to Appalachia outside of Appalachia.

I love it, particularly the Frederictown/Farmington/Wappapello/Bell Mountain/Rockpile wilderness areas.

If I could make a living there, I'd live there.  Maybe I'll retire there.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Missouri Ozarks is the closest you can get to Appalachia outside of Appalachia.

I love it, particularly the Frederictown/Farmington/Wappapello/Bell Mountain/Rockpile wilderness areas.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

I live in that area. I'm making a good living but not nearly what could be made in an urban area.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yup

I live in that area. I'm making a good living but not nearly what could be made in an urban area.
View Quote

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Check out Wayne County if you want rural, low taxes, and reasonably close to larger areas like Cape and Poplar Bluff
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

I spent most of my career in new car dealerships running the service department, I'm doing asset management for a fleet company now.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally

View Quote
When I was a kid we would camp near Marquand on the Castor River. It was awesome.

if you are near Wappapello you aren't far from Duck Creek or Mingo. Both places are great for hunting and fishing
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I spent most of my career in new car dealerships running the service department, I'm doing asset management for a fleet company now.
View Quote

My only valuable job skills are emergency incident management related, so most of what I've been trained for and paid to do would go out the window. I'd be very content trying to make ends meet running an excavator or doing tree work though
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yup

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

Yeah, we had some opportunities in Farmington a few years back that we almost took. But after 2020 we would have been in a tight place if we did.

Realistically, Farmington is probably the best bet at making a decent salary in that region. It’s grown a lot since I was a kid. My parents and my in-laws all wanted to retire to Farmington but decided to stay put when the time came because of how much it grew.

Of course, it’s been 20 years since I’ve spent an extended amount of time in the area so I could be wrong. Shoot, the last time I passed through Fredericktown I was surprised by how much new stuff had popped up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My only valuable job skills are emergency incident management related, so most of what I've been trained for and paid to do would go out the window. I'd be very content trying to make ends meet running an excavator or doing tree work though
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's plenty of tree work available, logging and clearing pipe/power lines are a big industry here. Most of those guys make 30-40k a year for hard ass work. There can be good money in heavy equipment work but not so much unless you're willing to travel or own your own business.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah, we had some opportunities in Farmington a few years back that we almost took. But after 2020 we would have been in a tight place if we did.

Realistically, Farmington is probably the best bet at making a decent salary in that region. It’s grown a lot since I was a kid. My parents and my in-laws all wanted to retire to Farmington but decided to stay put when the time came because of how much it grew.

Of course, it’s been 20 years since I’ve spent an extended amount of time in the area so I could be wrong. Shoot, the last time I passed through Fredericktown I was surprised by how much new stuff had popped up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

Farmington has really grown, I moved here in '95 and it's changed a lot. Mostly for the better. Wages are still pretty meager compared to what the same job pays by driving an hour north. Many people commute.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Farmington has really grown, I moved here in '95 and it's changed a lot. Mostly for the better. Wages are still pretty meager compared to what the same job pays by driving an hour north. Many people commute.
View Quote

Really?  I didn't expect that.

I grew up in Jefferson County & my father commuted into STL for work.  With traffic it was 45 minutes each way 20 years ago.  I couldn't imagine what it would be like commuting from Farmington.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I grew up in Jefferson County & my father commuted into STL for work.  With traffic it was 45 minutes each way 20 years ago.  I couldn't imagine what it would be like commuting from Farmington.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sucks, I've made the commute for a week or two a few times. That was enough for me but yes hundreds of people make that trip every day.

I know a guy that drives from Marquand to Earth City every day
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Im originally from the Caledonia/Belgrade area.  My advice is to stick close to Farmington. The medical care there is good, there's a fair amount of amenities, and it's around an hour to St. Louis.  The 67 Gun Club is cool too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It sucks, I've made the commute for a week or two a few times. That was enough for me but yes hundreds of people make that trip every day.

I know a guy that drives from Marquand to Earth City every day
View Quote

My Dad drove from Caledonia to the Ford assembly plant in St. Louis for ~30 years.  It was ~90 miles one way.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP, your inbox is full.  Send me a message if you want some more info.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#32]
@cj3waker

West Plains Fire is a paid, full time dept. They just hired a new Chief from out of town. Not sure if they have any openings at the moment.

I've got a good buddy that's a realtor in WP that I can set you up with. He just showed me some pics of a place that sounds like what you might be looking for. 80 acres with a small cabin/House on it. 50/50 open and wooded. Ponds and good grass for cattle or horses. Its in the Lanton, MO area and is close to White Ranch Conservation area.

I know of some others in the area too that aren't listed but are for sale in the range you mentioned.

If you want more information or an honest assessment of life in this area shoot me a PM.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:07:56 AM EDT
[#33]
dab2 wife and I have been escaping IL. to Hannibal on a regular basis since July . we love it thinking a lot about moving to the area .
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
When I was a kid we would camp near Marquand on the Castor River. It was awesome.

if you are near Wappapello you aren't far from Duck Creek or Mingo. Both places are great for hunting and fishing
View Quote

Shh.  We don't tell people about the Castor River.  We tell them to go to the Black.  Keeps the citidiots away.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Shh.  We don't tell people about the Castor River.  We tell them to go to the Black.  Keeps the citidiots away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the citidiots would get drown by the methbillies
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
We used to go to the castor river near Zalma and camp too. We fished and trot lined on the Castor near Aquila. My aunt and uncle lived right on it in Brownwood. Spent lots of nights frog gigging. Squirrel hunted out of a John boat. Cut a lot of cypress knees back then too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
dab2 wife and I have been escaping IL. to Hannibal on a regular basis since July . we love it thinking a lot about moving to the area .
View Quote

We can meet up some time if you want.  Just contact (IM) me and the wife and i can meet you somewhere in Hannibal. Maybe catch lunch or dinner together. Will be looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Might look at Houston, MO as an option.

I spent most of my childhood in Texas County.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top