Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2020 9:40:53 AM EDT
Putting together an application packet now.  I'm curious what to expect.  My current county/dept puts together an MSA academy, but it's part time and takes a year.  I think the full-time Jan-April LETI academy is a better fit for the family.  Ripping the bandage off vs a long slow pull, so to speak.

I'm curious if we have any recent graduates here, and what input you may have to offer someone who is completely clueless and green.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The academy is only 4 months? Wow, I am pretty sure the one I went through was twice as long. That was full time, getting paid to be there academy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The academy is only 4 months? Wow, I am pretty sure the one I went through was twice as long. That was full time, getting paid to be there academy.
View Quote

This academy is 4 months, full time.  The "stay in the dept, get paid to work and do part time" academy is 11 months.  I'm having to briefly leave the academy to finish it fast, then will come back.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Things turned out a little differently.  I start the local academy on the 14th.  Will be working full time for my agency while I do the part time (11 month) academy.

However, everything/one I've come across places LETI as a premier quality academy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine was a Deputy for our county. He now works for another department / county. He went through the academy about 5 years ago as a complete newbie. I asked him about the physical requirements and how tough were they. His response was "if my fat ass can do it, so can you."

He also mentioned that our Chief Deputy, after taking a 10 year break, had to go back through the academy at age 55!!!

I'm not mentioning my County name on purpose. The newly elected Sheriff won the election by just a couple votes after slinging mud at the current department / opponent on facebook. The new Sheriff most recent and longest lasting LE experience was as a security guard.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Why on earth would you want to be a cop in today's world???
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#6]
@drobs

That description sounds VERY familiar. Almost like you might border my county....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top