Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2018 10:07:20 AM EDT
Any recommendations of someone in the Northland/Platte City/St Joe market that welds aluminum?  I have a radiator I would like to get patched.

Thank you,
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Any welding shop with a TIG can do it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any welding shop with a TIG can do it.
View Quote
Any shop with an AC Tig welder AND a skilled welder.   Aluminum isn’t the easiest thing in the world to weld.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Any shop with an AC Tig welder AND a skilled welder.   Aluminum isn’t the easiest thing in the world to weld.
View Quote
Emphasis on skilled.  I have a AC TIG welder but I am definitely not skilled...  I will call around then.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:02:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll take welding aluminum over stainless any day of the week.  Thin stainless SUCKS.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Aluminum isn't so bad... I weld it all the time, a Radiator (presume it is a tank that needs patched no the core?) will be pretty thin material... a skilled user could MIG it with a spoolgun and 4043 wire... Stainless is not horrible to weld either. I do that less often but it welds like a dream once you learn what you are doing same with alu...

I'm in Kansas City, West bottoms area if you want to bring it by I can take a look...

if it is the core that needs patched then you would likely be better off and money ahead to just buy a new radiator...
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Its not the core that leaks.  I have two spots of concern.  One where it has rubbed on the steering box and the material is thinning out and secondly where the transmission line enters.  The brass fitting was screwed in to tight and it leaks tranny fluid here.

I will take you up on your offer as you are only 26 miles from me.  PM your number and we can work out a time that works for both of us.  Tell me what you shoot and i can bring you some ammo for payment...

Thank you,
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
You're better off if you know someone who is good at TIG welding.  TIG welding on aluminum is the modern equivalent of Heli-Arc.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You're better off if you know someone who is good at TIG welding.  TIG welding on aluminum is the modern equivalent of Heli-Arc.
View Quote
If only I knew how to TIG Aluminum...
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Somewhere earlier in this thread I thought I saw someone recommend MIG before I replied.

Oletimers is rampant with me.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Somewhere earlier in this thread I thought I saw someone recommend MIG before I replied.

Oletimers is rampant with me.
View Quote
Yeah that was me too... Easy to do... Simple.. IF you know what you are doing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top