Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2018 3:05:00 PM EDT
...on 97.1 FM.

Like every other politician, has no clue to what he's talking about.  If you don't know about a damn subject, either say you dont know, but you'll find out, or don't weigh in.

He made the direct statement of, and I quote "3d printing is inherently dangerous in itself", when talking about the subject of 3d printed guns.

No it's f'n not.  The only thing dangerous about 3d printing is the cheap Chinese printers with zero safety protocols that "could" cause a fire if thermal runaway isn't detected.  Otherwise, 3d printing is as safe as making a cake in the oven.

Then he starts going on about how the sharing of 3d printer files for making firearms isn't a 2nd Amendment issue, but a 1st Amendment issue... Can we say it's both?  He then made the stupid comment about sharing files for making 3d printed guns have been around since the internet started... Um, no, it hasn't.  3d printers have not been around that long.

I'm all for the Constitution, but I cannot stand when people talk out of their asses in regards to things they have no clue about.  If they don't know, then either say it or don't say anything.  I have more respect for the people that admit to not knowing than those who try and bullshit me.

/rant off.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't hear the interview, but I agree with everything you said. It's bad enough that Democrats talk 30 bullet clips; we don't need our side joining them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I heard the interview in its entirety and I don't remember him saying that.  If he did, I'm not sure what context it would have been in.  Maybe amateurs doing it??  I just didn't catch that vibe at all from the guy.

There's a podcast on 97.1's site to download.

EDIT 1: https://971talk.radio.com/blogs/annie-frey-show/annie-frey-show-73118-watch-live

EDIT 2:  He said it around the 26 minute mark in response to President Trump tweet.  Maybe he was referring to cheap Chinese printers.  On the second thing, it's definitely a 1st amendment issue first, then a 2nd amendment second since it's just info or a publication.  You can't "bear arms" with a software file until it actually becomes a gun.  There are tons of videos, websites, publications, etc showing how to make auto sears, lightning links, etc...….I think that's his point.  On the third statement, I took it to be CAD programs for milling machines that have been around since the internet began......he bounces back and forth between the ghost gun mill and the 3D printer.  I don't know--maybe email him and ask him to clarify, or correct him.  The guy sounds knowledgeable otherwise......maybe he misspoke or just has an opinion on the 3D printers from his or someone else's experience with them.  Who knows.....still a seems like a good guy.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I heard the interview in its entirety and I don't remember him saying that.  If he did, I'm not sure what context it would have been in.  Maybe amateurs doing it??  I just didn't catch that vibe at all from the guy.

There's a podcast on 97.1's site to download.

EDIT 1: https://971talk.radio.com/blogs/annie-frey-show/annie-frey-show-73118-watch-live

EDIT 2:  He said it around the 26 minute mark in response to President Trump tweet.  Maybe he was referring to cheap Chinese printers.  On the second thing, it's definitely a 1st amendment issue first, then a 2nd amendment second since it's just info or a publication.  You can't "bear arms" with a software file until it actually becomes a gun.  There are tons of videos, websites, publications, etc showing how to make auto sears, lightning links, etc...….I think that's his point.  On the third statement, I took it to be CAD programs for milling machines that have been around since the internet began......he bounces back and forth between the ghost gun mill and the 3D printer.  I don't know--maybe email him and ask him to clarify, or correct him.  The guy sounds knowledgeable otherwise......maybe he misspoke or just has an opinion on the 3D printers from his or someone else's experience with them.  Who knows.....still a seems like a good guy.
View Quote
However he said it, it came out wrong and rubbed me the wrong way...  Just another politician spewing bullshit.  Again, if you can't put your thoughts into proper context and speak intelligently on a subject, just say nothing, or say I'll research it and get back to you.  Don't stand up there preaching like it's gospel when you've never been to church.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

However he said it, it came out wrong and rubbed me the wrong way...  Just another politician spewing bullshit.  Again, if you can't put your thoughts into proper context and speak intelligently on a subject, just say nothing, or say I'll research it and get back to you.  Don't stand up there preaching like it's gospel when you've never been to church.
View Quote
He's not a politician yet he's a doctor (general surgeon). Fixed a hernia for me a few years ago nice guy and a little green as far as politics go. He stopped by my house awhile back asking for support. The advise I gave him was to support the people to let them do what they want so long as they don't force their will on people or damage another's property. He seemed pretty receptive of then, even repeated it to himself as he was leaving. I'm hoping he get the point and not let special interest groups sway his thinking. I'm currently supporting him.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#5]
On Randy Tobler's show this morning, Randy had invited the top 4 Republican front runners and only Petersen elected to bother to be on it.

I do like Petersen but don't get why others are so aloof?

Petersen did a great job btw, I imagine you can podcast it.

Also, Tim Jones' show Su. at 7-9pm is going to be devoted to primary info as well.

I'm not affiliated w/ 97.1, either show, any of the candidates, yada yada .... but I am dog sitting for a friend this week
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:10:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...on 97.1 FM.

Like every other politician, has no clue to what he's talking about.  If you don't know about a damn subject, either say you dont know, but you'll find out, or don't weigh in.

He made the direct statement of, and I quote "3d printing is inherently dangerous in itself", when talking about the subject of 3d printed guns.

No it's f'n not.  The only thing dangerous about 3d printing is the cheap Chinese printers with zero safety protocols that "could" cause a fire if thermal runaway isn't detected.  Otherwise, 3d printing is as safe as making a cake in the oven.
View Quote
I suspect he's talking about the concept that anyone can pretty much produce anything at any time with the right tools and skills, and that easy availability of the machine code and the machine to execute it on isn't really relevant to what some see as this underlying "problem".

Then he starts going on about how the sharing of 3d printer files for making firearms isn't a 2nd Amendment issue, but a 1st Amendment issue... Can we say it's both?  
View Quote
And he's correct, technically.  The current hissyfit is about the legality of sharing of the files, not directly the home manufacturing of guns.  No existing firearms laws are in question... you still can't legally 3D print a machine gun, an "undetectable" handgun, etc.  The legality of sharing the files is indeed a 1st, not 2nd Amendment issue.  The left has just chosen to target the distribution of the files because, well, they're stupid.  

He then made the stupid comment about sharing files for making 3d printed guns have been around since the internet started... Um, no, it hasn't.  3d printers have not been around that long.
View Quote
3D CAD files have indeed been around since before the internet started... I was working with them then.  In fact I was working with 3D CAD in the same laboratory I first installed Sun's HotJava web browser, one of the very first programs for navigating this brandy-new "world wide web" thingy.  The only thing 3D printers brought to the party was one more flavor of machine-specific g-code the CAD files could be translated into.

I'm all for the Constitution, but I cannot stand when people talk out of their asses in regards to things they have no clue about.  If they don't know, then either say it or don't say anything.  I have more respect for the people that admit to not knowing than those who try and bullshit me.

/rant off.
View Quote
_____

ETA: As to whether gun components in particular were available as 3D CAD files, I dunno... though I suspect they were if you looked around hard enough. But they certainly could have been... individual gun parts are no different than any other three-dimensional doodad, and 3D models could have been produced by any competent CAD engineer with a micrometer and the time and inclination to do so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top