Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2018 7:16:18 PM EDT
Has anyone been there since it has reopened? Is it worth the hassle? We’re passing through in a few days and I’m trying to decide. We won’t be doing the arch. How about the hour long riverboat rides? Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Skip the riverboat rides and go up in the arch instead.  I haven't been to the new museum yet, but all the reviews are good.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The museum is pretty damn neat.

I worked on the project and it is impressive.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Waiting in the security line for the museum now. I’ll report back tonight on how it is and if my car got broke into!
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Waiting in the security line for the museum now. I’ll report back tonight on how it is and if my car got broke into!
View Quote
Cool...take some pics.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Crap, looks like I let ya’ll down. No photos. The museum is definitely worth a visit if you like history or engineering.

On the plus side it was a good visit and the car wasn’t broken into. We did spring for a parking garage a couple blocks away. The security check took 20 minutes to get through but was pretty painless, like the airport but you keep your shoes on. The staff were all friendly and appropriate.

Three complaints, one pretty minor.

The lighting could have been better, my eyes aren’t as good as they ever were. The Mountain Man exhibit was especially dark.

Second I really dislike the layout. Basically to see the exhibits in chronological order you have to keep crossing back and forth. For example
1 2
3 4
5 6
Between the numbers is the main hall and you have to cross back and forth to follow the story they layout in order.

Last, and I’ll admit this is very subjective, I’d rather they supplement their extensive collection of interactive videos with more written plagues, I’d rather just read a plaque as opposed to interacting with a computer. That said I’m not the target audience so I can’t hold it against them.

On the positive side the movie about the Arch is fascinating and well worth seeing. I didn’t know anything about the Arch before today and am floored at the skills it took to design and build it! It really is impressive.

Edit to add one other nit, they have an exhibit about the peace medals the US made for the Native Americans and go to lengths to describe how some of the images were inappropriate but even through they had examples of the medals displayed they didn’t display the “inappropriate” sides! On the plus side they haven’t taken down their plaque about Laura Ingalls Wilder, the lady that wrote Little House on the Prairie, I figured that would have been removed. I also learned that many of the wagons that went West in the 19th Century had odometers! I never knew that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top