Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2018 3:23:30 PM EDT
Working on turning a small portion of the property into a deer plot.

With a neighbor, starting July 4th, the plot was cut down and roundup used.

Feeder was put out and filled with corn (will be removed hunting season)  camera placed.

After 16 days the plot was fertilized, limed and tilled.

Planting this week.  We just caught sight of the 10 pointer from last year.  This is the 2nd night in a row he's been here.  4 bucks now visiting nightly.

Link Posted: 7/23/2018 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what county you hunt in, but placing this for others:

MDC is expanding where you can feed deer:  https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/mdc-expands-deer-feeding-ban-more-counties-response-cwd

Department’s CWD Management Zone where feeding deer and placing minerals for deer is restricted. The Zone consists of counties in or near where cases of the disease have been found. The 48 counties are: Adair, Barry, Benton, Bollinger, Boone, Callaway, Cape Girardeau, Carroll, Cedar, Chariton, Cole, Cooper, Crawford, Dade, Franklin, Gasconade, Grundy, Hickory, Jefferson, Knox, Linn, Livingston, Macon, Madison, McDonald, Mercer, Miller, Moniteau, Morgan, Osage, Ozark, Perry, Polk, Putnam, Randolph, Schuyler, Scotland, Shelby, St. Charles, St. Clair, St. Francois, Ste. Genevieve, St. Louis, Stone, Sullivan, Taney, Warren, and Washington.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent thread OP. Let’s keep this one up.  Keep the pics coming OP

I cleaned up a lot of brush and shooting lanes post season/winter of this year so I’m anxious for bow season this fall.  I like to wait until it turns colder so mid-late Oct through November for me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

MDC is expanding where you can feed deer:  https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/mdc-expands-deer-feeding-ban-more-counties-response-cwd

Department's CWD Management Zone where feeding deer and placing minerals for deer is restricted. The Zone consists of counties in or near where cases of the disease have been found. The 48 counties are: Adair, Barry, Benton, Bollinger, Boone, Callaway, Cape Girardeau, Carroll, Cedar, Chariton, Cole, Cooper, Crawford, Dade, Franklin, Gasconade, Grundy, Hickory, Jefferson, Knox, Linn, Livingston, Macon, Madison, McDonald, Mercer, Miller, Moniteau, Morgan, Osage, Ozark, Perry, Polk, Putnam, Randolph, Schuyler, Scotland, Shelby, St. Charles, St. Clair, St. Francois, Ste. Genevieve, St. Louis, Stone, Sullivan, Taney, Warren, and Washington.
View Quote
I do not live\hunt nor am I establishing this plot in any of those counties.  Thanks for the heads up though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I do not live\hunt nor am I establishing this plot in any of those counties.  Thanks for the heads up though.
View Quote
Ya, I'm not a conservation agent , but I did just read about this getting expanded to some new counties.  Just about everybody I know, puts feed out or a salt block, but it's a class A misdemeanor now if caught and for good reason...we need to find a cure for this CWD shit.  I don't think there is a case of it yet being transmitted from deer to human, but who would want to be the first.

Link Posted: 7/23/2018 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I like where you placed that plot. Good staging area, just before dark.

Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Video of the deer plot.  It was planted today.

Link Posted: 7/25/2018 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#7]
^ cool video

I too am just starting out with some land and trying to learn all I can.

Not only about your food plot but also your drone.

I have been thinking that having one would make a lot of sense for me on my place.

Anything you can share would be very welcome.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Wish I had a spot like that. Not very much huntable public land in MO.

Is your avatar the Liger that was at the Eureka Springs place? Hard to forget that face,

Dave
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#9]
They're still coming to the feeder.  Got some good rain in today so I hope the seeds that were planted start to get going.

The weather also seems to have pushed this guy into the daylight hours.   Taken at 8am.

edit to add I went out to check out how the seeding went first hand.

Link Posted: 7/29/2018 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Department’s CWD Management Zone where feeding deer and placing minerals for deer is restricted. The Zone consists of counties in or near where cases of the disease have been found. The 48 counties are: Adair, Barry, Benton, Bollinger, Boone, Callaway, Cape Girardeau, Carroll, Cedar, Chariton, Cole, Cooper, Crawford, Dade, Franklin, Gasconade, Grundy, Hickory, Jefferson, Knox, Linn, Livingston, Macon, Madison, McDonald, Mercer, Miller, Moniteau, Morgan, Osage, Ozark, Perry, Polk, Putnam, Randolph, Schuyler, Scotland, Shelby, St. Charles, St. Clair, St. Francois, Ste. Genevieve, St. Louis, Stone, Sullivan, Taney, Warren, and Washington.
View Quote
Lol. Yeah, I'll get right on removing my mineral sites.

Today I moved a ladder stand and pulled my camera card. We don't get a lot of monsters where I'm at in Macon County, but I'll be watching for this guy:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lol. Yeah, I'll get right on removing my mineral sites.

Today I moved a ladder stand and pulled my camera card. We don't get a lot of monsters where I'm at in Macon County, but I'll be watching for this guy:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/347339/STC_0153-623568.JPG
View Quote
Nice!  That a stick stuck in his horns?
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice!  That a stick stuck in his horns?
View Quote
I thought so at first, but it's just a dead limb sticking out behind him.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Coons are getting big off the corn.

Where's my corn?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
Oh my...
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#16]
The rain has really helped the food plot.

Link Posted: 9/4/2018 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#17]
We're hunting crickets in this thread...

Dove season opener, deer season in a short while.

Thread is too quiet.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Can't get around much anymore, so little hunting other than deer, but I still do some shootin'.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Are there any hogs runnin thru there?
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Are there any hogs runnin thru there?
View Quote
No hogs here.  I don't think this area has a big issue at all.  South east has problems as well as some places in the Ozarks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Can't get around much anymore, so little hunting other than deer, but I still do some shootin'.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/2018-8-7_Tuesday_Night-661832.JPG
View Quote
That needs a suppressor on it!  I sometimes consider taking mine when I am not see anything in the stand and they are running everywhere.

Been wondering how the wildlife would be during alternative season with an AR pistol with an SBA3 brace?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#22]
If I could afford it, I'd have a suppressor on there.

For Alternative season, I'll be using my 10.5" pistol.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#23]
The big buck stuck around for a LONG time last night.  The deer feeder came down Friday, guess they were searching for it?

Sept 8th at 8:21 pm to Sept 9th at 3:57 am I have him on a bunch of game camera pics.

Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I checked my trail cam today; asst squirrels and rabbits, one possum, and two dogs that the neighbors let run loose.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Any news from the fields?

The 10 pinter still lives.  Last sighting 22nd but late at night here.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Still showing up.  Just not at daylight.  He spent from 8:15pm Friday to 12:45am Saturday in the area.

Link Posted: 10/14/2018 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#27]
This is about 30 yards outside my bathroom window. Does with fawns have been pretty regular, with an occasional buck coming through. (My place is just a corridor, from creek bottoms up in the hardwoods of a Conservation Area).
Attachment Attached File

I have a blind up by our little pond, but it's facing East and I can't hunt it in the morning. It's like being under a spotlight.
Attachment Attached File

That's made out of a rug display rack from Sams Club, so I got another one and made a second blind on the East side of the pond. Most of the deer travel North/South on this side, so I put it in a little strip of woods between trails.
Looking at it from the trail that goes around the pond, facing East;
Attachment Attached File

...and looking at it from the South.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I have my ammo loaded for the 45-70 and 10MM. That’s about all I’ve gotten done so far. 180 gold dots over BE86 for the 10, 300 gr Speers over H-4198 for the 45-70.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 1:03:30 AM EDT
[#29]
The 10 point hasn't shown up in a bit.  These two are out there now.  Nothing much during hunting hours.

Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought some ammo today, since I'm almost out of the Russian hollow points. I wanted Core-Lokt, but didn't have my reading glasses with me and the counter lady said that's what these are. It'll do.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#31]
I was able to scout and hang 3 more stands Saturday.  I found several rubs that got me a little excited.  I'm hoping to take off and get in one more bowhunt before the weekend.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Gonna be cold this weekend boys
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#33]
At least it won't be raining.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Going to be cold in the Richmond area in the morning, supposed to be like 17 degrees.  I hate cold.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#36]
A 12 point yesterday morning at 7:30.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Just a coyote yesterday morning. Silent death with the suppressed 300BO.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I have passed on a bunch of does. Tomorrow will be if it’s brown it’s down!
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Haven't seen a deer yet. Letting the boy miss school tomorrow. We will be out in the morning
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Passed on a lot of (30-35) deer over the weekend. Cool with that as I'm hunting horns this year, anything under 140" is a no go for me.
Was watching a fork horn walk my field yesterday morning for 30 minutes. Then five minutes after he cleared my fence line, a volley of 4 shots rang out in the neighboring property. 20 minutes later the fork shows up with his leg dangling, they didn't try to retrieve him. I'm pissed as it's an illegal harvest from some cocksuckers that don't put in the work.

I met these fuckers last year as they were walking my fence looking onto my property (they have been hunting there for the past 2 years). They said they thought I was the city slicker leasing the place. I've owned my place for 23 years, longer than everyone around for 2 goddamn miles. Fuck those guy's, I turned them in as I have them on 3 of my cameras Saturday morning.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:18:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Missed a large buck.  Heard him grunting off to my left but couldn't see him on Saturday morning.  It was so still that I was able to hear him walking towards me and when I finally saw him he was in some heavy brush and thick areas and angling up and away into more.  I took a shot and didn't get him.

I keep forgetting I have an AR and should double tap!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Saturday

Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

Not huge but I’m out of time to hunt so. After the shot he crashed into a tree and broke off his left antler. 6x4, has three brow tines on the left side.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:45:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Going back out Wednesday, hopefully Mark Twain wont be nearly as packed as it was on Saturday morning.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#45]
The Grendel lost its virgin status.  Straight on shot, broke the right shoulder and split the heart into a V, Hornady 123gr SST at about 50 yards.

Hadn't seen anything and was just looking around and saw movement about 90-100 yards up on a hill.  Turns out it was the top of a cedar sapling that moved, figured a squirrel jumped on to it.  But it didn't stop and began swinging side to side alot and not stopping so I figured it had to be a buck doing it but couldn't see a thing.  A few minutes later I see movement as he is coming down the hill and angling towards me, I had some doe in heat stuff out.  At first I thought he was a six-pointer and when I got my scope on him, I saw a drop tine, so I dropped him.  Headed back out Monday and Tuesday for does.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Nice job guys. Some great deer
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Button buck, 8am today. I bought some .223 hunting ammo recently, but decided to use my 7mm mag instead. I used my Bushmaster last year.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Got this doe yesterday morning, was the first deer I’ve seen this season.

.300 BLK with Barnes 110 gr Tac TX

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Well we seen our first deer of the year tonight. Of course he was behind us. Got the boy turned around and lined up but couldn't be sure he had 4 points on a side. All points but brow time broke off his right side and could count 3 but not 4 on his left. He was with in 40 yards but wouldn't show his head, bunch of clear shots at the vitals. Then a big fat fork horn came right out in front of us in the wide open. Oh well another youth season next weekend hope he can close the deal then
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Enjoyed the trail cam and drone shots!

I was lucky enough for a coworker to invite me out to his land to hunt opening weekend.

Took this decent size doe in the first half hour of the season. She ran in to about 30 yards over my left shoulder in the brush; had to wait to get into shooting position until she had worked out of the brush into a shooting lane about 100 yards into the field I was hunting. Clean double lung/heart shot...dropped where she stood.

For the gear nuts: Tikka T3x in .308, Vortex 4-12x40 Diamondback, 165gr Hornady American Whitetail...I need to build an AR in .308.

Took my first ever deer with them last year, they showed me how to field dress, hang it, and break it down. This year I was able to take care of it all on my own...she's already sausage in the freezer.

I bought a bow and have been practicing with it...so my next mission is to find somewhere to get out for archery season (maybe even public land)...I don't want to take advantage of their hospitality.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top