Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2018 8:58:36 AM EDT
Last weekend the family and I strolled through Frontier Park and at the entrance is a sign saying firearms prohibited.

I figured they must be old and thought I would send them an email explaining state preemption.

Today I look online at they actually still have an ordinance on the books prohibiting firearms but there is no mention of "except as allowed by Rsmo.... Etc."

https://www.ecode360.com/27701701
Section 255.100 Hunting and Firearms. [1]
[R.O. 2009 §99.20; CC 1981 §21-45(b); Ord. No. 77-23, 6-1-1977; Ord. No. 81-41, 5-6-1981; Ord. No. 86-214, 8-13-1986]
A.
It shall be unlawful for any person, while in or about any City park, to hunt, trap or pursue wildlife at any time. No person shall use, carry or possess firearms of any description or air pistols, spring guns, bows and arrows, slings or any other forms of weapons potentially inimical to wildlife and dangerous to human safety or any instrument that can be loaded with fire blank cartridges or any kind of trapping device. Shooting into park areas from beyond park boundaries is forbidden. The carrying, possession or use of firearms of any description or air rifles, air pistols, spring guns, bows and arrows, slings or any other forms of weapons shall be permissible while such weapons are being carried to and from a designated area of use of the aforementioned weapons. All such weapons shall be carried in an unloaded and in carrying cases or broken down.

I plan on addressing this but am curious what thoughts you guys have.

http://revisor.mo.gov/main/OneSection.aspx?section=21.750&bid=455&hl=
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Never noticed it. But I don't pay much attention to no weapons signs....
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never noticed it. But I don't pay much attention to no weapons signs....
View Quote
Neither do I, but the fact they have an ordinance on the books that is in conflict with state law can be an issue.

Hopefully the police are aware that it is not enforceable.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Is Frontier Park a city park? Wouldn't that be considered city property?

I think the preemption really only prevents a (blanket) ordinance prohibiting concealed carry within city limits. I think a city can still have an ordinance prohibiting guns on city property.

If I am wrong, which I may very well be, please cite the statute .

ETA. Didn't see the statute link above. I was skimming to fast.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is the response I received from St. Charles.

Mr. Cbr954,

I am the Chief Park Ranger for the City of St Charles and your comment has been forwarded to me. I  understand your thoughts and can assure you the Police Department and Park Rangers are very aware of open carry and State Statues. Obviously CCW and open carry are permissible in all St Charles Parks. The current ordinance also refers to the Hunting with in St Charles Parks which is prohibited for use by any type of weapon. While this ordinance was established many years ago, we will certainly look into the re-wording of this ordinance. If you would like to discuss please fel free to give me a call.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Good job man!!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya they just never bothered to reword the law. It was toothless anyways.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top