Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2018 5:10:02 PM EDT
I was wondering if some of the MO logging companies will remove trees, like oak and such, for free if they get to keep the wood?  Is there a certain number or type of tree?

Mostly just curious at this point.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The way I understand it, if you have good acreage with lots of the trees they want, like mostly black walnut, they'll come in and do what they need to do and stack the tree cores needed and come back later and pickup. I don't know about their cleanup procedures, but I've not seen any burning on properties by the farm owners that are close by me where they've cut trees and then stacked by the road. So, I'm assuming they also bring in a industrial shredder for the limbs. Don't know about grinding down the stumps afterwards either.

They won't/don't come in and cut any trees down in anyone's yards. They only want old growth forest trees as the cores are anywhere between 8 to 12 feet long and diameters of around 18 to 36 inches across.

In my area they look for black walnut, so unsure about red or white oak.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:29:55 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have enough decent lumber they'll actually pay you.  Not much from what I've heard but something is better than nothing
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have walnut trees that are straight, you can make some serious money on those.  That damn beetle that spreads the TCD fungus has killed thousands of walnut trees over the last 10 yrs, so the price on them is WAY up.  Red oak and white oak are still big business in Missouri,  but there's a sh!tload more of those out there than black walnut trees.  Plus, it's not just the trees......walnut shells and nuts are just as important as the lumber to this state.

I forget the number, but City of STL took down something like 75,000 ash trees last year because of the emerald ash borer.  Smart move on their part rather than leaving it all to Ameren after the first big ice or windstorm.

Not many natural resources that this state exports anymore now lead is out........so don't move firewood, don't risk wildfires, etc.  MO needs the hardwood industry.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#6]
As said above, solid mature white oaks and walnuts are worth some coin.  Cottonwoods and sycamores are sometimes cut for pallet wood, but they don't bring as much.  What loggers won't do is clean up the tops for you.  When they are done logging, there will be a mess.  You can leave the mess to rot, or work to make it go away - i.e. cutting firewood, stacking brush, etc.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#7]
A mess is an understatement. Ruts, trees not used taken down for paths totally destroyed for anything but rats and rabbits. Impossible to walk across from what I have seen them do in the National Forest.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have a bunch of smaller stuff (not big enough for saw logs), some will cut it for chip wood.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#9]
if you don't burn wood , you can list the tops for free Firewood
they just have to push up whats left in a pile with a bobcat .. you
shouldn't have any trouble getting some one to clean up the area .
ive cleaned up a couple 100 + acres lots that was logged , i got a shit load
of good red and white oak as well as a few walnut ,
TS2
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I've helped clean up a lot of logged properties (i.e. cut firewood and sometimes stack the brush).  In my experience, two or three guys that all burn wood can cut tops off of 40 acres of logged property for 2 - 3 years and still not have everything cleaned up completely.  Obviously it depends on how many trees are cut.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top