Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2018 1:57:29 PM EDT
So, old furnace was a POS electric (15k Kw), and a single stage, 10 Seer,  2.5 ton condenser.  Morons installed the old unit outside on concrete blocks.

Today they are installing a 96.3% Efficient Bryant 2-stage gas furnace, 2-stage 16 Seer, 3.0 ton condenser with a fully variable speed blower motor.  New condenser installed on correct pad.

Just a wee bit of size difference...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Huge difference.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I have two furnaces/A.C.’s that need replaced. Both are 1979 units, the A.C. is a 7 seer and the furnaces are 55% efficient.

Now all I need is several thousand dollars.
View Quote
You're gonna need more than several.. This install is costing me just over $7k before sales tax.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't wait for the gas to be turned on tomorrow!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Looks nicely installed.
View Quote
The only thing I'm not big on is using the copper line for the gas supply.  They said it's code to do so, but I dunno... Looks sub par compared to the nice job they did on everything else.  They don't come today to turn on the gas until between noon-5pm... I'm contemplating replacing it with black iron.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Copper must be continuous or brass connectors.  No solder joints.  They come apart in a fire.

Kopeis  install ?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Copper must be continuous or brass connectors.  No solder joints.  They come apart in a fire.

Kopeis  install ?
View Quote
Yes sir.  Koppeis installed it.  Single copper tube with flair fittings on the ends.

ETA:  All 3 of his son's did the work.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought that Black Iron was the ONLY acceptable pipe for natural gas?
View Quote
No, stainless is also acceptable.  That's the flexible stuff you see in stores for hooking up appliances.  To me, that's sketchy too.  It's nothing more than thin wall spiral wound stainless, with a heat shrunk jacket of some material over it.

Being from IL, I've just NEVER seen anyone with copper tubing.  At gas line pressure of 1/2 PSI, it's no where near busting, but I just worry about corrosion over time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like they did a good install for sure. Good timing too as far as outside temps...Glad ya didn't wait till middle of summer
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#12]
In some areas, the flex connectors are used for seismic considerations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top