What strips to use
Padding
Want good moisture resistance.
For a bedroom in basement
Normal prices to pay
View Quote

I know a lot.
Don't buy it at Lowes.
What type depends on your situation, dogs, kids, etc.
Let the installer decide what strips to use.
There's only one type of carpet with any moisture resistance. It's a plastic backed carpet by Shaw.  Of course when the installer puts the stretcher head on it and pokes 60 holes in it, that spot isn't so moisture resistant anymore.
You get what you pay for, you can pay anywhere from $.50 -$20 $ square foot.  If you want something decent you'll be paying at least 4 or 5 bucks a square foot for caret and probably 30-50 cents a square foot for pad.  I have no idea what installation costs in St. Louis.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you'd be better off to paint the concrete floor and put down a nice area rug.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:31:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Glue down vinyl plank is really popular, very durable, and isn't as ugly as it sounds
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Not sure what area you're in, but you might check Michael's Carpet in St. Charles...

I heard about them on 97.1...  When we bought our house in Norco we went to them, they were a few bucks cheaper than most other places and had really good reviews...

When we went out there, they were really nice, friendly, explained everything and were not pushy...

I've been told that the padding and stuff you put down is almost as expensive as the carpet...  Seems like we paid about a grand to carpet a pretty decent sized Living room, long hallway with a L shape turn and a closet.

They did a great job taking out the old stuff and installing the new...

Also, they sent someone out to measure everything like a week before the carpet was installed...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top