Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2016 3:04:53 PM EDT
Have a new to me 2012 Sierra 4WD SLT Duramax with 108k miles.

Used car lot was nice enough to power wash the underside to hide the oil leak.  Well, now that it's mine (purchased from Houston, TX), it's leaking.

I've read that there's multiple locations for these to leak, but fortunately, the rear main seal is very rare.  More common locations seem to be the oil pressure sensor, the lower oil pan gasket, and the oil galley plugs on either side of the crank.

After crawling under it, about 1/2 way down the passenger side, the oil pan goes from bone dry to soaking wet at one of the oil pan bolts.  Based on this, I'm ass-u-me'ing that the lower oil pan gasket is leaking at this point, since the block above it and everything in front of it appears to be dry.

I watched a video on replacing said gasket, and it appears pretty straightforward.  Pull out 4 bolts and pry out the engine cross member, then drop the pan, clean the surfaces, and replace the parts.

I simply do not have the time or gumption to do said repair.  If someone on here is interested in doing a quality repair for less than 'stealership' pricing, I can pay in cash or rifle/pistol brass, your choice.

*ETA* St. Louis metro.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Try snugging down the oil pan bolts first, sometimes that will work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try snugging down the oil pan bolts first, sometimes that will work.
View Quote

I would agree if it had a gasket.  The 'gasket' is made from RTV because some stupid Isuzu engineer decided it would be better than a neoprene like I use on my race car.  I've got the 'white' compound roloc bristle pad, and "The Right Stuff" Permatex on the way.  Will fix it myself this weekend.  Stealership wants $250 to do it.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Listen I know you are on the east side but........ you need to take your truck to the shop I mention below.  They are the Duramax experts in STL.  Call them up and talk to Brad or David and in 5 minutes you'll see why this shop is for you.  I am ungodly picky about who I let touch my cars when its stuff I can't do or have time to do and this is the only shop in the STL regional area that I 100% trust with my high end stuff.

Certified Performance - Moscow Mills, MO 636-356-4200

FYI, make sure to check out the late 90's crew cab truck that they swapped a newer Duramax into.  Totally badass.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Listen I know you are on the east side but........ you need to take your truck to the shop I mention below.  They are the Duramax experts in STL.  Call them up and talk to Brad or David and in 5 minutes you'll see why this shop is for you.  I am ungodly picky about who I let touch my cars when its stuff I can't do or have time to do and this is the only shop in the STL regional area that I 100% trust with my high end stuff.

Certified Performance - Moscow Mills, MO 636-356-4200

FYI, make sure to check out the late 90's crew cab truck that they swapped a newer Duramax into.  Totally badass.
View Quote

Well, like I said, I've already got the repair stuff on the way.  I also, just this morning, ordered PPEI EFI Live (+200HP), and a 4" Flo Pro Exhaust.

I'm slightly mechanically inclined, just lazy.  This is my toy, and unlike GM's mass produced junk, it doesn't leak oil.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top