Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2015 3:36:00 PM EDT
Years ago when we had the gun shop we needed a Milling Machine and long story short I was under the effects of Cancer and Chemo at the time and someone else went to look at a machine and bought it without really asking any questions... it was a 1.5HP Mill/Drill it had a lot of issues, won't run on the slowest speed without tripping the breaker, won't run on the highest speed without tripping the breaker but in between it will run...

Little to no tooling available, it has a 3MT spindle, so after many moons I was finally able to score some collets that will work with it. The Dial Collars on the X-Y and Z were useless... the X axis was seized and immovable, the Y axis would not lock.. the Z would not move...
So no good way of knowing where you were on the machine... I recently got it moved to my home garage... instead of having it reside somewhere else.

Well I decided I wanted it to be useable for SOMETHING other than a fancy drill press... So I would need to know for sure where I was...
I looked into DRO... Everything I could find cost more than the machine was worth...
Then Thumbing through the Grizzly Catalog I spotted some IGaging Remote Display Digital Scales... They have a nice little LCD display on each one that are magnetic so you can stick them on the machine and stack several up for each axis...

Nice but the displays are tough to see in a hurry, are not backlit, etc. etc...
So I started looking at Open DRO from Shumatec and while researching that I stumbled upon "Touch DRO" an app for an android tablet... for a display with a small controller built from an Arduino UNO micro processor... with simple coding... Hmmm  Says I ... this could work...

Arduino DRO DIY Build Instructions | Yuriy's Toys

I built the Controller using his instructions from his Blog
Arduino UNO micro processor board...
$25 Shipped (could probably be had cheaper) on Amazon
Prototype Shield Arduino UNO $6.50 shipped this is a piggyback board for the UNO that is unpopulated allowing custom circuits to be built...
A Grand total of 5 resistors, some wires and some USB Mini "B" jacks on breakout boards to solder too.
and last but not least a $10 Bluetooth transceiver Board...

A little soldering later and Voila! Works FINE! Once Calibrated

Got a much maligned Pyle Audio Astro 9" Tablet for $40 Shipped off Amazon...

About $210 total cost...

Needed a nice custom Plate to go on the front of the Z Scale cover...

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if anyone has given you any props lately, but....

Is there NOTHING you can not do ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure if anyone has given you any props lately, but....

Is there NOTHING you can not do ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!

View Quote

It was once claimed that I could be dropped in a South American Rain forest with nothing more than a leatherman and a loin cloth and in two weeks I would have a major international airport built... Never got to test that one.

Currently I am attempting to find alternative employment and I can't seem to get an interview... WTH? Don't they know who I am????

Let's see, skillsets are broad...
I have been an Auto Mechanic (pretty much nuthin I cain't do with a race car)
a Stint in the US Military
I have been a Telecom guy...
Built computers
Built Guns
Precision Measurement Lab guy
Electronics Tech (Component Level, NASA Soldering School, SMT Rework Certified...) in R&D Lab for Allied Signal Aerospace helping design avionics boxes for Airliners (ATR Air Transport and Regional)
Machinist
Quality Tech...
I am currently working as a packer at Lake City taking a $7 per hour REDUCTION in pay from my LAB job, and soon (August 3rd) I will be getting a further Reduction in pay of $4 per hour making an $11 pay cut since March 31... Glad we got that union....

Trying to find alternate employment SOONEST... if anyone knows anywhere that can use my skills holler... Prefer the KC area.. I don't want to move...
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice machine...

On a secondary note:  Not that everyone has to have a degree, but do you have one?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, you're over qualified.

So, when are we going to have a machining party?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
It saddens me that you may be on hard times because your value is not recognized.

I thought you had your own company formed... yes ?  ( small though it might be, but still... )

You are quite the Handy Man, at minimum, and ( I assume you to ) have a solid network of people with pin-point skill sets if you needed them to fill in the gaps.

I have seen you post about side jobs in the past and I KNOW you could easily drum up a solid amount of work if you put your mind to that task.

Sir.  You exude self confidence and 'get the job done' with damn near every 'submit' entry of yours I have read in these past 5 -6 years I have been here.

If you wanted a team I would bet there are quite a few MOHF West Side members / lurkers on your side who would follow your lead... if you wanted to limit your team to just local ARFCOM.

A few months of material costs, a couple people you know who would give a shit about the work they put out, with your leadership & know-how...

Sir.  You got it.  Don't let anyone tell you different.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're not including any pictures of your skills like this in your resume', then you're overlooked as just another "Why YES, I can do that" type.

You got skills man, I wished I would of stayed a machinist(apprentice) after I graduated high school instead of joining the Air Force. Their idea of being a machinist was loading bombs under the wings of aircraft.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Check with Duke Rentals. They're a competitor, but I know that they're looking for field mechanics. Not my first preference, but if you're hurting I think they're paying in the $29/hr neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty impressive.

Would you consider returning to building AK's and the like by yourself as a side job?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty impressive.

Would you consider returning to building AK's and the like by yourself as a side job?
View Quote

Sure... if I could afford the licensing!
ITAR fees are astronomical now.
the license itself is not bad. Advertising is expensive too.
I do still have the magic AK building box and a hammer...
And a Rock...
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Your posts never disappoint.  I wish you the best of luck on finding some new employment.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Seriously, I"m in awe of that.  That is the sort skill that I aspire.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Thanks for the props fellas...

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I make these as well.

Powder coated Red, Black, Yellow, Blue, Chrome, or what have you.

Tool for turning over the crank on an engine

Replacing a Broken one...

Shelf Brackets

My Logo, it appears on everything, Gavin Houston (Toothles Rooster) made the design for me...

Hummingbird Feeder Hooks

Quietener All gone now...

Chain Clips for Football Refs (Head Linesman)

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#14]
You deserve far better. I truly hope your business takes off until you have to hire a  crap load of young barely competent machinist to keep up....
Excellent work too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Talent, you have it in spades!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top