Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2015 10:50:11 PM EDT
I have been researching recipes for some jerky recipes. I have recently bought a jerky cannon. I have been making deer jerky for many years, but this will be the first attempt with ground deer. Any ideas?
And also I am serious. Hope the moderators see this. Lets have a Good Eats for all good restaraunts, or recipes at home section on here.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#1]
tag

I've got a whole bunch of ground from my first deer in the freezer and just got a jerky gun myself.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#2]
As a noob who's never hunted a day in his life, why jerky? Why not say a deer steak or the like? Just curious.....
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:36:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As a noob who's never hunted a day in his life, why jerky? Why not say a deer steak or the like? Just curious.....
View Quote
I would gather the Jerky was just a starter...

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are a lot of scraps left over after processing a deer. A lot of people grind this up for sausage or jerky. I know guys that turn the whole deer into jerky because they like jerky.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 for a good eats sticky

As far jerky I just buy the seasoning at the local grocery store meat dept.   One package makes 25 pounds so I just do the math & make 2-4 pounds at a time.    Depends on your dehydrator but it could be done in 3-8 hours.  Mine takes about 3 hours, my old crappy one took 8-9 hours.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

What else would we sell at gun shows? It's easier to make jerky than beanie babies
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Made Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches out of some backstrap last night.

Best.

Sammich.

Evah.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Some of my favorite threads.....

ETA:  one of my favorites is the crockpot/banana pepper recipe.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

We do that too. But some parts of deer are more suitable for jerky.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Had me some tuna salad sammich tonight, left the cheese off and added avocado slices to it. Yes sir!!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:24:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Fixed a whole Choice Rib Roast for Christmas, I was terrified I would screw up a $169.00 slab of beef.

It came out a Perfect Medium Rare

Anyone else watch the reruns of Good Eats?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I made elk burgers last week, I mixed 1 lbs ground elk, with just under a 1/4 lbs ground chuck, sprinkled with salt and coarse ground pepper. Grilled medium rare, topped with a smokey cheddar, and served on a fresh onion bun. They were amazing!
(Most directions I found urged only adding enough beef to add a little fat, don't add a bunch of eggs, bread crumbs, seasoning, etc. since the elk meat has such a great taste. Many also warned not to handle/mix too much, just enough to combine the beef.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top