Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2014 11:57:16 PM EDT
There were reliable reports that Jim Cantore and team were seen in the KC Metro yesterday.

NOAA SPC increased the "Moderate Risk" blob on their map to include all of AR and a huge swath of MO, including the Springfield and KC areas. 45%+ chance of severe hail, along with all the other storm stuff.

I'll be heading southwest in the morning to chase. Will post any worthy pics when I can. If you're a ham in SW MO (SPFD/Joplin) I'll be monitoring 146.52/146.55 and various local repeaters as we drive. PM me with your callsign and location if you plan to be out; I'll try to make contacts.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:59:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Good hunting.  

Actually . . . bad hunting, because good hunting means bad things are happening.

I'm a ham,  but on the wrong side of the state for VHF / UHF.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Another round coming tonight up here by Omaha, apparently. Same story back home in Laddonia, too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Decent thunder and rain here in St Louis but nothing bad yet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Still sorting through pictures, but we seem to have dodged most of it. Caught a few glimpses of a tornado touchdown west of Joplin, trees prevented any good pictures. Saw a couple wall clouds form, some funnels starting to drop but not touching, and one rain-wrapped tornado skip across I49 just north of Lamar (no touchdown, just a beautiful white rope). The late-morning storms took a lot of the moisture and energy out of the system, if that hadn't happened the afternoon could've been a lot nastier.

We headed north about an hour before sunset; things weren't lining up well and we were running out of daylight.

Thoughts and prayers with the folks in Vilonia and other places.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Twister just west of Joplin, the only one we saw that made ground contact, no good sight lines to it. I *think* this may the one that hit Baxter Springs.

And a beautiful wall cloud northwest of Joplin:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top