Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2012 12:18:07 PM EDT
My niece is dating a guy down in oklahoma. he claims to be a Marine,ex special forces. and that his records were destroyed. ios there anyone that can check his records? thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Saying that his records were destroyed is a pretty big signal that he's lying... Just ask what units he has served in, it will be bull if he says that's classified unless he's currently in that unit.

It seems like everyone was/is in special forces now days....
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
He's full of it. I'm active duty Army and don't know squat about the Marines personally but I can tell you, unless he was doing super secret squirrel stuff hus records didn't get destroyed. I'm good friends with a guy who spent many, many years in Marine Recon (MARSOC) and his stuff was never put that deep undercover.

If you call a Marine Reserve unit, I bet they would try to help you. Regardless of the branch of service, we don't like posers and take glory in exposing them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
He is lying...  Wish I cold help you prove it, but anyone that comes out and says that is lying.  He would at least have a service record of everything he did that was not "Super Secret".  Especially if he used the word Special Forces, he is not telling the truth.  I would guess he was not in at all, or that he barely squeaked through boot camp and then got kicked out for something.  I would try contacting someone at http://www.stolenvalor.com/ and see if they can help you find out for sure.  I would also tell your niece to get away from him.

Phil
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I had fun a few years ago busting all the so called Marine Scout Snipers that I ran across at the bars. After a couple of questions, they would start fidgeting and want to change the subject. As far as records being destroyed or classified, the military does NOT do that. They might redact or pull certain items, but never classify someone's entire personnel record as top secret. Anyone that was really was/is assigned to Special Operations Command (no matter what branch) will not go bragging about it.
I served 7 years in the Army and there are a few things that I can't talk about for 50 years from my ETS but no part of my records are sealed.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Military records don't get destroyed...Hes full of shit. Find another jar head to interview him. He will sniff him out
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#6]
To add on to the other posts..., soldiers, sailors, airmen or marines that serve under the SOCOM umbrella take great pride in their specific duties/assignment. You will never hear a professional Marine that served in Marine Recon/MARSOC say he served in Special Forces. Those guys would use the terms/acronyms appropriate for their service. We all know that 'Special Forces' is a ln Army qualification/assignment and ad others stated here, that alone is a red flag.

Those that serve in SOCOM are often referred to as 'The Silent Professionals' because they don't grandstand on their assignments or brag about what they do. They prefer to be recognized as just another person. Your hard pressed to find one who will even bring their service up unless they are talking to another military member.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
To add on to the other posts..., soldiers, sailors, airmen or marines that serve under the SOCOM umbrella take great pride in their specific duties/assignment. You will never hear a professional Marine that served in Marine Recon/MARSOC say he served in Special Forces. Those guys would use the terms/acronyms appropriate for their service. We all know that 'Special Forces' is a ln Army qualification/assignment and ad others stated here, that alone is a red flag.

I do know one guy who was a marine and then went special forces (in the Army). Not trying to defend the guy but just saying it is a possibility to change branches.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do know one guy who was a marine and then went special forces (in the Army). Not trying to defend the guy but just saying it is a possibility to change branches.

True and very valid point in a scenario like that.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I think if I could just prove whether he served or not would be fine. could a recruiting office help me? guess I ll give them a call.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Military records don't get destroyed...Hes full of shit. Find another jar head to interview him. He will sniff him out

Well, maybe sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Although the Marines send people to special operations command and now MARSOC.  I have never heard a Marine say he was special forces, I have heard them say I was CSO and it kind of like the special forces for the Marines.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]
http://www.ksdk.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=111942
This DB worked in my office back in 2007.   He had stories that you wouldn't believe.  I think he truly believed it himself.

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#14]
The only time records were destroyed was in the 70's in a fire in St. Louis.  

I'm just a regular grunt, but was in a hospital with a 18 series guy who had done some secret squirrel stuff. His erb was not redacted in any way, showed unit assignments, and MACOM areas of deployment. Sounds like your niece is dating a liar.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup, Jefferson Barracks it was a mess for my Grandfather's records.  Luckily he had enough information already for benefits.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Arfcom has a military side accessible to active, non-active military. Mil credentials are vetted the way I understand, my sons former Army. Anyone asks him what he did through 3 tours he smiles a says he was a cook. Mil side also has an over zealous crew who spend much of their time questioning mil service. They spent a week or two verifying Rogue4 was indeed Army, cook that is. Evidently a few have a contact who has mil record access. Don't ask me who, or why, or how. I think it gets pretty stupid when a good many active and non active are challenged to prove service. It does sound like your guy is a fake and the hit squad would be well suited for the task. Try posting in GD. Very good chance you will find guys tripping over themselves to vet this guy over the phone.

dc.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#17]
This crap sickens me!  I had a brother in law that still claims he's an ex Navy Seal.  He even had a news station bust him down in Florida for making claims of being a Navy Seal, and that his exercise classes were based on his training.  He still claims to be a Navy Seal, and tells the family that he'll never be able to tell anyone what he did, and that the news station didn't have the facts because everything is still classified.

Sad.

DBAR
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#18]
His paper records that HE might have had may have been destroyed, but all of his important stuff are online in his OMPF, Official Military Personnel Files.  All of the branches except maybe the Coast Guard, are part of that system.  Anything he had, from enlistment contracts to awards records, will be there.  He can look it up too.  

In other words, he's full of crap.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
His paper records that HE might have had may have been destroyed, but all of his important stuff are online in his OMPF, Official Military Personnel Files.  All of the branches except maybe the Coast Guard, are part of that system.  Anything he had, from enlistment contracts to awards records, will be there.  He can look it up too.  

This is it, someone at arfcom has a contact at OMPF. Imagine hit squads reaction when Rogue's mil credentials were verified and did indeed have mil credentials as a potato boiler.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Freedom of Information Act. Click the link for what info is needed to file. Professional Soldiers might be able to help out. They LOVE rooting out liars.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#21]
In for AAR.......I know it's not GD......but there are rules........
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#22]
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/03/army-crump-sentenced-to-six-months-030911/
I served with this liar.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#23]
my wife worked for a fake from Dallas. one of his cronies said he had the medal of honor. I asked him about it and asked why I couldnt find him in the book that lists those who recxieved it. his step daughter wrote a letter to the local paper about how proud she was of him and his service. it was later retracted. I will go to the end of the earth to expose these bastards. he was exposed thanks to help from popasmoke.com. looks like I got the proof I need to send this shit on his way.  thank you all for your input.  Steel
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#24]
If a man will lie about his service what else will he lie about.

No good scumbag.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#25]
DD214 or throat punch?  
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I had fun a few years ago busting all the so called Marine Scout Snipers that I ran across at the bars. After a couple of questions, they would start fidgeting and want to change the subject. As far as records being destroyed or classified, the military does NOT do that. They might redact or pull certain items, but never classify someone's entire personnel record as top secret. Anyone that was really was/is assigned to Special Operations Command (no matter what branch) will not go bragging about it.
I served 7 years in the Army and there are a few things that I can't talk about for 50 years from my ETS but no part of my records are sealed.

I have ran across a lot of Marine posers who claim to be Iraq-Afghanistan war veterans. Ask the following questions:

What is Tunn Tavern?
What is 10 November?

Any person who served in the Marine Corps can answer these questions without having to take the time to think about it.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The online OMPFs are relatively new, with the Marine Corps only starting it a few years ago.  And in the Marines once someone leaves AD, reserves or the IRR they also archive them and no longer available.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#28]
I had an employee who at one time or another had claimed to be in:

The Army
The Air Force
The Marines

One of the best (Bullshit) claims he made was "working on the nuclear warheads on Saturn V's"
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#29]
In Special Forces?  Does that mean he spent most of his time under the "special" covers being forced to do secret things?  

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The online OMPFs are relatively new, with the Marine Corps only starting it a few years ago.  And in the Marines once someone leaves AD, reserves or the IRR they also archive them and no longer available.

There are "other" digital records that arent archived....
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are "other" digital records that arent archived....

The Marine Corps system, MC Total Forces System, aka 3270, really does not have much functionality and up until a few years ago almost all records were hard copy
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The Army
The Air Force
The Marines

One of the best (Bullshit) claims he made was "working on the nuclear warheads on Saturn V's"

It is possible. My father was in this order:

US Marine Corps
US Air Force
US Army Reserves
Alaska National Guard
South Carolina Air National Guard

The old man still is one of the best bullsh!tters and scroungers in the world. He most likely sold or traded those Sat 5s to your employee...

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Slit his bag and run a leg thru the hole!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
 and that his records were destroyed.

Bullshit. Its all in the computer now adays. You can't destroy your record. LOL. Let her know she is dating a liar and a poser and see if that is who she still wants to be with.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Army
The Air Force
The Marines

It is possible. My father was in this order:

US Marine Corps
US Air Force
US Army Reserves
Alaska National Guard
South Carolina Air National Guard

The old man still is one of the best bullsh!tters and scroungers in the world. He most likely sold or traded those Sat 5s to your employee...

I know that is possible, BUT...."working on the nuclear warheads on Saturn V's". For you "Yung uns", the Saturn V was a NASA bird used for launching the Apollo Moon Missions.

"The Saturn V (pronounced "Saturn Five") was an American human-rated expendable rocket used by NASA's Apollo and Skylab programs from 1967 until 1973. A multistage liquid-fueled launch vehicle, NASA launched 13 Saturn Vs from the Kennedy Space Center, Florida with no loss of crew or payload. It remains the tallest, heaviest, and most powerful rocket ever brought to operational status and still holds the record for the heaviest launch vehicle payload."
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I work for the National Archives here in town where all Military OPMFs from 1905 forward are housed.  Electronic records started in the mid 90's.  the only incidents of records being destroyed was in the 1973 fire when we were located at 9700 Page ave.  The records affected were Army WWII and Korea (for the most part) and Air Force  with last names A-Hubbard.  Marine Corps records were not affected.  If he was discharged any time after 1964, his record (if it exists) would be there unless it was lost or misfiled which unfortunately has happened but not destroyed. Highly suspicious...
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 12:50:56 AM EDT
[#37]
I have been thinking about this question for a while. Find four or five former (formerly on active duty) Marines and have them question this guy about his Marine Corps past. One Marine of any era can tell another Marine also from any era. If this guy does not pass muster, they should kick his @ss.

And to PursuitSS, that explained why there were some NASA guys riding around in a military CO jeep while my dad's CO is looking for his jeep.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top