Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2012 10:03:24 AM EDT
I live in Strafford...and I'm trying to find some good places to get out and ride my ATV at.  I know there is Chadwick down near Ozark, and Flat Nasty's by Salem, St. Joe State Park by St.Louis.....but any others I'm forgetting that are fun to ride?

Link Posted: 11/7/2012 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a place north of Columbia.....30 minutes or so on Hwy 63.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There's a place north of Columbia.....30 minutes or so on Hwy 63.

Finger Lakes.

I've never ridden the trails, but I hear they're decent.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Stay out of the National Forest for a while.  The orange coats are in the woods.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#4]
WashitaMX ....about 15 miles south of St Joe park.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I live in Strafford...and I'm trying to find some good places to get out and ride my ATV at.  I know there is Chadwick down near Ozark, and Flat Nasty's by Salem, St. Joe State Park by St.Louis.....but any others I'm forgetting that are fun to ride?

What kind of riding do you want to do??? Like, Mud Boggin, Technical trails, longer more relaxed trail rides, racing, etc... etc...    

Where area are ya in?

I've been to St. Joe St. Park (down in/by Park Hills Mo) many times...  Some Mud and small creeks/ponds, sand flats, hilly and rocky technical trails through the woods...

Washita sounds like St. Joe, but a  lot more aggressive and technical, I've heard the same about Finger lakes...

Further down south no real far of HWY 67 and Hwy 34 (Peidmont/Greenville Mo area) there is a place with a few 2000+ acres called Leerjak ATV ranch that looks to have some pretty cool trails that can accommodate the igger ATVs and Side by sides...

Then there was a place out past or in Troy Mo, called "Lets go Nutz", never been there either...

I'm looking to do some longer more relaxed trail rides, Not pokin slow, my Griz will move, just don't want to be jumping, climbing crazy rocks and breakin shit...

I've been wanting to try that leerjak place for almost 3 years now, but they are only open on select weekends and I always seem to be oncall or no one can go onhe weekends they are open.

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 3:57:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys. I ride a YFZ450 sport quad....just easy trail riding, no MX stuff.  I've been to Chadwick a bunch, but it's really rough on the quad. It's fun if you stay on the easy trails...but some of the hard trails are nothing big 2 foot rock ledges and other things you have to jump over...lots of opportunities to roll the quad over, and tear it up.  I used to like riding stuff like that....but I'm getting tired of replacing bent and broken parts. Not fun...

St. Joe is fun...nice mix of sand and trails.  I like the faster dirt trails...not the trails full of big huge rocks.  Flat Nastys is fun if you guys haven't been there before.  Mainly set up for big rock-crawler trucks...but there are some nice trails for quads there also.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks for the info guys. I ride a YFZ450 sport quad....just easy trail riding, no MX stuff.  I've been to Chadwick a bunch, but it's really rough on the quad. It's fun if you stay on the easy trails...but some of the hard trails are nothing big 2 foot rock ledges and other things you have to jump over...lots of opportunities to roll the quad over, and tear it up.  I used to like riding stuff like that....but I'm getting tired of replacing bent and broken parts. Not fun...

St. Joe is fun...nice mix of sand and trails.  I like the faster dirt trails...not the trails full of big huge rocks.  Flat Nastys is fun if you guys haven't been there before.  Mainly set up for big rock-crawler trucks...but there are some nice trails for quads there also.

You sound like me.... Just a faster Quad...  Even though mine is a 700, I think the 450 would walk away from my grizzly without a problem...

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 4:50:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Is that Corps land over by Deepwater still open to quads?  They kicked out the amphibs a few years ago, so I have not been there recently.

Great mud pits.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#9]
How about SMORR at Seymour? I think they allow quads there...
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I will have to check into that. I thought I heard quads were not allowed...but I'll check.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I like Finger Lakes over by Columbia.    And if you really want to have fun buy a set of paddles and go to Little Sahara sand dunes in Waynoka OK. The dunes are by far the most fun i have ever had on a quad.  To bad its a 6 hr drive from KC so I only make it once a year.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will have to check into that. I thought I heard quads were not allowed...but I'll check.

They do , helmet required , don't see very many there , some SxS though
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Theres a place in Fulton called Potowatami.  It's mostly for atv's dirt bikes, etc etc, but I've taken my Lifted Grand cherokee there before
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Potawatomi

Last time I was there was in 04-05 time frame. Has multiple trails/tracks. The tracks ranged from basic to advanced. The trails are vast and covered multiple types of terrain. When I rode there, I used a 350 raptor and a Z71.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Im a member here:

www.cloud9ranch.com
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I hear ya both.   I like to ride but tearing things up hurts.  After my last time at st joe (it's been the only time I went there), the mine tailings tore my shock seals up.  I wasn't expecting that but after a $400 rebuild on them I won't be going back without shock covers.  

Flat nasty seemed more geared to rock crawlers.  We went there when they first out in the atv trails and they were treacherous.  Thank god for skid plates.  

No more stupid hills an flat out runs either.   I've replaced the entire frame, the a arms, steering stem, subframe and snapped the stock shocks.  Of course I've upgraded upon replacement, I don't feel much like replacing things anymore.  I did however tear the motor apart and made a monster out of it when I replaced the frame.  
04 raptor 660

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I hear ya both.   I like to ride but tearing things up hurts.  After my last time at st joe (it's been the only time I went there), the mine tailings tore my shock seals up.  I wasn't expecting that but after a $400 rebuild on them I won't be going back without shock covers.  

Flat nasty seemed more geared to rock crawlers.  We went there when they first out in the atv trails and they were treacherous.  Thank god for skid plates.  

No more stupid hills an flat out runs either.   I've replaced the entire frame, the a arms, steering stem, subframe and snapped the stock shocks.  Of course I've upgraded upon replacement, I don't feel much like replacing things anymore.  I did however tear the motor apart and made a monster out of it when I replaced the frame.  

04 raptor 660

I'm fully with ya on being done with tearing things up (both on the Bike and Me)...  

What the heck were you doing that the tailings tore your shock seals up?

I've taken my Grizzly down there several times and the Warrior that I had before that 100s of times...  

Other than hitting trees, large boulders, or Flipping/rolling the dang thing, I've had no issues...
I just want to find some long ass leisurely trails though the woods and over some hills and valleys that I can cruise along a nice pace taking in the sights and maybe open her up a bit on a few stretches...  Thing moves pretty quick for those big aggressive tires, I've had it out on hwy 2, headed towards Ironton from Bismarck a few times....

Some of the big trail systems in Tenn an Ky look kinda nice, but getting the time and a few folks together to do it borders on impossible...

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#18]
It was just really abrasive.  I noticed when my compression and rebound adjusters weren't clicking after that excursion.  Noticed one shaft was actually wetter than the other.  After sending them back to ohlins for a rebuild they are back to normal.

I think they may have been leaking a bit in the first place and the grime just sped the process.

I bought them when I was "forced" to replace one of the stock ones that snapped and ripped the a arm off the frame. Originally went cheap with fox shocks and wasn't happy.  The +3 arms exaggerated every bump.  Sold them and got the ohlins and the differance was wow.  I could hit the rough stuff hard and fast and there was no more kick back or bottoming out.  

That replacement incident was from me going too fast on a dirt road and I found the bike floating instead of rolling down the road and it wouldn't turn.  Brakes gas leaning, nothing worked and I rode it out until front right arm hit a tree and I went flying.  Bike was fairly new and I didn't want to bail.  Pissed blood for a few weeks after that.  

While motor was out the head was sent to trinity and the motor was opened up +2 bore +4 stroke.  Went ahead and got a +4 lone star axle and put it all back together again.  It's wider and has way more tourqe.  It's what the raptor should have been.  Not necessarily much faster.

About 5 years ago the beast gave me a broken tailbone and l spine compression fractures... This idiot was showing off and popped a wheelie... It responded violently and jumped out from under me.  Looked like a cartoon and I fell flat on my butt.  I grew up since then.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top