Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2012 10:31:50 AM EDT
Not sure what it called, guessing it treats the liver condition she recently developed...  

My sister who lives with her just txted me...

I dunno what they are going to do...

Thats messed up, thats more than my house car and ATV togther...

There is no way they can afford that...
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Depending on the drug, many drug companies have programs to help out people who can not afford it.   They have programs called Patient Assistance Programs.  If you find out the name of the drug, the company will have a web site with info.  

Link Posted: 7/17/2012 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Find out the name, and check Canadian pharmacies....

That's all I've got..

Eta:  Even if they don't cover it, maybe they can/will negotiate a lower price on your parents behalf?  Like a ppo would do...
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats bullshit.....I am a free market anti obamacare guy but something has got to change with health care prices. I have no idea what the solution is but I am sure what these jackasses in Washington come up with wont be it.

Check with overseas sources when you find the name......it sounds scary but I know people that save a TON of money buying from India
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
discuss the issue with the hospital. they have people that can help. I have a drug that costs 1000.00 each month. the hospital contacted them and they supply it to me free. there is no way I could afford it otherwise.wich hospital was she in?
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#5]
sorry man .. prayers inbound

praying that your mom will find the help from The Lord to help her obtain the medicine she needs and the cost will be affordable!
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I was wrong about that medicine, it wasn't 1000, its 1600 a month...

My sister has calls in to the Insurance company and someone at the hospital that may be able to help.  She is calling the company that makes the drug as soon as she gets the contact info from the hospital folks...
I'm not holding my breath, but I am hopeful...

Link Posted: 7/17/2012 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Express scripts here in the STL area also has a patient assistance program where you can get meds much cheaper, if nothing else pans out let me know and ill talk to a guy i know that used to work there and get  details.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Prayers for you and your familly.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Depending on the drug, many drug companies have programs to help out people who can not afford it.   They have programs called Patient Assistance Programs.  If you find out the name of the drug, the company will have a web site with info.  

This.  Go directly to the drug company first.  If it is an Eli Lilly drug IM me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#10]
How old is your Mom and what kind of insurance does she have?
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#11]
boy that sucks

I hope it works out for her and she can get the Meds she needs

Link Posted: 7/17/2012 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I say go to the Canadian pharmacies. When my wife fell into the "donut hole" last year, that is what we did. The drugs are manufactured here, shipped to foreign lands, and then shipped to you at heavy discount. If you're interested, PM me, and I'll get you the web sites she uses. What's nice, if customs confiscates your drugs, they're guaranteed to ship another shipment, free of charge. That happened to her, at least once.

Brian
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Also check with county health services.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#14]
You can only do the Express Scripts program if you currently have coverage through Express Scripts.  Same for any other insurance company.

Is her insurance through her employer or is she on some government program like Medicaid?  As long as she doesn't have some fly by night insurance that she bought on her own, there's probably a good reason this drug is not covered.  Usually it's because there are cheaper versions of it available that do the exact same thing.  Problem is Doctor's don't know this and only prescribe what the drug reps "sell" I mean tell them about.  Tell her to talk to her doctor about clinical alternatives, her insurance company can also provide this info.  If all else fails and this coverage is through her employer, she needs to contact her HR rep and request an exception due to financial hardship.  Most companies will allow the drug to go through as long as the case is presented to them in the right way.  Now if the drug is $1600 because your mom chose a high deductible health plan setup vs. a higher cost standard plan, well you're SOL as that's the down side to choosing those.  I've been in this industry a very long time, if you need help with questions and what do to let me know.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 12:56:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow....Sorry to hear about this.  I certainly hope your mothers' health improves.  
Something has got to be done about these drug manufacturing companies........They have stopped the business of helping people who need it and are now taking advantage of people who are in need.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 4:54:29 AM EDT
[#16]
You wouldn't believe how much money it takes to bring a drug to market.  There are three clinical phases a drug must go through and on some drugs it can take a decade or longer before the FDA approves it.  If it is a specialty drug that will not sell as much as something that treats a common problem, it is going to cost more.  The company is in business to make money.  The company has exclusive use of their drug until the patent is up.  Once that happens it can be manufactured in generic form and the cost will be significantly reduced.  The original maker of the drug has to make it's money back and profit in that time period.  

There is even more to factor in than just that one drugs costs.  Most drugs that start clinical trials never make it to market, the cost must be absorbed by the products that do, that's just the way business works regardless of the product, any business.

Our healthcare system is broken no doubt, drug companies are just one part of it.  Allowing anybody into an emergency room to access healthcare for any reason they want regardless of their ability to pay or if they are even a citizen in the US drives everything up exponentially.  And now that we are paying for everyone's healthcare expect everything to continue to go up, not down as the new law was sold to us. This includes drugs.  Now you are paying for yours and theirs.  

You can't force a company to invest 1 billion dollars in a product over ten years (yes, 1 billion) and then sell it for a loss because people can't afford it.  If that was the case there would be no new drugs for anybody.  All the drug companies have some type of program for those that cannot afford drugs, whether this drug is available needs to be determined. But the drug companies do their fair share of charity work.  They flat give away a large amount of their product here and abroad.

This is getting way off the subject though.  Smullen, there may very well be a program for those who's insurance doesn't cover this drug and cannot afford it.  I would contact the pharmaceutical company directly first.  If not there may be other drugs to treat the problem that your mothers insurance does cover, or the cost is less or does have an assistance program.  Good luck brother....

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:15:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Smullen, I'll see what I can find out through my contacts.  County does have some programs that may help.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#18]

***Update***

Some good news...

My sister went up to the Hospital and her and the Docs called the my mothers Insurance company and I do not know what the doc said, other than, this is the only option, there are no generics, this is needed for her to stay alive and they aggred to cover it...

The 1st 90 days they will fill at Wal-greens pharmacy then they will need to do it mail order and it will cost them 60.00 a month...  Even that adds up, but its a whole lot easier to swallow than 1600 a month...

So, hopefully she will continue to improve and this will take care of it...

Big, Big Thanks everyone for the thougths, advice and potential resources on this help my mother.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Glad you got some good news, finally.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Good deal.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Good deal.

Very cool.  I'm sure it takes a load off everyone's mind.  Good luck and I hope everything goes as easy as it possibly can for you and your family.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#23]
thats great to hear!  
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good deal.

Very cool.  I'm sure it takes a load off everyone's mind.  Good luck and I hope everything goes as easy as it possibly can for you and your family.

+1
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Outstanding, glad to hear her meds will be covered.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#26]
It's great that her meds will be covered, but I'll keep praying for her.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I spent the last 10 years running a small chain of pharmacies and am in the process of buying my own.  If you need help or have any questions in the future PM me.

Thanks,

Grove
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I spent the last 10 years running a small chain of pharmacies and am in the process of buying my own.  If you need help or have any questions in the future PM me.

Thanks,

Grove

Thank you brother, I'll keep you in mind...  Good luck with the endeavor too!!!  I know starting and running a business is not cheap or easy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top