Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 1:40:29 PM EDT
I was sitting in a boring meeting today, and was wondering which gun would be a better trunk gun.  So I put a poll in GD for more viewership and the surety of a trainwreck in the discussion.  Thread is here.  Feel free to comment in this thread if you have something serious to say that would be wasted in GD.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I voted for the 12 guage but I've thought about this myself and am sliding more to keeping a AR in a descreet carry case.  I like the one LaRue has but there are many options out there such as a tennis racket case or guitar case.  Anything discreet would do the trick.  It should keep pretty well in there.

I wouldn't be keeping a 3000 dollar AR but maybe a spikes tactical or BCM plane jane rifle would be nice to have on hand in a emergency.  Even a AR Pistol would be nice to have if not for a full rifle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Pistol carbine , preferably in your carry caliber and even better if they share magazines.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Pistol carbine would be my choice ... I don't often carry it in my trunk, but have a sweet little AK74 pistol just for the job.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#4]
.357 lever action carbine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Due to paranoid opsec I won't go into details as to where in my car or how they are secured but I keep an AR and a Mossberg 500 in the car.
I think I picked up the Mossberg for ~200 and the AR is a KISS a2 with a 16" barrel.

The 12g is loaded with 00 buck and I have a few slugs available, but not many because if I want to reach out and touch something the AR is the better choice.

Is this the best load out for everyone? No. My daily travels could take me anywhere from downtown KC/St. J to the middle of a bean field inside a couple of hours, and I find that those two plus my CCW give me the greatest flexibility that I will hopefully never have to deploy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
How about a Hi-Point carbine in 9mm or .40 S&W. Cheap gun that works and has common ammunition.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Mid range AR. Possibly with a melonited/nitrided or SST barrel and coated BCG.

Missouri humidity can play hell on a trunk gun.

ETA - Im a moron. Read bout a Larue in this thread without going to main topic.

12 gauge is far more intimidating than a 22 and will function when shit nasty dirty as long as it isnt rusted closed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The question is which is better until I can save up for what I want (KT sub2k or SU16, maybe another AK or a used AR).  I don't have the option of buying one right now.  Most responses are "get an AR"or "get an AK" which doesn't help me.

What I've got is an AK that stays in the house, and a 12 gauge and 10/22 to choose from until I get an AR, AK, or PCC.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The question is which is better until I can save up for what I want (KT sub2k or SU16, maybe another AK or a used AR).  I don't have the option of buying one right now.  Most responses are "get an AR"or "get an AK" which doesn't help me.

What I've got is an AK that stays in the house, and a 12 gauge and 10/22 to choose from until I get an AR, AK, or PCC.

12gauge then. The effective range of the .22 really isn't any better and the 12g has far more stopping power and versatility.

Load up some 00, keep some rifled slugs on hand and practice with it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#10]
The 12g with buckshot is one hell of a defensive weapon in your home, it is the king of the stairs, hallway, and doorway.  The second you walk out your front door with it you are at a disadvantage to almost any rifle including a .22.  Speaking of the .22, it has no place in your trunk for a life or death situations.  There is no way I could bring myself to trust .22 rimfire ammo with my life.

Any reliable, centerfire, semi-auto rifle with detachable mags would be better than a shotgun or a .22.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

may be another option for you would be to look at an SKS they are not that expensive or even perhaps a Mosin-Nagant those are very inexpensive and the ammo as well.

Just an option if you can not swing the AR or AK at this time.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:21:10 AM EDT
[#12]
In my mind, a trunk gun is for dealing with unexpected SHTF situations. I'd choose a mid level ($450-$500 range) AK with a romy folder on it and about six to eight loaded mags in surplus pouches. The AK will tolerate the extreme MO temps and still go bang every time, and is a handy (with a folder) fight stopper that doesn't cost a fortune. Don't screw it up by adding rails, fancy optics, or other tacticool crap. Simple is better!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:46:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Personally a trunk/truck gun should be able to handle any unknown situation. And be able to effectively get you home or a secondary BOL.

I think this means versatility. Chances are you will be able to sneak around and non-contact is the goal so 300+ yard shots are not likely. I think a low pwr optic that allows quick COM and quick follow ups is key. I also think the few shots the better to keep from alerting more than necessary.

My FAL is my everything gun. Home, truck and everything inbetween. If it is running smoothly I can run it as fast as any similarly trained/practices operator of an AR.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:25:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

may be another option for you would be to look at an SKS they are not that expensive or even perhaps a Mosin-Nagant those are very inexpensive and the ammo as well.

Just an option if you can not swing the AR or AK at this time.

I hate the Mosin.  It hurts like a 12 gauge and patterns like one too.

It's been ~3 years since I've seen an SKS any cheaper than an AK.

The problem with an AK is what ammo do I use?  It's not like there's cheap surplus military ammo with reasonable terminal ballistics.  You pretty much have to buy Cor-Bon DPX or hunting softpoints, both at $1/round or more, and 100 rounds to check reliability and another 200 or so to fill mags.  My stash for my go-to AK is low enough I basically haven't touched it except to verify zero once in a while.  I understand that's part of the price of owning a rifle, but that's part of what I'm saving up for.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:42:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was sitting in a boring meeting today, and was wondering which gun would be a better trunk gun.  So I put a poll in GD

I had to stop reading right there.

I get in trouble anytime I even READ GD, so I'm out.

You sir, are braver than I .
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was sitting in a boring meeting today, and was wondering which gun would be a better trunk gun.  So I put a poll in GD

I had to stop reading right there.

I get in trouble anytime I even READ GD, so I'm out.

You sir, are braver than I .

Nah, it's just a bunch of people telling me to buy an AR or an AK.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:36:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like you have two to choose from. If you need precision go with the 10/22. I can not imagine a defense situation where you would be taking longer than 100 yard shots in town. If you think there will be good folks in close proximity to bad folks then the 10/22 is your choice. At least the Israelis think so. I have found mine to be extremely reliable with T/I 25 rounders. It will take a bit more maintenace to keep it running. I suggest Eezox . Bad guy on top of you with no innocents around. 12 gauge hands down. Don't have any idea what you might get into? Flip a coin. Both beat a sharp stick.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:46:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I keep a $100 beater SKS in the truck secured under the back seat. That and 200 rounds of ammo in stripper clips. If the truck is stolen they will have a heck of a time getting it out. If it is lost not much money gone. The SKS has been proven a dependable gun in the past and should fill the need if needed. I actually pulled it out at the range last week after a year to check it. Functioned perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Given my experiences the only fella that would get use of my trunk gun would be a theif.

For nightstand weapon its hard to beat a 12 gage outfitted with a good light and accessable switch at finger tip.

If I were to have a "trunk weapon". I'd want something that conceals like a pistol. Assuming shit hadn't hit a fan.

Glock with 30+ plus round magazines would be choice. Some Dick head breaks into car and steals mags. O'well. Some piece of shit steals an AR out of my vehicle and I've got a variety of issues. All which center around personal responsibility.

Off topic a bit. Recently installed Knoxx stock with internal recoil springs. Cut recoil by half, keeping sights on target. I'd been kicking every conceivable stock option around for two years. For around a hundred its the best upgrade I could have done.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Given my experiences the only fella that would get use of my trunk gun would be a theif.

For nightstand weapon its hard to beat a 12 gage outfitted with a good light and accessable switch at finger tip.

If I were to have a "trunk weapon". I'd want something that conceals like a pistol. Assuming shit hadn't hit a fan.

Glock with 30+ plus round magazines would be choice. Some Dick head breaks into car and steals mags. O'well. Some piece of shit steals an AR out of my vehicle and I've got a variety of issues. All which center around personal responsibility.

Off topic a bit. Recently installed Knoxx stock with internal recoil springs. Cut recoil by half, keeping sights on target. I'd been kicking every conceivable stock option around for two years. For around a hundred its the best upgrade I could have done.

Current nightstand gun is the AK.  White light, always-on red dot, loaded with JHP that fragments violently, with chunks penetrating 24" of water.  Fragments thru denim too.

I have a pistol.  The trunk gun is in case I need more reach and/or combat capability.  I'd take a .22 rifle over a pistol any day for any range beyond 7 yards.  More accuracy, better hit probability.  I'll take a 36 grain JHP expanding to .30" and penetrating 12 inches over a miss or peripheral hit.  I'll take a lot of those hits, made quick.  The question is, is that better than a shotgun I'm not very good with, and can't practice with much due to recoil.

I do keep all weapons in my car secured with at least a cable lock.  Unless they spend 5 minutes with a battery dremel, they're not getting my guns.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I keep a $100 beater SKS in the truck secured under the back seat. That and 200 rounds of ammo in stripper clips. If the truck is stolen they will have a heck of a time getting it out. If it is lost not much money gone. The SKS has been proven a dependable gun in the past and should fill the need if needed. I actually pulled it out at the range last week after a year to check it. Functioned perfectly.

No such thing.  For the price of an SKS on the used market or pawn shop, I can get a new AK.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Current nightstand gun is the AK.  White light, always-on red dot, loaded with JHP that fragments violently, with chunks penetrating 24" of water.  Fragments thru denim too.

I have a pistol.  The trunk gun is in case I need more reach and/or combat capability.  I'd take a .22 rifle over a pistol any day for any range beyond 7 yards.  More accuracy, better hit probability.  I'll take a 36 grain JHP expanding to .30" and penetrating 12 inches over a miss or peripheral hit.  I'll take a lot of those hits, made quick.  The question is, is that better than a shotgun I'm not very good with, and can't practice with much due to recoil.

I do keep all weapons in my car secured with at least a cable lock.  Unless they spend 5 minutes with a battery dremel, they're not getting my guns.

I have a pretty nice 10/22 with .92 stainless barrel and leupy vx1 3-9 glass that should be shot more than 100 cartridges a year. Wonder how reliable Ruger's new hi- capacity magazine is ?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#24]
"The question is, is that better than a shotgun I'm not very good with, and can't practice with much due to recoil"
If that is the question then the answer seems obvious. I suspect you are very good with the .22 and don't like the shotgun much. A hit with a .22 is far better than a miss with a cannon. 10/22 it is. But then I have a little more respect for the .22 than some.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Been thinking lately I "need" a new mini-14 to use as a truck gun.
What's not to love? Short, handy, AK or worse accuracy out of a 223, $700...

Hmm maybe not.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top