Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2011 12:47:56 PM EDT
Seems this is a stupidly hard tool to find laying around. Any car guys have one laying around?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Seems this is a stupidly hard tool to find laying around. Any car guys have one laying around?

I may still have one. I'll check when I get home from work. Where are you located?

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Anybody have a regular torque wrench, a length of pipe and the ability to multiply?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anybody have a regular torque wrench, a length of pipe and the ability to multiply?

Have you priced a nicer torque wrench lately? That could be an expensive mistake.

I've got a torque wrench that goes up to 250 and access to one that goes up over 300, but I believe I'm in the wrong part of the state.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Pinion nut on a rear end?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
We used to have one where I worked. It was used for torquing semi-tractor rear spring U-bolts. I think it went over 500 FtLbs. I will be happy if I never see one of those again.
Other than that sorry, I no longer have access to one.
Just let your air tank build up about 150psi, turn your impact all the way up to "Shear the m-fer off" and let it hammer for about a minute. Should be plenty tight.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in Cuba but will travel to accommodate. The bolt needing torqued to 304 is the crankshaft bolt.

I'm not a torque wrench designer but if you get a wrench that clicks(slips) at a certain amount of torque then the cheater bar will just speed up the time to get the limited torque. If you're just looking at a dial type torque then sure it'll work.

No mechanics in my area have one. Harbor freight has one for $80 and I can find a 20% off coupon. Snap on has one for $700.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm in Cuba but will travel to accommodate. The bolt needing torqued to 304 is the crankshaft bolt.

I'm not a torque wrench designer but if you get a wrench that clicks(slips) at a certain amount of torque then the cheater bar will just speed up the time to get the limited torque. If you're just looking at a dial type torque then sure it'll work.

No mechanics in my area have one. Harbor freight has one for $80 and I can find a 20% off coupon. Snap on has one for $700.

I think you're right on this point. I was actually kind of joking about just using a cheater bar, though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Might check around to see if there's a torque spec for xxx lbs plus % turn.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Nope just a clean 304 ftlbs. Mechanic in the area lookednit up to prove to me I was wrong on the torque being 304, and proved me right.

I guess I could do the whole standing on the bar with my weight.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 5:04:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:36:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Harbor freight has one for $80 and I can find a 20% off coupon. Snap on has one for $700.

Buy it, gently use it once and return it saying "I don't need this".

Or, see if a local parts store rents tools.

They do but they like most normal place stop at 250ftlbs.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Did you check with O'reilly? Get a guy that is good and they will order a tool for you to rent.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm in Stanton and have Fam (Pinnell, Mitchell) in Cuba, welcome to borrow mine, but it only goes to 250ft/lbs though.  The rear axle nut and crankshaft bolt on the aircooled VWs require 300ft/lbs.  That may point you to someone?  If not I always just use a breaker bar, distance, my weight, and a bathroom scale.  Figure your 304lbs divided by your weight and that equals the length of your lever.  Stand on the scale at that distance, lean on the lever, and when the scale reads zero you're good.  Or if you're a big guy just get it as tight as you can with a 3' pipe and it'll be tight enough.

- JP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top