Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2011 3:05:40 PM EDT
It's my understanding as MO residents we can buy a rifle from a gun shop in another state that adjoins our state, is that correct?

There's a dealer in IL that has a rifle I want and was wondering if I can drive over there this weekend and get it. I found them online so I haven't asked them about the process yet, thought I would ask here first so I can be a more informed buyer.

Anyone know if I'll have to wait because I think there is a waiting period in IL, I may be wrong. Can anyone enlighten me on the process for a MO resident buying in IL?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I was afraid of. Drive over, fill out paperwork, pay for it then have to come back and pick it up another day. Damn.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
You will have to wait 24 hrs before picking it up.  :(

That [illegal] continguous state law is dead as of Aug 28th.  As a MO resident, you can buy a long gun in any state that will sell you one.   IL's law still restricts long gun AND ammo sales to contiguous state residents or or non-contiguous state residents with a valid IL hunting permit.  There are other states that do that same, so that's why I say, "you're good to buy in any state that will sell you one."  Those laws are illegal anyway.....since mid/late 80s.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
You might be able to able to get around making two trips by paying for it over the phone with a credit card and having the bill of sale dated when you paid for it. Then go pick it up a couple days later and fill out the 4473.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You might be able to able to get around making two trips by paying for it over the phone with a credit card and having the bill of sale dated when you paid for it. Then go pick it up a couple days later and fill out the 4473.

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought about trying. I may call them tomorrow and see what they say. I sent the an email earlier tonight so will see if i get a response.

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Can't do that......waiting period starts AFTER you fill out the 4473 and get approved.  And you have to fill it out and sign the 4473 in person, in front of the transferring FFL.  Doesn't matter when, where, how, or if money changes hands or what the bill of sale says.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't do that......waiting period starts AFTER you fill out the 4473 and get approved.  And you have to fill it out and sign the 4473 in person, in front of the transferring FFL.  Doesn't matter when, where, how, or if money changes hands or what the bill of sale says.

Sorry.

They sent me an email this morning saying basically the same thing. Damn.

Of all the other 49 states, I have to live the closest to IL
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#8]
this is why everybody needs a good transfer FFL
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Tommy, I would just transfer it to MO.  Trust me bying over there is a PITA.

Paul
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#10]
why not check to see if your local dealer can order the one yoou want? Heck with Ill.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
why not check to see if your local dealer can order the one yoou want? Heck with Ill.

That's all well & fine if it's a new gun he's looking for.  Kind of hard to have your local dealer just order you up a new production pre-64 Model 70 Winchester/WWII Model 12 trenchgun/p&r S&W M28 Highway Patrolman .357/pre GCA68 imported .22 or.25 popgun/Colt SP-1 AR15/real deal GI M1 Garand or carbine/etc.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top