Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2010 12:57:57 PM EDT
My father asked me to look into selling his old stereo.  He bought it all when he was stationed in Japan in the 60's.  Anyone have any idea of a good price to ask.  He wants it gone.  I had the receiver hooked up to the speakers about 6-7 years ago and it worked/sounded great.  Any help would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
BOY!!!!!!! That brings back some memories!!! That would match my 40 year old GE television. Yeah I'm an old fart:(

Rick
SGF, Mo.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:55:49 AM EDT
[#2]
maybe $10
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I guess it'll make a great target then.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd hold off on shooting it atleast for a bit...

Do some mroe research...  Maybe no one here is interested in it or knows much about it, but that doesn't mean no one else is....

EX: I just did a quick google for ""Pioneer SX-800"" and found a few interesting links, one was a forum where someone wanted to buy on and this was posted,

"Friends and fellow vintage buffs, I need a little bit of encouragement here. I found an SX-800 in really nice condition and I'm torn between 'I don't need it', but 'I really want it'. I have seen another trying to be sold for $350 and this one is about $110, including the shipping. I'm not REALLY into value stuff, but I have a feeling that I want to give this beauty a good home. The picture of the inside with all those gorgeous tubes, I can't explain it, but it moves me. I guess I'm just asking for a vote of confidence, this is good, isn't it?"  

That was over on http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=149703  No affiliation wih the poster or site, just found via the googlenet...  :)

Might seach Ebay and or Craigslist and a few other forums to see if there is any interest /value...  Never know...  

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Relative value (assuming equivalent condition)  Turntable>>Receiver>>>Tape deck.

Pretty good market for functional, old turntables. Search for turntable forums. Garrard is a well-known company.

Vintage receivers have a small market, too if they work perfectly. Repair work may be cost-prohibitive, like taking a hamster to the veterinarian.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Just kidding about the target practice.  The only thing I see being worth much is the receiver.  Probably not more than 40-50 bucks.  Just wanted to know if there were any audiophiles out there.  Thanks for the input.  I'll put it all on ebay no reserve with pickup only.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Those old Pioneer receivers have a cult following. Audiokarma.org is your best bet for information. I know it's a pain to ship but if you're willing to I bet you'll be surprised how much it will go for on Ebay.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Relative value (assuming equivalent condition) Turntable>>Receiver>>>Tape deck.

Pretty good market for functional, old turntables. Search for turntable forums. Garrard is a well-known company.

Vintage receivers have a small market, too if they work perfectly. Repair work may be cost-prohibitive, like taking a hamster to the veterinarian.

LOL, sad part is you know some Mom or Dad was forced too, by a concerned and loving little one....

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#9]
That sony reel to reel is worth some money, took one in a few years back to have it cleaned up, the shop owner offered $750 for it, I declined as it was handed down to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top