Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2010 10:42:18 AM EDT
Hey guys, I'm sure there are some dog owners here, so I have some questions.

Background
I'm buying a house in Waldo (KCMO), pretty good sized house, mostly hardwood floors. Not a large yard, nor is it fenced.

I grew up with a doberman, which I loved, but I really haven't had a dog since I was 14. My college roommate had a lamb mix that I lived with for 3 years, also a great dog.

So, I'm thinking about getting a medium to large dog. Little yapping dogs drive me up the wall. I prefer short/slick haired dogs that don't bark a lot. Beyond that, I don't know enough to make a good choice.

What do you recommend?
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Spend the money on booze or guns.

My wife has a great dane....ugh
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Boxer, there is no other option.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Beagle!
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
i am partial to german shepherds
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

+1
No other way to go. Have Shepards and they are everything you could ask for. Get them properly trained or do it yourself and you wont believe how cool they are. Mine is trained for hand signals and vocal.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
My college roommate had a lamb mix that I lived with for 3 years, also a great dog.

Wow, that must have been one helluva party down at the pet store!

"Woof!  How drunk was I last night?  Woof!"

Whoops. Nice catch.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#8]
If I was going to get a bigger dog, it'd probably be a Boxer.  But, I have a small dog.  He's a papillon mix, and he doesn't 'yip'.  He does bark, but not yip, and not very often.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I have two boxers that are great dogs. They only bark if there is a reason to. Only thing I would worry about is how they would handle on hard wood floors. They like to run and play.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Australian Shepard's are the best..............when you decide, see if there are any rescue dog organizations around your area, they have them for nearly any breed, and give a home to a rescue dog.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
No other way to go. Have Shepards and they are everything you could ask for. Get them properly trained or do it yourself and you wont believe how cool they are. Mine is trained for hand signals and vocal.

+1000 FTW.  Hardwood floors not great for indoor dogs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#12]
We have a 5 yo boxer.  He's the smartest dog I ever owned.  He's definately a great family dog but he started getting pretty agressive around other dogs a couple years ago.  We just found out today he's got hip dysplasia.  You may want to be sure and check the bloodline if possible.

I'm sure it's not practical for most people due to regulations and other risks, but our pitbull is a perfect pet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We have a 5 yo boxer.  He's the smartest dog I ever owned.  He's definately a great family dog but he started getting pretty agressive around other dogs a couple years ago.  We just found out today he's got hip dysplasia.  You may want to be sure and check the bloodline if possible.

I'm sure it's not practical for most people due to regulations and other risks, but our pitbull is a perfect pet.

My boxer had that. I won't get another one, even though I loved that big, dumb dog like crazy .

I have had pits for 25 years. To me that's THE dog. I know ... it's a pit.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

How bad do shepherds shed? I think I'll have the opportunity to get a dog next year and I'd like a shepherd, but I've already got two cats and don't want to deal with a lot more hair. If I don't go with a shepherd, I'll probably get a Standard Poodle... Don't laugh...
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I have hard wood floors so i have to clean the floor twice a day minimum.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Boxers are the greatest, but are very prone to problems, Ive lost 2 of them and cant go throught it again, we adopted a Boston Terrier and he is a great little dog, I think I like these dogs as much as Boxers after having one, very smart and just the right size, good luck in your search, I would suggest adoption.

Aug
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife tends to foster all types of dogs since she's part ceaser Millan and part vet tech.  She gets dogs from 3-4 different places to work with and does not waiver if she thinks one is unmanagelble and needs put down.  She loves the old black dog lab types and always wants to foster them.  At this point she runs down to the pound (in parkville) and grabs a couple dogs to run with and train since our dogs can't keep up with her anymore.  All of the dogs she's trained and ran with now have homes.  She's always loved the dobermans and labs but is quickly liking the pits and realizing that dobies are can be a bit neuroutic.  The last dobie was the first dog she recommended being put down as it went for her throat several times. We've had a couple pit types that I've loved.  They were always calm and loving.  I have never had a problem with the pits or labs. Couple of shepards that tried to neuter me but eventually they came around to my way of thinking and were good dogs.  The beagles are always pretty good dogs.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 6:10:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Yellow or black labs are great choices. They're smart, loyal, easy to train, and eat yap yap dogs for snacks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got a black lab great dane mix with 5 months of  dog training... hand signals and vocal ..great 100+lbs dog....sucks on my hardwood floors though....watch out for the high energy dogs(alot alot alot of work) blue healers, aussy shepards, almost all of the working breeds especialy with a small yard....
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Hey guys, I'm sure there are some dog owners here, so I have some questions.

Background

I'm buying a house in Waldo (KCMO), pretty good sized house, mostly hardwood floors. Not a large yard, nor is it fenced.

I grew up with a doberman, which I loved, but I really haven't had a dog since I was 14. My college roommate had a lamb mix that I lived with for 3 years, also a great dog.

So, I'm thinking about getting a medium to large dog. Little yapping dogs drive me up the wall. I prefer short/slick haired dogs that don't bark a lot. Beyond that, I don't know enough to make a good choice.

What do you recommend?

Myself I like Labs, Goldens and German Shepards but I'd be concerned about them scratching the shit outta the hardwoods you mentioned.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a 100lb Golden and hardwood floors.  Never been a problem, esp with the older 3/4" oak floors.  I've never even noticed the the finish being scratched by the dog.  The kids, on the other hand....

If you go with a reputable breeder, pay VERY CLOSE attention to what they say.   We commented on a full-grown Golden they had from the same bloodline as the puppy we were getting.  She said "...yes he is handsome, but he's dumb as a post..."  Apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

Our dog is sweet and loveable as the day is long, but not too bright.  We've had him 10 years and all we do to keep him in the utility room is lean a baby gate against the doorway.  He could practically step over it, and he can (and has) knocked it over, but he won't cross it.  Actually, there are some advantages to the 'simple minded'.

Our previous dog was a mix from the Humane Society.  He was our first 'baby', and we spent a lot of time in dog training classes and practice at home.  Just like shooting...the more you practice the better it gets!  He was the smartest dog I've ever know.  There were MULTIPLE times I swore he understood every word I said...not just the training commands.  

Most of the mixed breeds I've ever met have been this way!

Go to the classes at a GOOD dog training school.  Petsmart is OK, but I think a dedicated dog school is a better way to go.  We used  "Tom Rose School", formerly "The Dog House Training School" in High Ridge, MO, just outside of STL off I-44 and Antire Rd.  They teach YOU the basics, and its up to you to work with the dog (in class and at home).  They are world famous for training German Shepherds, but welcome all breeds to their public Saturday classes.  Our mixed breed graduated 2nd in his class.  The Golden passed the class...we'll just leave it at that!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I have a 100lb Golden and hardwood floors. Never been a problem, esp with the older 3/4" oak floors. I've never even noticed the the finish being scratched by the dog. The kids, on the other hand....

If you go with a reputable breeder, pay VERY CLOSE attention to what they say. We commented on a full-grown Golden they had from the same bloodline as the puppy we were getting. She said "...yes he is handsome, but he's dumb as a post..." Apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

Our dog is sweet and loveable as the day is long, but not too bright. We've had him 10 years and all we do to keep him in the utility room is lean a baby gate against the doorway. He could practically step over it, and he can (and has) knocked it over, but he won't cross it. Actually, there are some advantages to the 'simple minded'.

Our previous dog was a mix from the Humane Society. He was our first 'baby', and we spent a lot of time in dog training classes and practice at home. Just like shooting...the more you practice the better it gets! He was the smartest dog I've ever know. There were MULTIPLE times I swore he understood every word I said...not just the training commands.

Most of the mixed breeds I've ever met have been this way!

Go to the classes at a GOOD dog training school. Petsmart is OK, but I think a dedicated dog school is a better way to go. We used "Tom Rose School", formerly "The Dog House Training School" in High Ridge, MO, just outside of STL off I-44 and Antire Rd. They teach YOU the basics, and its up to you to work with the dog (in class and at home). They are world famous for training German Shepherds, but welcome all breeds to their public Saturday classes. Our mixed breed graduated 2nd in his class. The Golden passed the class...we'll just leave it at that!!

I agree with you on the training and a good school...  Takes lots of work..  The school can only do so much, then you have to follow it up and re-inforce it at home...

My wife works at Kennelwood and she knows several of the trainers that work there.  She had them work with our Lab, Jazzy who seems pretty smart...  

She listens/minds very well and she has commands down well.  The wife even has the dog trained to respond to a few hand commands.  

I've actually met Tom Rose; went to a Haloween Party out at his place last year or the year before...  His garage is bigger than my house and most of my yard...

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Most any dog that has a thick under coat is going to shed badly. GSDs shed terribly, Labs shed a lot also but its is also hard to pickup because it is normally short and spiky hair that gets stuck in fabrics.

To avoid shedding look into poodles and schnauzers. Terriers seem to have less shedding in general all tho all dogs lose hair to some extent.

lite shedding breeds
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#24]
One other note about dogs and hardwood floors...
If the dog has long hair (like our Golden), you will get HUGE dust bunnies every few days, esp in corners,under the dining room furniture and less-traveled paths.

Be ready with a vacuum or Swiffer sweeper.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#25]
There are so many dogs that are unwanted, go to a shelter or pound and rescue one that needs a family.  I resuced a terrier mix puppy Novemember 2006 and couldn't be happier, smartest dog i ever had. Unbelievably faithful. Sleeps at my feet every night. Short haired Terriers don't smell bad and when they shed it's much shorter hairs, much easier to maintain than a longer haired dog.  The only thing he's afraid of is the vacuum cleaner, he owned the neighbors Black Lab for shitting in my front yard and my guy only goes about 36lbs.  Most of all he's been great with my kids, he's a big part of our family.

Shepards are smart, protective, and reliable, but other than eating and shitting lots more, large dogs unfortunately have a shorter life span.  Regardless of what you decide on as a breed I think you are making a great choice.  If you put alot of time in with them when they are puppies, you won't have to worry about them as adults.  My dog doesn't chew on anything other than his toys and hasn't piss or shit in the house since he was 6 months old.  

This is Mingo, he looks kind of like the RCA dog or a big Jack Russell. Here he is guarding my RPK.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a German Shepherd and she sheds like there's no tomorrow! Also wood floors are bad for their already sensitive joints from slipping etc and $1500 for ligament surgery.

An ex GF had an Aussie which was medium sized and pretty cool. They dont have the undercoat like my GS does. Build the fence they have lots of energy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If I was going to get a bigger dog, it'd probably be a Boxer.  But, I have a small dog.  He's a papillon mix, and he doesn't 'yip'.  He does bark, but not yip, and not very often.  
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs016.ash2/34148_414161482187_664202187_4396372_7643867_n.jpg

your dog looks like a dang gremlin!
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#28]
x558 on the dawgs scratching the hardwood floors.  Previous owners of my home allowed 2 great danes in the house.  Damn things scratched the floors to pieces.  

buy more guns or huntin stuff like the other guy said.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yellow or black labs are great choices. They're smart, loyal, easy to train, and eat yap yap dogs for snacks.

what's wrong with brown labs?  why not brown ones?  If I was to get a dog-that's the way I was looking.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs016.ash2/34148_414161482187_664202187_4396372_7643867_n.jpg

your dog looks like a dang gremlin!

His name is Bruce Wayne.  As in, Batman's alter ego.  He's a hoot.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm a huge pitbull fan. I have a 6 year old American Staffordshire Terrier. It's basically another name for a pit. They can be tuff to train as puppies, but he is an outstanding guard dog, great with anyone who I invite in the house, the short hair is nice (much easier to clean up after than most dogs). He's also very easy going. I've had kids crawling on him and pulling his ears, he just puts up with it. Also his looks alone scare most people away.

Also there are more rescue pits available than any other dog: http://mabbr.org/
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:17:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm a huge pitbull fan. I have a 6 year old American Staffordshire Terrier. It's basically another name for a pit. They can be tuff to train as puppies, but he is an outstanding guard dog, great with anyone who I invite in the house, the short hair is nice (much easier to clean up after than most dogs). He's also very easy going. I've had kids crawling on him and pulling his ears, he just puts up with it. Also his looks alone scare most people away.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b318/bruh44/DSC_0025.jpg

Also there are more rescue pits available than any other dog: http://mabbr.org/

I've rescued a few myself. Seems like they are forever greatful and loyal when ya do.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#33]
A pitbull would be a good option for a fenced yard or if you run.  They need a lot of exercise.  German shepherd would be good, but they don't have the short slick hair.  I would recommend going to a shelter and taking a look at the dogs there.  No need to go buy a purebred.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 5:56:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what's wrong with brown labs?  why not brown ones?  If I was to get a dog-that's the way I was looking.

Nothing at all wrong with Chocolates!!!  I love mine!!!
Sage...

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:14:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Good lookin Lab
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#36]
If you decide to get a dog go to the local shelters. Look at all the dogs and let the one find you. I have done this with 4 dogs and they have all been part of the family.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Cant go wrong with a Lab.... mine at about 8 months old... he is now almost 2. Looking forward to his second duck season. Ingore the evil eyes, my camera sucks.

By null

He is smart and sleeps on his toys so I dont jack them.....

By null
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top