Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2010 6:14:54 AM EDT
I'm looking to get EMT-Basic. The problem is I need a one, maybe 2 day a week program. I can probably get my work schedule changed to get certain days off for it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:28:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Where at in the StL area?  I attended EMT school at East Central Community college in Union.  They had a great program when I went through ('98).  I also believe St. Louis community college has a good course.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#2]
East Central in Union is a EMT factory......a couple of the local guys here have gone through it.

There's a new private school in the city somewhere.  I saw it on Ch.2 and then heard an interview on the radio.  I cannot remember where, but it was brand new.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#3]
A little off topic, but here is a bit of wisdom:
EMT's get paid shit, I know this first hand from working 60+ hours a week trying to bring in a decent living. In rural areas this is ok because you may only run 1-5 calls in a 12 hour shift. In the city the pay scale isn't much better, but EMS doesn't mean the same thing in the city as it does in rural areas (Rural EMS = Earn Money Sleeping).
Things to expect: Never finish a meal, expect only a couple good trauma calls a year if your lucky, the rest will be bullshit calls such as transfers and people with medicaid that have had a cold for a week but there car won't start to go to the ER at 0300. You will learn to despise nursing homes and everyone that works in them.

That said it can be a very rewarding profession, every day is different and you never know whats coming at you when the page tones go off.

Of course I could be completely wrong and your just getting your B for a completely different reason.

FWIW I spent 1 semester as a part time student to get some prereqs out of the way, and then 11months as a full time student (3 days a week) to finish my LPN and I am currently working on my RN (3 days a week, only 2 semesters after LPN). I work full time in the ER as an LPN and make more than the local medics (EMT-P).
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:32:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm currently in the ECC program and from what I can see there's going to be a glut in the next couple years. If you want to make money I don't think this is an appropriate field to get into locally.  There are a few districts that pay pretty well, but they have low turnover and have very high hiring standards.

Just talked with BMW941 on Saturday and he says the JeffCo program is quicker than ECC. Quick might be better if you're not degree-seeking and all you want is the NR license.  I can't say anything for MAC or Sanford Brown, although taking the practical exams at Sanford Brown afforded me a basic look at their program and facilities.  It wasn't any newer or extensive than ECC.  Also, I know a few years ago Sanford Brown was sanctioned by the state for having a low pass rate on the NCLEX for one of their nursing programs. That's definitely something to consider when looking for a program.

Are their students passing the National Registry exams with high frequency?

Gilt/Joe
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not looking to make a carrier out of it, I already have one. I'm looking to make myself more marketable so I can find a job doing what I already do now in the places I would much rather live (far away from any city). Also I only have one year left to use my GI bill.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Did mine in Columbia and clinicals at Boone.  The pay is bad, but if used for Fire Dept. or as additional training in areas like Law Enforcement etc. it can help you be more marketable.  I have never regretted taking the course, and it has been very valuable over the years.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I did mine 5 years ago via Meramec Community College.  Was recommended by the guys in our FD.  We needed to get a few guys trained for our entry team, and TEMT wasn't available in our area at the time (we now travel if necessary for the training)

Decent program, and about half the class went to work either at Abbott or other private entities.  About 10% went on to paramedic.

Good material, but just go with the understanding that basically you will be stabilizing via oxigen, bracing and bandages (aka boo boo kissers as my guys call em).

Its an accredited program, so might be worth looking into.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top