Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 8:40:01 PM EDT
I didn't want to hi-jack the other thread but have a couple of questions.  I sent off for my form 1 packets for a SBR and I am pretty confident in the process.  Where can I find a good engraver in the STL area?

Supressor question. Do you get the form 4 to purchase one? And how does this work? I assume they want the ser# on the form 4, so do you purchase and have it delivered to your dealer then send in the for four with the ser#? That would suck if you got denied! Or am I completely off base there?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I didn't want to hi-jack the other thread but have a couple of questions.  I sent off for my form 1 packets for a SBR and I am pretty confident in the process.  Where can I find a good engraver in the STL area?

Supressor question. Do you get the form 4 to purchase one? And how does this work? I assume they want the ser# on the form 4, so do you purchase and have it delivered to your dealer then send in the for four with the ser#? That would suck if you got denied! Or am I completely off base there?

No answer to your question other than I doubt you would have any trouble selling it if you did get denied.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I didn't want to hi-jack the other thread but have a couple of questions. I sent off for my form 1 packets for a SBR and I am pretty confident in the process. Where can I find a good engraver in the STL area?

Tag for info...  As I would really like to put together an SBR as well...

I'm guessing since you said Form 1, your buying a lower, getting it registered as SBR, getting it engraved, then slappin your upper on it and away you go???

Do you have or are you getting your C&R ?

Does being a L.E.O. help you in this?  

I need to get started on this if I'm ever going to get it done...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:23:21 AM EDT
[#3]
To answer your first question, I don't know any good local engravers, so I send mine off to either Ident Marking or Orion Arms.  Both of these companies do fantastic work.

As to the second question, you go to your local dealer, and purchase whichever suppressor you are wanting.  If the dealer has the can in stock, you fill out the form 4 and send it off with the cash.  If he has to order the can, it will transfer to him on a form 3, and then you fill out the form 4 once he has the can in hand.  As to getting denied, the ATF will refund your money eventually.  As to the refund of the cost of the can, that would be up to the dealer.  You could always sell the can and let the new buyer fill out the form 4 and pick up the can from your dealer after they are approved

I wouldn't worry about being denied.  If you can pass a NICS check for a 4473, you will be approved for NFA.  And I believe you too are a police officer, you should be good to go on that
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:25:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I didn't want to hi-jack the other thread but have a couple of questions. I sent off for my form 1 packets for a SBR and I am pretty confident in the process. Where can I find a good engraver in the STL area?

Tag for info...  As I would really like to put together an SBR as well...

I'm guessing since you said Form 1, your buying a lower, getting it registered as SBR, getting it engraved, then slappin your upper on it and away you go???

Do you have or are you getting your C&R ?   I hope so, otherwise it will be denied.

Does being a L.E.O. help you in this?   Nope, we are like everyone else and have to bide our time with NFA goodies.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

To answer your first question, I don't know any good local engravers, so I send mine off to either Ident Marking or Orion Arms. Both of these companies do fantastic work.

As to the second question, you go to your local dealer, and purchase whichever suppressor you are wanting. If the dealer has the can in stock, you fill out the form 4 and send it off with the cash. If he has to order the can, it will transfer to him on a form 3, and then you fill out the form 4 once he has the can in hand. As to getting denied, the ATF will refund your money eventually. As to the refund of the cost of the can, that would be up to the dealer. You could always sell the can and let the new buyer fill out the form 4 and pick up the can from your dealer after they are approved

I wouldn't worry about being denied. If you can pass a NICS check for a 4473, you will be approved for NFA. And I believe you too are a police officer, you should be good to go on that

Yea I was just doing some googling on this and I found Orion Arms page,  http://www.orion-arms.com/gun-engraving/short-barrel-rifle-engraving-locations.html

They show several places they can engrave the SBR stuff... Like the Front of the Mag well, underside of the lower on each side of the trigger, so one would need to turn it upside down to read it...  Don't think this would work on lowers that the trigger guard is part of (like LaRue Billet ones), but it might???

4 Weeks lead time and no price listed....  There has to be someone local here in St. louis that does this...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
To answer your first question, I don't know any good local engravers, so I send mine off to either Ident Marking or Orion Arms. Both of these companies do fantastic work.

As to the second question, you go to your local dealer, and purchase whichever suppressor you are wanting. If the dealer has the can in stock, you fill out the form 4 and send it off with the cash. If he has to order the can, it will transfer to him on a form 3, and then you fill out the form 4 once he has the can in hand. As to getting denied, the ATF will refund your money eventually. As to the refund of the cost of the can, that would be up to the dealer. You could always sell the can and let the new buyer fill out the form 4 and pick up the can from your dealer after they are approved

I wouldn't worry about being denied. If you can pass a NICS check for a 4473, you will be approved for NFA. And I believe you too are a police officer, you should be good to go on that

Yea I was just doing some googling on this and I found Orion Arms page,  http://www.orion-arms.com/gun-engraving/short-barrel-rifle-engraving-locations.html

They show several places they can engrave the SBR stuff... Like the Front of the Mag well, underside of the lower on each side of the trigger, so one would need to turn it upside down to read it...  Don't think this would work on lowers that the trigger guard is part of (like LaRue Billet ones), but it might???

4 Weeks lead time and no price listed....  There has to be someone local here in St. louis that does this...

You need to have the trigger guard removed to have it engraved on the flats on each side of the trigger, that is where I get mine engraved.  So I think on a lot of  the billet lowers, this would be a no go.  I like Ident Marking a lot.  they charge around $50-55 for the engraving and their turn around was about 2 weeks when I did my last a couple months ago.  Also Orion's lead time is normally shorter than what their website says.  My last one through them the site said 4 weeks and I got it back in less than two.  

Both companies also blacken the area that was engraved, making the engraving look factory.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tag for info... As I would really like to put together an SBR as well...

Do you have or are you getting your C&R ? I hope so, otherwise it will be denied. Damn, thats what I was afraid of...

Does being a L.E.O. help you in this? Nope, we are like everyone else and have to bide our time with NFA goodies.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the answers, that's what I was looking for. Yes I got my C&R about 8 months ago. I have a AR build about half finished, it's been laying around for a year, I want to get it done. smullen being a LEO doesn't help, if the ATF shows up they make us shoot our own dog

Again thanks,
Jerry
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is the local engraver I would use...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I use Fran Ann engraving.  

8086 Watson Rd Saint Louis,MO 63119  

(314) 842-5545
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool thanks
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#13]
This engraver did my SBR. Did a real good job.

Incredible Engravings  
50 Triad South DR
St Charles, MO 63304  
1-800-955-6011
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top