Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 5:32:18 PM EDT
I talked to a guy who gives cc class in missouri for a utah cc permit. This is new to me so I was hoping some of you could fill me in on this subject.  He stated the class is only 3 hours, with no qualifying  with the gun. he stated utah permit  cost 65.00 per  5 years.. Has anyone else took this route? I guess you mail  your paper work to DMV in utah and they amil you permit. Sounds like a good deal. Hope someone can fill me in on if this sounds correct, and if it would be legal in Missouri. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
It is legal.

I don't think it is through the Utah DMV though.  Just do a search for Utah ccw or go to the states homepage and you should be ably to find out the application info you need.

Here you go.  This will get you started.

ETA: In before the "it's legal but you shouldn't crowd".  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Legal and big business when I lived in Oregon.

Oregon will not reciprocate with any other state so only a few will recognize thiers. Folks there get the Utah permit so they can travel out of state with thier handguns.

Just curious as to why you would bother. The MO CCW permit is already recognized with every gun friendly state in the US
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The MO CCW permit is already recognized with every gun friendly state in the US

Less hassle and much less expensive renewal on the UT permit.  Interestingly enough, my UT and MO permits both expired on exactly the same day this past year, so I got to go through both at the same time.

One advantage to a MO resident getting a MO permit is that some states only honor a resident's permit.  IOW, if you came to Michigan, a MO resident with a UT permit is not legal to carry.  But a MO resident with a MO permit is good-to-go.  

Also, I don't know if KS honors UT (or if maybe it's another resident-only thing), but they do honor MO's.  I lived in KC, so I was over on the KS side quite a bit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The best reason to get a MO permit is simply numbers. As some one pointed out in another thread recently it's simply a matter of exercising the right, so that when someone looks at the statistics there is  large portion of the voting populace that is active enough to go out and get there CCW. MO politicians aren't going to see your UT CCW.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I did it with 2 buddies so we could carry at 21.  

Other than that reason, I'd just go with the MO permit.  There are some differences in this state (something about school zones) that make it worth getting.  Now, you can get both in one class.  The class we took was for Florida, Missouri, and Utah, and since the qualification is good forever, I can get my MO permit at 23 without taking another class.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Other than that reason, I'd just go with the MO permit.  There are some differences in this state (something about school zones) that make it worth getting.  Now, you can get both in one class.  The class we took was for Florida, Missouri, and Utah, and since the qualification is good forever, I can get my MO permit at 23 without taking another class.

FL accepted my MO Heritage card as proof of training when I was 21, and anyone that has taken a MO Hunter Safety Course knows how much of a joke that is.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:26:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys for the info. I wasnt seeking a Utah permit. I just saw a business that advertised gun permit classes . When I called they said it was for Utah permit. I didnt know you could do that . The thing that interested me was 3 hour class  as to 8 hour class.   I work real crazy long hours and 8 hour course  dosent sound as good as a 3 hour one.   I will check out the kansas  laws since I am also in KC area.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FL accepted my MO Heritage card as proof of training when I was 21, and anyone that has taken a MO Hunter Safety Course knows how much of a joke that is.

Really?  I'd still take the class knowing that, just for the legal aspect of carrying.  It was pretty enlightening.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#9]
When I recently renewed my Utah CCW for another 5 years the fee was only $10.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top