Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2010 4:46:00 PM EDT
My 13 yr old is in 8th grade now, they are making her take spanish class and she told me she doesnt want to learn spanish, honestly i dont want her to have it crammed down her throat either. She goes to the class as told but she does her other homework in there instead, i told her thats fine so long your doin school work, if the teacher has a problem, tell him to call me........

Tonight i get a call from some .....guy i couldnt understand and finally after couple mins realized hes the spanish teacher. He tried telling me that my daughter is not working in his class, i asked what is she doing, he says she does math. I told him thats fine, that means shes working, he then told me hes concerned she wont learn spanish and will fail.  I as kindly as i could (After having to deal with tryin to understand his spanglish) told him that im not gonna make my daughter learn spanish cause our gov is scared to keep the illegal mexicans from crossing the border. He got agitated (I think.....i know i was) cause i could hear it in his voice but couldnt understand what he was saying so i told him Look, i cant understand you, can you speak english? how you became a teacher at a American school is beyond me, you need to go to english class, after you do that, call me and discuss this issue further with me......and i hung up before i got ignorant.

Im sure this isnt over but what should i do, the wife wont allow me to go to the school and talk to the teacher or principal tomorrow but i dont beleive my daughters should have this crap forced on them either and i wont allow it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Why is a foreign language mandatory? I took spanish for a couple years when I was in school and didn't learn shit...
But it was an elective, hindsight what it is I should have taken more higher math classes!

She is your daughter, so it is up to you to be her advocate, go to the principle and ask why a foreign language is being forced on your daughter.
explain the situation and good luck to you.

I disagree that she is being forced to take spanish. That is BULLSHIT.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to try and get her released from that class so it does not effect her grades. Talk to the schools academic counselor and if it is against your families personal beliefs there should be another elective type class that she could get in since it is so early in the semester. If nothing else she could be a library or office helper for that period of the school day.

Flies with honey instead of vinegar

agreed its BS
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Good on ya BF!

I live in a rural community, and know the day is coming where my kids will be backed against this wall. I was just informed it's no longer called "english class" it's called "communication arts".
I think it's a fucked deal. I have already made up my mind tht if they force my daughter to the class, we will consider pulling her, and home schooling. I know that is not an option for most people, but I don't think forcing my kid to learn a foreign language, because said "foreigners" are too lazy to learn english, is the right way.

I'm curious to see what your outcome will be. I think it's shit!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea.... the school already knows they don't want me coming up there, I'm pretty sure you are the same way from what you've said. It's BS, and she shouldn't, no..... NOBODY should have to take spanish ! The fuckers need to take ENGLISH  instead!

Good luck, but they would end up throwing me the fuck outta there I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think it is a bad idea to have a mandatory foreign language class in high school, but to make it one foreign language is bullshit, whether that language is spanish, french, german or russian etc......

If the school is forcing her to take one language (especially if they are doing it so she can better communicate with the tidal wave of illegals), then there is a problem, I don't know for sure what to do about it.  You don't want your daughter's academic career put in jeopardy, especially if she wants to go to college.  I might speak with the principal and see what the deal is, and if spanish is mandatory I would contact the school board.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Im gonna find out if theres a different foreign language class,, or if theres some thing else she can do. It drives me nuts they are doin this, and yes, we are out in the sticks, we dont live in no city.

As far as catchin more flies with honey then vinegar ......yep i know, but once i get to that certain point that i feel my temp climb, ears start ringin and body starts tingling (And it hapeneds REAL quick)....theres no honey to give. You get what ever i give, like it or not.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I"m with you on it being BS.  Please keep us informed of how things go and what is done.  I'd like to be armed for when they try to cram that shit down my kids throat in a few years.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My 13 yr old is in 8th grade now, they are making her take spanish class and she told me she doesnt want to learn spanish, honestly i dont want her to have it crammed down her throat either. She goes to the class as told but she does her other homework in there instead, i told her thats fine so long your doin school work, if the teacher has a problem, tell him to call me........

Tonight i get a call from some .....guy i couldnt understand and finally after couple mins realized hes the spanish teacher. He tried telling me that my daughter is not working in his class, i asked what is she doing, he says she does math. I told him thats fine, that means shes working, he then told me hes concerned she wont learn spanish and will fail.  I as kindly as i could (After having to deal with tryin to understand his spanglish) told him that im not gonna make my daughter learn spanish cause our gov is scared to keep the illegal mexicans from crossing the border. He got agitated (I think.....i know i was) cause i could hear it in his voice but couldnt understand what he was saying so i told him Look, i cant understand you, can you speak english? how you became a teacher at a American school is beyond me, you need to go to english class, after you do that, call me and discuss this issue further with me......and i hung up before i got ignorant.

Im sure this isnt over but what should i do, the wife wont allow me to go to the school and talk to the teacher or principal tomorrow but i dont beleive my daughters should have this crap forced on them either and i wont allow it.

This cracked me up when I read it.  

I think beltfedMGs is one of my top 5 favorite characters on this site.  I mean that in a nice way, too.

Even a school in the sticks should have more than one mandatory foreign language option. Spanish isn't all it's cracked up to be, IMO.  

Whatever happened to assimilation?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#9]
You should be able to get her transferred into a different class (as said above), but it depends how ignorant the people at her school want to be. Some of them get pretty uppity about stuff.

When my daughter was around that age she was having trouble in her math at the begging of the year, and had told me she had trouble understanding the teacher. I thought she meant it was trouble understanding what he was teaching, but at the open house the teacher had several of us sit around a circle with him because our kids weren't doing well. He started talking, and I don't know what language it was but I couldn't understand him. Some of the other parents were looking at each other obviously thinking the same thing too. I interrupted and said to the other parents No wonder they're having trouble; this guy can't even speak English. I told him my daughter better not fail because he doesn't know how to talk, and I left the room. I think they got one of those teacher's aids or something, but my daughter did OK after that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Beltfed. I agree 100% with you. She should be able to take whatever she wants as long as it reaches her goals of college's requirements.

But I caution you. I know UMR(now MO S&T) requires two classes of the same foreign language in high school. I assume many schools are going to be this way to weed out those "slacker" kids of the applicant pool.

You know how I got through Spanish 1&2? I learned the bare minimum and cheated off the junior class' valedictorian(when I was a senior). I can still get by at a Mexican resturant or in small conversations with a Hispanic who is patient with me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I couldn't even begin to imagine how the school will handle the issue with your daughter...

But I can tell you for sure, Spanish will be spoken in America in the coming decade as widely as English. It's on nearly every label of every product sold. It's on billboards & street signs. It's everywhere you turn and it's not going to just disappear with legislation because that legislation will never happen.

I grew up in the Rocky Mountain area about as far away from Mexico as you could get without crossing into Canada. I heard Spanish language as soon as I heard English. When I lived in the Southwest, Spanish was more common than English. Spanish is quite common is most parts of St. Louis.

I'm not trying to advocate for Spanish as a mandatory class...

My advice would be to come to grips with the fact that knowing how to communicate in Spanish is going to be an asset for your daughter. I feel for you as a parent. I can understand your frustration with this nation's present situation regarding illegal immigration. It pisses me off to no end. But the reality is, the Mexican's have been here longer than we care to think about. They're not going to retreat back to Mexico. Most of them already know enough English to get by and are assimilating into our 'national' American culture about as fast as they possibly can because most of them do have similar values, Christian heritage and want to succeed financially.

May I suggest, politely, that you take this opportunity to enroll in a beginning Spanish language class through a local community center and help your daughter with her challenge versus leaving her out of the future.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have friends from South Africa, they used to tell a joke all the time then went something like this, "What do you call a person who speaks 3 languages? A: Tri-Lingual, What do you call a person who speaks 2 languages? A: bi-lingual. What do you call a person the speaks one language? A: American."
I don't approve of illegal immigration either. However, this isn't an immigration issue, and there's no harm in learning something new, especially a new language. Teaching your daughter that its ok to not do something because you don't want to isn't going to help her, it will simply help to develop the "I don't feel like it" mentality that's so prevalent in teens today. You're creating a conflict where one need not exist. I'm curious, other than her and you not wanting to, what's the damage done by learning the basic structure of the 3rd most spoken language in the world? Keep in mind that unlike English, Spanish has its roots in Latin and is known as one of the "Romantic Languages." To understand Spanish will allow her to also understand the basic structure of Latin, French, Italian, and Portuguese as well, even to the point of comprehending the languages. The more she learns at a young age, the faster she will learn later in life.

Sorry, don't mean to sound offensive, but you asked for advice, mine is, tell your daughter that sometimes we have to do things we don't like and that there are no down sides to learning a language.  I say encourage her to embrace what is being taught, and accept it for what it is, knowledge and understanding. Also, I know its annoying to listen to someone with a thick accent, but its also good to do so, when you do, you begin to understand how their language works from the prospective of a native. i.e. his enunciation and how he phrases sentences, its actually very useful when learning.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:44:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I wish my kids would have learned more spanish.  I see opportunities all the time for bi-lingual people and there will certainly be a premium on them in the future.  Also, if there ever comes a time in the future where her career might entice her to want to learn spanish, well, learning a new language gets geometrically harder as you get older.  
Unless the school is doing something blatantly wrong or unfair, I usually always support the teachers and faculty at school.  We have a lot of students around here that are taught by their parents that a little bit of bitching and whining and/or rudeness and violence is the best way to get what you want.  I prefer to teach them to work hard and respect their elders.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:40:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I know when I was in Columbia Public Schools taking a foreign language was mandatory. I didnt like it but I took spanish. Now that im older I can see the benefit of taking a foreign language at the highschool level and I believe its a good idea .. however you need options. Columbia Public Schools at least offered a bunch of different languages.

Another thought I have is that I have a cousin who earned a bachelors degree in spanish at the university of illinois and she tells me what a lot of kids learn in highschool isnt true spanish ... its the bastardized version that has a lot of slang words in it. Rebecca has spent over a year in spain, several months in mexico and then a year working at a clinic near a meat packing plant ... needless to say she says what is taught in highschool is just barely better than what the illigeals are speaking. Mind you not every school is the same and some are held to higher standards than others. From my experiences in the columbia shools teachers who learn spanish through a us university speak in a more proper/technically correct way (and are much easier to learn from) than any of the native speakers I had as instructors.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:15:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Beltfed. I agree 100% with you. She should be able to take whatever she wants as long as it reaches her goals of college's requirements.

But I caution you. I know UMR(now MO S&T) requires two classes of the same foreign language in high school. I assume many schools are going to be this way to weed out those "slacker" kids of the applicant pool.

You know how I got through Spanish 1&2? I learned the bare minimum and cheated off the junior class' valedictorian(when I was a senior). I can still get by at a Mexican resturant or in small conversations with a Hispanic who is patient with me.

This sums it up.  If you want to go to college, you will have to have a foreign language class in public schools.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:38:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't know about anyone else here, but I have to do stuff I don't want to do all the time.  In fact, I think I spend more time every day doing stuff I don't want than doing what I do want.  I think that's one of the best lessons I ever learned in school, how to do stuff I don't want to do.

Like a few others have said, the Spanish-free America ship has sailed, and it's only going to get worse.  I don't see how being prepared for that is a bad thing.  <–– That's a bit hypocritical since I don't know a lick of Spanish and I'm not going to put forth any effort to learn it, but that doesn't mean I'll discourage my daughters from learning it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:49:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't know about anyone else here, but I have to do stuff I don't want to do all the time.  In fact, I think I spend more time every day doing stuff I don't want than doing what I do want.  I think that's one of the best lessons I ever learned in school, how to do stuff I don't want to do.

Like a few others have said, the Spanish-free America ship has sailed, and it's only going to get worse.  I don't see how being prepared for that is a bad thing.  <–– That's a bit hypocritical since I don't know a lick of Spanish and I'm not going to put forth any effort to learn it, but that doesn't mean I'll discourage my daughters from learning it.

Did i say i discouraged her from doing it??? She expressed to me she didnt want to learn the shit so i backed her up.

As for others saying i should go to a class and learn spanish myself to help my daughter to better become a US gubment sheeple, theres not a chance in hell. Fuck this "Cant beat em join em shit"
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:37:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
<snip>
Did i say i discouraged her from doing it??? She expressed to me she didnt want to learn the shit so i backed her up.

As for others saying i should go to a class and learn spanish myself to help my daughter to better become a US gubment sheeple, theres not a chance in hell. Fuck this "Cant beat em join em shit"

Belt, you don't want to hear this, and I am you can easily ignore this, however as a former 'I don't want to do this' student in HS, you are doing your daughter a terrible disservice. I can appreciate your stance that this is America and we speak English hear. However its exactly this type of ignorant, close minded attitude that has caused many of the problems we face today.
Additionally, where does it stop? So she doesn't like Spanish, what about next year when she takes geometry, calculus, chemistry, or physics? Even if she doesn't learn enough to have a conversation in class she could atleast learn enough to be better prepared for the occasional encounter with someone that speaks spanish.

And as some one else pointed out above, Spanish can and will make it easier to learn a significant number of other languages that she may be more interested in.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:43:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Ke pasa?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A "mandatory" foreign language class is not such a hardship or a bad thing.  However, if they are mandating it be Spanish, I too would balk.

BF, I'm with ya.  The day I walk into a business, besides a Mexican eatery, and they do not speaka-da-English, is the day I walk right back out the door and patronize their competition who DO speaka-da-English.

Eric nailed it. Foreign languages Are not bad. But if they are saying you must take Spanish then they need to open their eyes.

Now another issue comes from small schools many times only have the resources for one foreign language class. My first high school had a french teacher and outsourced German via ITV. My second high school only had Spanish. I wanted to learn Spanish so it wasn't a big deal.

Seriously though check out the schoolsthat your daughter wants to go to after HS and do at least enough to get in those schools. I never used the two years of Espanol that I had while in college but I did use it a lot to humor the Hispanics at the local Mex place.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Beltfed....FWIW here's  my slant. My eldest wants to learn to speak German. Would that be cool? Yes. Maybe even a homage to part of our family culture? Yes. Practical? No. I told him that before he leaves our house he will take and pass a Spanish class at school. Why? It's a survival issue. As the hispanic population grows by way of immigration and with that, non-english speakers, he may come upon a situation where someone might feel comfortable plotting a crime scheme or even just a bonehead shenanigan against him while speaking spanish within earshot.  He is about as hardcore anglo looking as they get. I want him to be armed with an important tool that he can use to help him or maybe even someone else to survive or avoid that situation. My son will have as many "edges" if you will that I can give him. I do not want him out in the jungle being wide eyed and ignorant. Those that do not or are unwilling to adapt to changing situations put themselves at risk of suffering the consequences.

In closing, I must concede however that I too would not be happy with a single language only being forced upon my child at school.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did I say you said you discouraged it ??? I said I would not discourage MY daughters.

The rest of my post implied that this would be a good time to teach her that sometimes you have to do things you don't want to.  

Just a question for anyone here.  How many of us knew what we needed to know for the rest of our lives at age 13?  I'm glad I didn't start closing doors on knowledge that early on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#24]
I see it as an opportunity.  In the  past 5 years, I've gotten to travel to Spain and Mexico.  My HS spanish (I took more than a quarter century ago) served me pretty well.  I had spanish phrases popping out of my mouth that I hadn't thought of in years, and made the trip that much easier.

I've used Spanish a helluva lot more than I've diagramed sentences in English in the past 30 years.

Give your kid every tool you can while they are young, even if you have to push them a little.  They will thank you down the road.

...but that's just my opinion, you have to do what you think is best for your family.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#25]
To me all i hear is a bunch of cop outs. It will make my kids life easier???? Screw that, what would make life easier is if we didnt have people in control, who think like that of what im hearing, "it will make life easier to just forcefully teach the true Americans kids spanish then to try and keep the illegal mexicans out of our country and our kids face"....yeah, that makes sense.

I cant wait till this country hits absolute bottom, or maybe we have, maybe thats why some of you have given up?

Talked to the principal, he says hes had 1 other complaint already about the teacher and his speaking abilities. Said he knows he has a strong "Accent". Says he sat in his class once and what he does is the teacher writes a word or sentence on the chalk board, then CALLS A STUDENT UP TO THE CHALK BOARD TO SAY IT TO THE CLASS IN ENGLISH SO THEY UNDERSTAND THEN THE TEACHER SAYS IT IN SPANISH.......... He can write in english or copy out of a book, but he cant say it???? Hes gonna see what he can do about getting her out of the class, will find out tomorrow whats gonna happened.

Yes, spanish is the only foreign language for them to do, no other options, not till high school, then theres other options. One way or another shes comin out of that class.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I look at it as a useful survival skill in this day and age. I remember a line from Training Day..
You gotta see the streets. You gotta feel it. You gotta smell it, you gotta taste the streets. How's your Espanol?

Uh, mas o menos.

Learn that shit, brother. That shit'll get you killed. These motherfuckers out there be plotting all types of shit on you.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't have a dog in this hunt except to say I wish I was fluent in Spanish. Every where it seems these days someone I need to communicate with speaks Spanish. Most Mexicans speak english so we get by. However they turn to others and speak Spanish and my circumstance can be affected without really knowing what's going on.  

That said,  baby sis is an English teacher living in South Korea. Koreans pay teachers outside of the school system. Nancy has students that come to her and she stays booked, turning people away. I've commented more than once the need to speak spanish and she quips, "Well you should." Speaking multiple lanquages teaches you how to use both sides of your brain.

My daughter took spanish as an elective in high school. To this day I dont know what she got out of it, cause she speaks very little of it.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#28]
1911, your daughter had the option. My daughter is being forced this shit for all the wrong reasons.

Edited to add, where we live theres no blacks, no asians, no mexicans, its white folk thats it. No one on the roads at night speakin a different language to their buddy tryin to get over on us. If she wants to learn spanish in high school thats fine, but it should be her choice.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
1911, your daughter had the option. My daughter is being forced this shit for all the wrong reasons.

Edited to add, where we live theres no blacks, no asians, no mexicans, its white folk thats it. No one on the roads at night speakin a different language to their buddy tryin to get over on us. If she wants to learn spanish in high school thats fine, but it should be her choice.

Wayne, does she want to go to college? If so she is going to need at least one year of a foreign language. Unless she is going to go to a local community college.

She can take french, german, Russian, Finnish, farci, or any other languages but chances are they will be a waste of time, a true waste of time. When is the last time you met a Finnish person? Russian? If she is forced to take a foreign language and waste an hour a day of schooling for two years she might as well get some use out of it. She will use Spanish in the future because I suspect she will leave the area you live for a short while for higher education. And remember there are many non-illegals in America that do still speak Spanish as a
Secondary language.

If she goes to a median restaurant she can talk in Spanish and it general gets you better service as they respect you just as we respect and are more forgiving to those who try to assimilate to our culture. Give a little-take a little.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Una cerveza y dos poblanos, por favor!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I think they should be teaching Chinese. Those are the f'ers who own our asses. They will show up one day to repo our government soon. Now days that may not be a bad thing either...lol
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wayne, does she want to go to college? If so she is going to need at least one year of a foreign language. Unless she is going to go to a local community college.

She can take french, german, Russian, Finnish, farci, or any other languages but chances are they will be a waste of time, a true waste of time. When is the last time you met a Finnish person? Russian? If she is forced to take a foreign language and waste an hour a day of schooling for two years she might as well get some use out of it. She will use Spanish in the future because I suspect she will leave the area you live for a short while for higher education. And remember there are many non-illegals in America that do still speak Spanish as a
Secondary language.

If she goes to a median restaurant she can talk in Spanish and it general gets you better service as they respect you just as we respect and are more forgiving to those who try to assimilate to our culture. Give a little-take a little.

Im NOT against her taking a foreign language. Im not against her takin spanish. Im against them cramming it down her throat for wrong reasons with no other option at a young age. Im against the teacher at a American school in MIDDLE America not even able to speak english yet hes paid to teach my english speaking kids. I think Chad actually has a point, all the chinese will get is a bunch of  mexicans and a couple hundred spanish speaking Americans.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think they should be teaching Chinese. Those are the f'ers who own our asses. They will show up one day to repo our government soon. Now days that may not be a bad thing either...lol

Agreed, Mandarin is better.  Why learn a language to communicate with a lawn guy or a food service fellow.   Why not Hindi?  Hi tech country too.

OP, I agree with you 100%.  Forcing Spanish is a copout and disgusting.  CHOOSING Spanish is great if that's what one wants. Yes, Spanish is better than German and probably French.  But Mandarin, although very hard, would be better.  Also, most Mexicans speak a broken Spanish and those fluent in Spanish will tell you that communication with our illegal brothers can be difficult if not futile.  

Or you can choose the elitist route and learn Latin.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#34]
My issue is with the school, a Junior High mandating that a student take a foreign language class with no other option.

Not against taking another language, good idea. But not in Junior High school.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Beltfed,

I made several points in post. My point for Spanish class taught in high school was in my daughter's case a waste of time and tax payer money. She complained about her teacher being hard to understand too. If a teacher is hired to teach spanish in our schools I don't see why they wouldn't have mastered our english dialect first.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

If you want to make money, learn Chinese.  If you want to work for the government or a social services/non-profit not making jacksquat, learn Spanish.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, Spanish is better than German ...
May you choke on a weinerschnitzel!  

+100
100% Kraut here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#39]
As far as cramming things down our kids throat and we as parents told to shut up and sit down. ........ Now you got me started.

Forcing Spanish on on our kids is by far the least harm they have done...... This Nazi, Socialist, One World, America;s bad, your Parents are from a capitalistic, pollutionist, destroy the World, War Mongering Culture of deception and they don't have your best interests in mind. In fact they are stupid and you should not listen to them. Sign on now to a new, Greener, kinder, One World Leader order and save yourselves from your parents through Collective Salvation.. Not that they would allow prayer in school, because that might offend the Agnostics, or Atheists, or Tree Huggers, or the biggest offense of all....... The Islamic faith. Oh, and by the way. 911 was a hoax. A conspiracy perpetrated by the Evil Lord Cheney and his vehicle of Doom, Haliburton. It will take a life time of patience, tough love, and thoughtful examples of Common Sense to undo what they've taught my daughter.

Lord only knows what they've taught or tried to teach yours ! Spanish is the least they've done !

Ok, enough of this... I've got spastic spew all over my keyboard and I need to go take a pill.

Best regards to your situation, Good Luck. May God return to the schools and Pledge of Allegiance be said and heard every day like it was when I was in school..
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#41]
OK about what to do, follow the schools chain of command.  You have talked or contacted the teacher, which did not go well, but you should state that you do not agree about the course.  The next step is to discuss this with the Administrator/Principal and express your concern.  I know you have strong feelings toward the topic, but the best approach is to be direct and explain that you do not want your daughter taking the class (period, do not discuss political views, you do not want her in this teachers class, period) and you are requesting a schedule change.  If that does not resolve the issue with a class change, then move on to the Superintendent.  Same type of direct, clear approach about your concerns and that you want her class changed.  The next step is the School Board.  Contact them as elected representatives in a clear and calm manner.  Having her moved as soon as possible is the best move for all involved.

I respect the concern and your rights as a parent to decide whats best for your child.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Shi haung, thanks for the advice, im on top of it. Contacted the principal today, get my answer tomorrow as to if they move her out of the class. If that dont work i will be following your advice....if that dont work, i will do it my way.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, Spanish is better than German ...
May you choke on a weinerschnitzel!  

Ya what he said.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#44]
ya when i was going through school (2000-2004) they made us take a foreign language class. i still remember to this day that the counsler said "you have your choice of french, german, spanish. but someday it will we required to know spaninsh for all of the imgrants so we can speak with them and understand." i said "listen i should not be forced to learn a language such as spanish so i can understand them in our country. i sure as hell wont learn french because i wont be associated with being a pussy. i'll take german. atleast they aren't affraid to fight for what they believe in." ya i had to go see the principal for my comment. funny thing is thats when i was 14 and didnt know anything about politics. little did i know of how much i still stand by what i believe in haha
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Beltfed, keep us updated, I'm interested in seeing what they do to help you in this situation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#46]
The fact that I can communicate with spanish speaking individuals has only been a positive thing, never a negative.

The teacher was hired to teach Spanish. I can see why he might be irritated.

I would try to get her out of the class though. If she isn't going to learn it, she probably wont get a good grade and that's not going to help anything.

just my .02
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#47]
This country is screwed. The second language classes should be an elective. I'm 36 years old and have NEVER needed Spanish. Thing is, many of these Mexicans can speak(or at least understand it) English just fine. I will not bother y'all with an anecdotal story, but being in the construction industry, I see it too much.

This is the land of the free, and I appreciate this, but there has to be a line drawn in the sand. There needs to be enough. Forcing a child to learn a predetermined language is... Bunk! Slowly but surely, the America I know, is dwindling away
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ke pasa?

Nada, pero él no quiere que su hija fuera obligado a aprender español en contra de su voluntad.

Quoted:
I look at it as a useful survival skill in this day and age. I remember a line from Training Day..

You gotta see the streets. You gotta feel it. You gotta smell it, you gotta taste the streets. How's your Espanol?

Uh, mas o menos.

Learn that shit, brother. That shit'll get you killed. These motherfuckers out there be plotting all types of shit on you.

This sounds illogical, but I agree with spectre, I have used my espanol to get my self out of a bunch of problems. But it should be your daughters choice to learn it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Slowly but surely, the America I know, is dwindling away

At 48 I can say.

The America I grew up in is gone. What we have now is sur-real, straight out of George Orwell's book, 1984. A book he wrote in 1903.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top