Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2010 7:12:42 AM EDT
It takes 45 days for the sheriff to issue your CCW permit?

They run you thru NCIC, REGIS, and MULES done if nothing shows up you should be good to go I would think.
I know I should probably be happy with the fact Missouri allows CCW but it still pisses me off the fee's the wait ETC....

It's BULLSHIT......

2/10 rant not enough F-Bombs I know but I did have to ask.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#1]
My sheriff is actually a big supporter of CCW and mine still took dang near the entire time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Short answer, because they can.  

Still some bullshit but that is the best answer I've heard so far.    
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#5]
My sheriff told me it was because he had to wait on the MSHP to clear the background check and fingerprint cards.  

Renewals are issued almost instantaniously.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#6]
You can always go out of state, give MO some competition maybe they'll fight harder for our money down the road.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Long answer - Because they can!

Average in my county is 7 days. So for the counties that are taking the full 45 days, what part of the law are they not following. Only way to find out is to challenge them in court. Anybody? Anybody? No, did not think so. Sorry, but I guess you have to wait then.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Average in my county is 7 days. So for the counties that are taking the full 45 days, what part of the law are they not following. Only way to find out is to challenge them in court. Anybody? Anybody? No, did not think so. Sorry, but I guess you have to wait then.....

What county?  I'm in Jeffco.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You can always go out of state, give MO some competition maybe they'll fight harder for our money down the road.

This is a good answer. I went with Florida, because I could send my DD214 instead of going through the MO training class. Saved time and money, and I like that.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Clay County was pretty quick.....18 days or so when I got mine several years ago.

I know Jackson County where a couple friends got theirs....they let them know they would take every single day possible before approving them..........as previously started "because they can"     In CCW friendly counties, they may be slowed by MOHP doing checks if the amount of people signing up has increased alot....in that case I would say its a good sign!
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

St Charles will take 15 days to renew and almost 45 days for new, as said before "because they can"
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Live free or die.

Or wait for some piece of human garbage to approve your CCW.

You were born with that right. Stop asking for permission. Especially if you live in St. Charles (human garbage reference would def. apply then.)
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a good answer. I went with Florida, because I could send my DD214 instead of going through the MO training class. Saved time and money, and I like that.

Please explain more.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Personally..... I'M ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED that people [i][still/i] bother to get Missouri permits.  The advantages of having an out-of-state permit (particularly Florida) FAR outweigh the "need" to have the MO permit!
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It takes 45 days for the sheriff to issue your CCW permit?

The county that I live in has been known to get the job done in less than a week.  If YOU WANT a MISSOURI endorsment/CCW permit that's great.

I DO NOT WANT OR NEED A MISSOURI CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT.  The Missouri Statutes ––- CAREFULLY written by Missouri lawmakers ––- says VERY clearly that Missouri will honor/accept concealed carry endorsements/licenses from ALL states and political subdivisions.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 5:08:45 AM EDT
[#16]
When you travel out of state, some of those states do not accept non-resident CCW permits as being valid.
(Yea, we all know it's unconstitutional bullshit, but until the voters fire those idiots making it so... it is what it is.)

So that means a MO resident carrying on a concealed permit issued from Florida, is gonna fork out money and/or do jail time if caught doing such in a state that has made laws against it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#17]
MIne took a week in Clay county.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next door in Franklin County.

To answer Beaverpelt's question: A Florida permit requirements are to show that you received firearms training. So a DD214 (release from service), a Hunter Education card, an Appleseed project or any other form of firearms training will cover their requirements.

It doesn't have to make sense, it's just their law...

Now, why get a Missouri permit, even though some counties are not following the law, it shows a voting block who believe in the 2nd. Amendment and the right to self-defense. Currently there are over 100,000 Missouri permits issued. We have no idea how many OOS permits Missouri residents have. When we go to our politicians requesting changes to the current laws, having a voting block to back our case is a great help.

Again, if you want to win you need to learn how to play the game.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#19]
This is exactly why I have mine and I don't need it.
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next door in Franklin County.

To answer Beaverpelt's question: A Florida permit requirements are to show that you received firearms training. So a DD214 (release from service), a Hunter Education card, an Appleseed project or any other form of firearms training will cover their requirements.

It doesn't have to make sense, it's just their law...

Now, why get a Missouri permit, even though some counties are not following the law, it shows a voting block who believe in the 2nd. Amendment and the right to self-defense. Currently there are over 100,000 Missouri permits issued. We have no idea how many OOS permits Missouri residents have. When we go to our politicians requesting changes to the current laws, having a voting block to back our case is a great help.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Well I personally dont think it takes 45 days , I agree with the poster who said "Because they can " When  I got my CCW I was told to come in and pick up my paperwork, when I got there it was not ready , in fact no one had even looked at it yet because it was still sitting in the same bin as when I dropped it off .  The lady told me to have a seat and she would take care of it. In less than 10 mins she came back with everything ready to go.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Me and my brother both did the same.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please explain more.

Just check out FA's website. You send acceptable training documents, prints, fill out an app, about 30 days later you're good to go.

It's cheaper than MO, easier to get, and lasts longer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Time to start electing a NEW Sheriff that respects the RIGHTS of the people......

VOTE the BUMS out.......
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:08:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Time to start electing a NEW Sheriff that respects the RIGHTS of the people......

VOTE the BUMS out.......

THIS!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:20:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My sheriff told me it was because he had to wait on the MSHP to clear the background check and fingerprint cards.  

Renewals are issued almost instantaniously.

This. They can't issue until the prints are cleared at GHQ MSHP.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Mac Country takes about 12 - 13 days, they call AS SOON AS the background check comes back. They have no choice.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine took exactly 10 days from day of CCW class to the day of picking up my state ID from the DMV. The Deputy working the at desk said it was the fastest turn around time she'd ever seen. On top of that they waived the Sheriff fee and only charged me the MHP fee. It would have been faster if it weren't for the weekend(s).

I'm in Jeff City/Cole County.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:37:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The latest figures that I found (just doing a quick search ––- not "making a job" of it!) ––-
Current Missouri CCW holders (August, 2010) ––- approx. 108,537
Missouri registered voters (2008 data from the Missouri S.O.S. website) ––- approx. 4,205,774

So.... MAYBE 2-1/2% of the registered voters in Missouri have a MISSOURI CCW endorsement.  Not really a huge factor.... not EVEN CLOSE to being a huge voting block.  

If you REALLY believe that we've been "winning the game" due to numbers and/or voters ..... ehhh..... I'm not even going to TRY to explain!!

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:40:50 AM EDT
[#28]
They have 45 days. Many departments mark the day you apply for your permit count 45 days ahead and put your name in the “to call” list for that day. Other departments don’t want to have to deal with your paperwork for 45 days and will call you as soon as they get all the info back. Could be much worse, like the guys who say “Applied for my permit today, should be back in 8 months or so!”
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The latest figures that I found (just doing a quick search ––- not "making a job" of it!) ––-

Current Missouri CCW holders (August, 2010) ––- approx. 108,537

Missouri registered voters (2008 data from the Missouri S.O.S. website) ––- approx. 4,205,774

So.... MAYBE 2-1/2% of the registered voters in Missouri have a MISSOURI CCW endorsement. Not really a huge factor.... not EVEN CLOSE to being a huge voting block.

If you REALLY believe that we've been "winning the game" due to numbers and/or voters ..... ehhh..... I'm not even going to TRY to explain!!

These two posts nail the issue.  I cannot comprehend the notion to just get an OOS permit because it's cheaper or better.  At the minimum you should get a Missouri permit to exercise your right, as in doing so reduces the inclination for someone to screw with it legislatively in the future.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They have 45 days. Many departments mark the day you apply for your permit count 45 days ahead and put your name in the “to call” list for that day. Other departments don’t want to have to deal with your paperwork for 45 days and will call you as soon as they get all the info back. Could be much worse, like the guys who say “Applied for my permit today, should be back in 8 months or so!”

RSMO 571.101-4.2.5:
Before an application for a certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement is approved, the sheriff shall make only such inquiries as he or she deems necessary into the accuracy of the statements made in the application. The sheriff may require that the applicant display a Missouri driver's license or nondriver's license or military identification and orders showing the person being stationed in Missouri. In order to determine the applicant's suitability for a certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement, the applicant shall be fingerprinted. The sheriff shall request a criminal background check through the appropriate law enforcement agency within three working days after submission of the properly completed application for a certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement. If no disqualifying record is identified by the fingerprint check at the state level, the fingerprints shall be forwarded to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for a national criminal history record check. Upon receipt of the completed background check, the sheriff shall issue a certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement within three working days. The sheriff shall issue the certificate within forty-five calendar days if the criminal background check has not been received, provided that the sheriff shall revoke any such certificate and endorsement within twenty-four hours of receipt of any background check that results in a disqualifying record, and shall notify the department of revenue.

So yes, while they do have up to 45 days, there is the SHALL issue requirement that they issue within 3 days of recieving the completed federal background check. Now then I do know that there has been slow downs on the state level for background checks as of late (ran into an issue with a state liscensure board and timing about 8 months ago), however I do not believe that there are many cases where its going to take the full 45 days.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Does a FL out of state CCW permit show on the computer screen when you get stopped for a few miles over the limit? MO does.

It may not be on the upper RH corner of my current license - I bought the cheaper non-driver's license extra - but it's probably saved me three tickets I deserved. It didn't hurt to have both hands on the wheel, the license in hand, and say "Sir" to that nice very young man frequently. It was an honest stop.

I decided to "render unto Caesar." If you aren't licensed by MO you aren't part of the problem, but getting one doesn't mean you sold out to the man. If it takes 45 days, encourage others to get theirs, too, regardless. What's better, 10,000 permit carriers in the county, where politicians on both sides can easily see what's up - or chafing under the man, because they still think they have their thumb on you?

It's not the nailhead sticking up that gets pounded down so quick, it's the one pointing up. 10,000 nails point up don't get messed with much at all. People just don't go there, it's too much trouble, like a coyote in the bull pen. They'd rather run down a lamb.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#32]
I was told it was to make sure nothing came up Internationaly on any charges...It makes sence...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Kinda of playing devil's advocate here....Why does it matter if it takes that long? You have went your whole life without one so what is the hurry. With that being said my CCW took 24 days in St. Charles county.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Kinda of playing devil's advocate here....Why does it matter if it takes that long? You have went your whole life without one so what is the hurry. With that being said my CCW took 24 days in St. Charles county.

It's more a matter of principal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Cass county gave me mine 3 days after I turned in the paperwork.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
PWhen you travel out of state, some of those states do not accept non-resident CCW permits as being valid.
(Yea, we all know it's unconstitutional bullshit, but until the voters fire those idiots making it so... it is what it is.)

So that means a MO resident carrying on a concealed permit issued from Florida, is gonna fork out money and/or do jail time if caught doing such in a state that has made laws against it.

this is why I got a mo permit.  Ks is one of the states that only honor in state permits and I work in ks

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I am originally from MO but I live in NY (not City, but Albany the capital)

You think 45 days is a bad thing, try 6 months. And that is 6 months with judges who deny just about everyone who goes up in front of them. The process is deliberately obstructionist and they try to make you give up.

I will be coming back to MO to visit my family over the holidays, I will be bringing my NY permit, but I would think it would be nice to have the MO one just for fun lol.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am originally from MO but I live in NY (not City, but Albany the capital)

You think 45 days is a bad thing, try 6 months. And that is 6 months with judges who deny just about everyone who goes up in front of them. The process is deliberately obstructionist and they try to make you give up.

I will be coming back to MO to visit my family over the holidays, I will be bringing my NY permit, but I would think it would be nice to have the MO one just for fun lol.

Buy a small shack here, stay a few weeks out of the year (MO Residency requirements are a joke) and get one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top