Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2010 10:22:12 AM EDT
Just got a new in crate millitary canvas tent and while it dont need anything now, but once i use it what is to be done with these to make them last a life time? Is there anything i have to put on these to keep them waterproof and such?
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Eventually you will have to "Oil" them typically a beeswax product is sprayed on them.
BUT a friend of mine discovered that Thompson's Waterseal works great!

If it gets pretty wet, set it up on a summer day and let it dry out, then spray it with Thompson's....
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 to what AFSOC said.  We used to use Thompsons on our heavy canvas wall tents in the Boy Scouts and it works VERY VERY well.  As an added bonus its affordable too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
So hit it with a brush and thompsons waterseal?????? Whod a thunk it. Just a mild coat i geuss, then doesnt the thing smell funny after that? Thats gonna require as much seal as my deck. Any other tips or advice you can give for these things? Its a 18"x18" with liner, air vents, wood stove and dual doors.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Armorall the Rubber (keep it dressed as it does dry out and Rot)
Mildew is your enemy, keep it as dry as you can.
Use the Thompson's and a Hudson Sprayer...

I will talk to Allan and see how much he uses.
What size tent is it? GP Small Sort of hex shaped? Medium rectangular in floor plan? Large (Circus Tent with no ridge pole)....
Do you have a liner with it? Really helps in the extreme temps... We used them with One Shepherd, Ours are Vinyl, and have the ports for AC and Stack Holes for the stoves... Sportsman's guide has the stoves usually.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I use Canvak on my GP Medium.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just got a note from Allan and this is his response too.

Use Canvak, you get it from Cabelas.  I apply it with a pump sprayer,
it took about 4 gallons to do the GP medium.   This stuff is ORDERS OF
MAGNITUDE better than anything else I have ever seen.  It even makes the material look nicer.

Last I knew he used Thompson's...
Canvak
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Its a Arctic ten man tent, has the liner in it as well. Yeah, if you would, find out what you can for me. Thanks!

: well, you posted at the same time as i did, i will try that stuff, do you know if he uses it every time it goes out, every time it gets wet only or once a yr even if not used or what? Thanks again
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Where do you find Canadians around here?    
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Its a Arctic ten man tent, has the liner in it as well. Yeah, if you would, find out what you can for me. Thanks!

: well, you posted at the same time as i did, i will try that stuff, do you know if he uses it every time it goes out, every time it gets wet only or once a yr even if not used or what? Thanks again

I sent him another note will post his response when I get it.
He has done this sort of thing a lot more than I.
I defer to him as my expert.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you find Canadians around here?    

LOL!  Thats Canvak, not Canuck!  Works well, I put it on mine once a year unless it starts to soak up water prior to that.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Well hopefully this lasts a long while, its our knob creek tent, and they arent cheap. But the wife is tired of layin in a tent that leaks or blows away in the storms down there, and im tired of buyin  a new tent every yr and never having enough room for all 5 of us (Or 6 of us like this yr when Blitz308 came with us). We had 3 queen size mattresses in this one, our gear, clothes, stuff we bought and still had room for another queen mattress and etc.Hopefully this one lasts us, if i have to spray it every yr, so be it. I love this tent.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 2:12:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Allan says he has only ever treated his tentage one time, and it holds up VERY well, setup the tent, clean any dirt off of it and allow it to completely dry.

Then spray with the CANVAK and allow to completely dry of that too. then fold an put it in it's diaper, make sure any time it is used and it gets wet to completely dry it before storage!
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#14]
It will last you a good long time if you keep it clean, sealed and put it away dry.  I love those canvas wall tents.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like i will need several gallons from what i seen on reveiws, but it works. Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top