Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2010 6:57:18 PM EDT
Hi There,
So I finally bought a house in SW MO and I'll be home in April - May for a visit. Have a few questions...

Long guns, does MO have a 24 hr waiting period on long guns like Illinois or is instant background check - cash and carry?
Is there a residency time period for buying long guns? Like you need to be an MO resident for 6 months before you can buy a rifle?

I'm looking to buy a M1A as soon as I get home.  

Can I open carry a handgun on my 10acres w/o a CCW permit?  

How long does it take to get a CCW permit on average? I'd like to get a class in while I'm home and get that process started.
I understand you take a class, then apply at the local license office, and then they send you something in the mail.
From there you go back and get a State ID with the CCW notation added to it.

Is there any time limits between each of those steps?

Sorry for questions.

Dan
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no waiting period on long guns OR handguns.  Backround check, cash, carry.  

As far as I know you only have to be a resident and show a valid state ID, no waiting period but somebody else can confirm that.  

You can open carry and I believe CCW on your own property as well so long as it is your property.  Also as long as you are 21 years of age you can CCW in your vehicle as well, just don't get out of the vehicle with the firearm on you concealed until you get the permit.

CCW can take up to 52 days total for an answer, you have 7 days after you take the class to get your initial background check started with the local counties office.  After that they must have an answer back to you within 45 days.  Most places are much sooner, Warren County was 7 days and St. Charles County was 28 days for them to back with a yes.  

Correct me on anything that is incorrect as I could have some cobwebs.  Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome what part of the state? Will help with instructors and gun shop locations :)
www.missouricarry.com  can help with legal question
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#3]
No waiting period on longguns or pistols here in Missouri.  Open carry is OK unless you live in a city that has an ordinance against it, on your property your fine.  A concealed carry can take up to 45 dadys to get, at 45 days the sherriff of the county has to issue you a permit if your background check isn't back yet.  He can and will revoke it if it comes back bad.  I have seen some counties getting there reisdents checks done in as little as 7 days!!!  After you receive the certificate from your county sherriff you have 7 days to get to the lic bureau and get your card.  No need for a permit for car carry in Missouri either.  I highly recoimend you join www.missouricarry.com  those guys have far more knowledge than I of missouri's gunlaws.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe you have to be a "resident" of MO for 6 months before you can get a CCW license as well.  

Get your DL switched as soon as you get here to start the clock ticking.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Welcome what part of the state? Will help with instructors and gun shop locations :)
www.missouricarry.com  can help with legal question

Theodosia –– east of Branson and Springfield.

Thinking it's going to be awhile before I can get a ccw.
Will be home for 3 weeks in April but doubt that will be enough time get the license if there is a time limit between getting the approval and getting it turned into a license.

Gun shops, ranges, and instructor info would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I believe you have to be a "resident" of MO for 6 months before you can get a CCW license as well.  

Will get that going right away.

Another question are there any hunting season still open around april 25 through may?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No waiting period on longguns or pistols here in Missouri.  Open carry is OK unless you live in a city that has an ordinance against it, on your property your fine.  A concealed carry can take up to 45 dadys to get, at 45 days the sherriff of the county has to issue you a permit if your background check isn't back yet.  He can and will revoke it if it comes back bad.  I have seen some counties getting there reisdents checks done in as little as 7 days!!!  After you receive the certificate from your county sherriff you have 7 days to get to the lic bureau and get your card.  No need for a permit for car carry in Missouri either.  I highly recoimend you join www.missouricarry.com  those guys have far more knowledge than I of missouri's gunlaws.

Is open carry on the street legal in MO?

I'm out in the country so not too concerned about it.

Sorry for the multiple posts, I can only get on to post at night time here in Iraq.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#8]
You do have to be a resident of 6 months before you can get your CCW (at least you did when I moved here in 2004).  You can open carry in quite a few places, someone on the board made a map or alist of place you can open carry.  Also I think missouri carry has a list of cities that it is legal in as well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#9]
You establish residency to qualify for a CCW when you get your DL changed to a MO license and your present address is shown on it. The 6 month residency was done away with by the legislature in 2008 or 2009 can't remember which.  Also you can take the class qualifying you for the CCW endorsement now as it never expires and you do not have to apply for the CCW within any time limit after taking the class.

This might help to answer and or clairfy any questions you have.

http://www.moga.missouri.gov/statutes/c571.htm

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to ask an obvious question...

Do you by chance already have a ccw from another state?  If so, and they issue to non residents, then you are good to go since Missouri recognizes permits from any other state.  Even if you don't, you can get one from Florida or Utah in much less time than it would take for you to be a Missouri resident for 6 months.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]
open carry is legal in MO, but cities can regulate it as they please. there is legislation in the house that hopefully passes that will negate that. also, spring turkey season will be going from April 19-May 9, just don't use the M1 one 'em.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The 6 month residency was done away with by the legislature in 2008 or 2009 can't remember which.

Interesting.  I just renewed, and the application still had the "have been a resident for 6 months" wording on it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#13]
They must be using old applications. Check out RSMO 571.101 in the URL I gave above. It says has assumed residency, says nothing about the 6 months requirement anymore.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#14]
deleted
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys I have a valid foid card from IL, doubt that will do anything for me though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They must be using old applications. Check out RSMO 571.101 in the URL I gave above. It says has assumed residency, says nothing about the 6 months requirement anymore.

If all you have to do is "assume residency", a utility bill should suffice.

eta: when you go to switch your DL, you will need to bring proof of citizenship and a couple of other things.  I think they want a citified copy of a birth certificate and a social security card or passport.  They also want proof of residence, so you will need a utility bill or something similar anyway.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not anymore, pretty sure that changed last legislative session.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks guys I have a valid foid card from IL, doubt that will do anything for me though.

You could use it as a target......

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Burn it and forget about living in the commie state where it was required

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:44:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Burn it and forget about living in the commie state where it was required

I agree!!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Welcome, and thanks fer your service!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
open carry is legal in MO, but cities can regulate it as they please. there is legislation in the house that hopefully passes that will negate that. also, spring turkey season will be going from April 19-May 9, just don't use the M1 one 'em.

Also, If you plan to hunt, you were born on or after January 1, 1967, you will need to take and pass a hunter education course before you can buy a permit.  Don't sweat it, it's easy.  More info: http://mdc.mo.gov/hunt/huntered/

Missouri Dept. of Conservation website

WELCOME TO MISSOURI !

Keep your head down and stay safe in the sandbox!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#23]
To clear up a few inconsistencies:

A. 6 month Residence requirement was done away with revisions that went into effect Aug 28, 2008.

B. If you will be stationed in Missouri you can use your Military ID to establish residency.

From RSMo 571-101 " 2. A certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to subsection 7 of this section shall be issued by the sheriff or his or her designee of the county or city in which the applicant resides, if the applicant:

(1) Is at least twenty-three years of age, is a citizen of the United States and either:

(a) Has assumed residency in this state; or

(b) Is a member of the armed forces stationed in Missouri, or the spouse of such member of the military; "

C. There is no time limit on your training certificate.

D. Once training is completed and you have time to make an appointment with your local sheriff you take your ID along with a copy of your training certificate and the method of payment the sheriff expects (up to $100.00). The maximum the sheriff can take is 45 days. If they have not heard anything adverse within the 45 day period, they must issue the certificate of qualification. Some counties are taking 7 days or less, some more.

E. Once the certificate of qualification is issued by the sheriff, you have 7 days to take the certificate to the local DOR office and have the endorsement placed on your Missouri Drivers License or Non-DL. The endorsement is good for 3 years.

God Bless and may you return home safe and sound.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks men, I'm a contractor over here and sit at a desk all day. Pretty boring except for the ocassional incoming. Sounded like a war on the Iraqi election day with something exploding every minute in Baghdad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top