Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2009 5:22:38 PM EDT
I have a RRA lower and CMMG 22 upper that the back takedown pin is super tight on.  It's hard to get it pin in, and to take it down, I have to punch the pin through.  I tried another upper (cmmg 5.56) and it was even harder than the 22 upper.  Is it a problem with the pins or the uppers or ?  I'm trying to figure this one out and could use some help.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's brand new it will be pretty hard for the first 20 times or so before it limbers up. On  a new build sometimes I think I did something wrong and have to double-check to make sure before I force the issue. It should get better if that's the problem, unless I'm mis-understanding you
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
It's all new.  I guess I was just too used to the military issue stuff where it's all been done before I ever thought about joining.  I'll just throw some lube on there and see where she goes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#3]
When you use uppers from one manufacturer, and lowers from another, you are going to have tolerance differences that will equate to loose fit or tight fit.  That is why the accu-wedge was designed for the loose ones. get a 1/4" chucking reamer and run it through the holes.  Most times it only off by a couple of thousandths.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a 1/4" round file and run it through the attached upper and lower until I get the fit I like.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Double tap...
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 4:33:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I have heard that RRA lowers are super tight.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 5:10:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the tips, I'm going to go get a file this morning and try that out.  Also I meant to say I put the upper on my uncle's CMMG lower––not his upper––and it was tighter.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 5:49:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:09:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had problems with RRA lowers not fitting correctly (TOO Tight!) Thats why I ONLY use CMMG now!

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:21:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok, let me think out loud for a second and end my own confusion.

I have a RRA lower and 22 CMMG upper tight in the rear pin.  My Uncle got a CMMG Bargain Bin Rifle.  
.22 CMMG Upper on my RRA lower is tight.  
.22 CMMG Upper on his CMMG lower is tight.
His CMMG Upper on his CMMG lower is fine.
His CMMG Upper on my RRA lower is snug, but still able to break down by hand.

And I THINK my Bravo upper on my RRA is fine...but I only put it on there once and will have to recheck.  This is the sucky part about keeping all this stuff at my folks house since I live in a condo.

So should I ream it out, or get a hold of CMMG?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I just put together a truck gun and had the same issue with my RRA upper and RRA lower.  come to find out the adjustable stock was worn (at the buffer stop) and was threaded to far into the lower to allow the upper to fit correctly.  A little dremel time on the end of the buffer tube fixed the issue....

just a thought.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I ended up reaming out both hole a bit and they come out pretty easy now, but still hold solid.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#13]
RRA lowers are habitually tight.  Use a rubber mallet or a hammer and a block of wood and beat the two together a couple of times until it loosens up.  I like a good tight fit anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top