Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 9:40:05 AM EDT
I am thinking about getting a motorcycle. For all intents and purposes I'm a NOOB. I have rode, but it's been a few years. As much as I want a Harley, I cannot(and will not) justify the cost. SO, here are my questions:

- Since I am relatively new, should I lay up, and buy a 750cc. the plan is to start with a Jap cruiser, and move into a Harley, that way , if it doesn't work out, I'm not gonna be broke over it.
- Also part of the plan is, get proficient in riding, then let my wife have said bike, when I buy a Harley(Later).
- I have been pricing out the 750cc's and up, but CI wise, a 900cc is equivalent to 54CI, which seems rather anemic. I will ride with others(all Harleys) and I want to be able to keep up(or beat em)
- This is a strict matter of opinion, but which Jap cruiser is best? I really like the Vulcans, but I am looking for reliability, and of course...Stamina.

The Harley argument is out. I have 3 kids that have prority, so i am on a Budget, plus, I live in the country, and may find that it sucks, and sell out, Now the Down side is, I'm not getting any younger(or richer it appears) So i am liquidating a few select guns(or trading) SO, if anyone herhas a bike they want to get rid of...PM me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I will ride with others(all Harleys) and I want to be able to keep up(or beat em)

Ridin with Harley guys is not a keep up or beat in our group
Yes, some of them are beefed up but comparing speed and ridin distance with jap bikes and harleys are 2 complete different views
most Harleys are a heavier bike for highway riding unless you stay with Dyna's and them they make a good street anf road bike

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Normally a "beat em" isn't an issue, but I know it will happen sooner or later(alpha male syndrome runs rampant w/ my friends and I )

You bring up another point, i am looking for hiway comfort. i don't live in or near the city, so this will be for interstates, and backroads. Need a bike that can handle these roads.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Alot will also depend on if you will have a passenger or not and the comfort of that passenger

Passenger makes alot of difference on how much you get to go ridin and if you want company or not
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Passenger will be with me at least half the time(i'd guess)
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#5]
eeke makes some damn good points! He's the asshole who talked me into my Harley. I made the mistake of buying a Honda 750 Shadow Aero for the wife (now my son rides it) It has been a complete POS! It has broke down at least five times! Plus when he rides with the HOG group he can't keep up when we hit I-29 to go on a ride. It takes him as least a mile to catch up. Even though his bike is lighter, the power to weight ratio sucks!

When you ride a passenger it gets MUCH WORSE! MY stock Harley Deuce (1450 cc, 88 cu. in.)is some what under powered with a passenger.

I understand the finance thing BUT, when I purchased my scoot money was (IS) tight.

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
If it was up to me I'd have a Roadking, but since I am in-experienced I want to start cheaper. I deally I'd like to have a 1200-1800cc bike, but again, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't ask me, I have only had my license for about 25 years and ride a puny KLR650 to work all year 'round. (Yes, that includes snow)
But if I did have something to say it would be get a mid size (hell, I am one of those oldtimers who think a 250 is plenty to start with) easy to handle bike that you like. Important thing is to get something you enjoy riding. If you don't you won't ride and that kinda defeats the entire purpose.
As for size, too much power can be worse that too little. I have seen more people get hurt due to too much power than too little. Another question is how do you want to ride? Weekend cruising? Commuting? Touring? Racing? etc. You might try asking in the cars and bikes forum, a lot of knowledgible (and some not so knowledgible) folk there but be forewarned, you will see the term SV650 mentioned quite a bit.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Gary, will do. I never venture to GD, didn't know there was a motopickle forum there.

What is a sv650?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Click on "General" the scroll down until you see "Cars and Bikes"
Or you might be able to just click here http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=134
More info that you will ever want to know or even care about...
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#10]
mydogsnameisruger,  you have seen my bike in person. I thought that the original Honda Valkyrie was a great deal on a cruiser platform using a 1520cc Goldwing motor. I found a 1998 in Hutchinson, KS in 2006 with 13,000 miles for $8500 but it did need tires. This is actually a dealer picture I downloaded and saved. I have changed the seats, added a luggage rack, clock, and a deer whistle since then.

It has been a great bike. I change my own oil and spark plugs. As far as keeping up with Harleys, I ripped my friends Harley so bad he went out looking for a bike to return the favor. He found a three cylinder 2300cc Triumph that the dealer said would do the job. The dealer also said the the Valkyrie is a hard ride to beat when my friend complained about his back injury. I like the big, fast, quiet, smooth riding Valkyrie.

ETA: If you are in to V-Twins, you might want to look at the Yamaha's V-Star series. Link to Star Motorcycles
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#11]
BK, I will have to say your bike has to be one of the best looking I have seen.  It is part of the reason I am looking at a metric ride. IMO they have beat Harley at their own game, in some ways.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Sadly, the Valkyrie did not sell well as Americans prefer loud, shakey V-Twins. You might want to look into the Yamaha Royal Star (Link in my above post). I saw a used one last year in Joplin for cheap; four cylinder and had electric cruise control. It was a darn nice bike.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sadly, the Valkyrie did not sell well as Americans prefer loud, shakey V-Twins.

Shakey is GOOD when you have a chick riding "bitch"!

"Shakey +++"

PursuitSS

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sadly, the Valkyrie did not sell well as Americans prefer loud, shakey V-Twins.

Shakey is GOOD when you have a chick riding "bitch"!

"Shakey +++"

PursuitSS

I can agree to that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Double tap...
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Harley Dyna series are good all around bikes –– can be had in the 12 - 14 k range

Yes, definately get something that is confortable for you and both of you

I have a 2003 Harley Low Rider with a 95 ci kit, cams, Mikuni carb ported heads and a few other things
It will not outrun a crotch rocket but definately has plenty power with 2 of us rifin on the highway and into the mountains
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a 2003 VROD (100 yr ann.) I'd love to get rid of and they are going REALLY cheap these days. I'd make you a fair deal.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:41:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
mydogsnameisruger,  you have seen my bike in person. I thought that the original Honda Valkyrie was a great deal on a cruiser platform using a 1520cc Goldwing motor. I found a 1998 in Hutchinson, KS in 2006 with 13,000 miles for $8500 but it did need tires. This is actually a dealer picture I downloaded and saved. I have changed the seats, added a luggage rack, clock, and a deer whistle since then.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa295/kjacks01/Val.jpg

It has been a great bike. I change my own oil and spark plugs. As far as keeping up with Harleys, I ripped my friends Harley so bad he went out looking for a bike to return the favor. He found a three cylinder 2300cc Triumph that the dealer said would do the job. The dealer also said the the Valkyrie is a hard ride to beat when my friend complained about his back injury. I like the big, fast, quiet, smooth riding Valkyrie.

ETA: If you are in to V-Twins, you might want to look at the Yamaha's V-Star series. Link to Star Motorcycles

That Valk is one sweet ride and  with a set of pipes has a  different sound for sure .

ive ridden all my life as well as a kid i use to drag race the H1 & H2's  Widow makers .

back in 06 along with my age i almost was taken out and i didnt want to go that way so i sold both of my rides and i thought my riding days was over , it lasted one season with no bike to be in the wind .
so i got on Ebay and did a 200 mile search and found a 1982 Goldwing for 2K no one else even bid on it
so i won it and had to go to Iowa to pick it up , it's been the best 2K i ever spent that old wing meets all of my needs for a bike at this time , it's paid for , has radio,cass ,cb , air ride , radar detector , and gets 47 mpg . the bike had 34K on it when i got it and it has 42K on it now and has been 2 trips to NW Arkansas
and i ride it 92 miles a day back and forth to work ,, so i would tell you to ck out a old wing as they can be had pretty cheap to get in the wind . if you get a bike and if your not sure take a safety course it helps out alot for new riders , good informaition to know and pass on to others .
ride safe .

TS2

road trip in Arkansas

i had a lot of time in building this one

Honda VTX 1300
this bike has plenty of pwr for 2 up  hiway riding .

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:00:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Bikes are a funny thing. You will buy one and almost immediately want to upgrade once you get out on the road with others. There are lots of good used bikes out there for sale. I see them all the time on craigslist and things like that. I know someone that has a very nice Road Glide for sale at a very good price. I've owned everything from Honda's to Benelli's and everything in between. One thing I would recommend is taking the Motorcycle Safety Course. I had been riding over 30 years before I took the course and I have to admit. I learned A LOT!!!  Also, many dealers offer rental bikes. Rent several and find out what you like the best.

Hope to see you on the road soon

Bubba

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:04:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice Street Glide. Looks good. I am looking into the safety course, as I'm no good to my family, if I'm not here.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:29:46 AM EDT
[#21]
My buddy has a Harley Sportster 1200 for sale I think 2004 or 2005 with 1k miles on it for $6500.  Nice bike, new exhaust.  He's in Kansas City.  I can put you in touch if interested.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:52:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My buddy has a Harley Sportster 1200 for sale I think 2004 or 2005 with 1k miles on it for $6500.  Nice bike, new exhaust.  He's in Kansas City.  I can put you in touch if interested.

Wish I had the extra cash. I'm looking to trade guns.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:07:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:06:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Riders Course at Maple Woods Community College to get my motorcycle endorsement about ten years ago.

Link to MWCC Basic Riders Course

I highly recommend these courses too.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:26:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Any 650-900cc bike should do just fine. It all depends on what type of riding you will be doing. I have a Suzuki S40 (650cc single) and also a Suzuki Burgman 650 (scooter) and I don't have any problems keeping up with the bigger bikes. I won't keep up with others at speeds above 85mph on the S40 but no problems keeping up at any speed with the Burgman. I have rode 2 up on the S40 (combined weight of me and passenger around 300lbs) and am able to keep up when riding 70-75mph. Go to the dealers and look at all the different makes/models and talk to other riders to find what bike fits you and your needs. As a beginner, get a bike that fits you, I see too many people riding bikes that are too big for them and that is more unsafe than riding a small bike.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Riders Course at Maple Woods Community College to get my motorcycle endorsement about ten years ago.

Link to MWCC Basic Riders Course

I highly recommend these courses too.

I also recommend these courses.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:24:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, I picked up a 2003 Suzuki Marauder 800, last night. It set me back $3000, but from what I can tell, it will offer me everything I need. It has upgraded seat, Cobra pipes(loudest Metric Bike I have heard), lot's o' Chrome.Custom paint, debaged, 8700 miles.  the Bike really looks like a Harley cross. Very nice looking bike, now all I need to do is, ride it!.
Only thing I need to do is:
- Add a backrest for wife(The guy I bought it from has many bikes, says this one is very capable of 2 person rides)
- Look at forward controls
- Crash bars
- Windscreen
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:10:05 AM EDT
[#28]
No pics????
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:27:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Bike thread??

2007 CBR 600RR
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:38:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
No pics????

not yet. Bike was dropped off at 10:00 last night. Still needs rode more than 5 minutes, and cleaned.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:04:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well, I picked up a 2003 Suzuki Marauder 800, last night. It set me back $3000, but from what I can tell, it will offer me everything I need. It has upgraded seat, Cobra pipes(loudest Metric Bike I have heard), lot's o' Chrome.Custom paint, debaged, 8700 miles.  the Bike really looks like a Harley cross. Very nice looking bike, now all I need to do is, ride it!.
Only thing I need to do is:
- Add a backrest for wife(The guy I bought it from has many bikes, says this one is very capable of 2 person rides)
- Look at forward controls
- Crash bars
- Windscreen

You bought a 2003 Suzuki Marauder 800? That is the most useless motorcycle ever made....without pictures!!!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:21:47 AM EDT
[#32]
You will be happy with the Suzuki 800. I have the Savage/S40 and it will ride 2 up without any problems so the 800 will do fine. Now go take the safety course. Ride safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top