Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2009 11:45:38 AM EDT
We are visiting KC (work related) and have read about KC BBQ, what BBQ restaurant(s) should we check out while in town.

Anything else we should see while in the area, will be there for business & am going to try and stretch it out for a long weekend if there is anything worth seeing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Gates BBQ on old 40 hwy.  Arthur Bryants Downtown, or Zarda's in Blue Springs
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 to Gates and Bryants BBQ. (ask for scraps and fries at Bryants before you go.  Use to be about $3.  Makes a nice snack for later)

Zarda's, IMHO sucks.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Oklahoma Joe's original location at 47th & Mission Rd.  None finer.  

HUGE +1 Outstanding ribs!

PursuitSS

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Oklahoma Joe's original location at 47th & Mission Rd.  None finer.  

The Liberty Memorial WW1 museum is ALWAYS worth seeing.  

+1
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#6]
This question is like the 9mm vs. 45acp question, it can never be answered and will go on forever

here's my bbq opinion:

straight-up no frills, Oklahoma Joes

nice sit-down, Jack Stack in the freight house (before or after a trip to the ww1 museum)

Arthur Bryant & Gates are a lot of hype, decent bbq, but lots of hype.  And Gate's comes with complimentary verbal assault and almost guarantee of a screwed up order.  

PTK
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#7]
If you eat at Bryant's make sure you eat it there. It "seems" everytime we get it to go, there is less food.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Oklahoma Joes and Jack's Shack Bar-B-Q is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Also, if you eat Oklahoma Joes go to the one that is in the Gas Station, not the nicer/newer one in Kansas, It's just not the same.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also, if you eat Oklahoma Joes go to the one that is in the Gas Station, not the nicer/newer one in Kansas, It's just not the same.

Please elaborate! I've only been to the one at 119th & Strang Line. I LOVE the ribs! Jack Stack & Smokehouse have MUCH better baked beans but the best ribs are at Oklahoma Joe's!

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Jess and Jim's in Martin City, MO is really good too. Gates is great as well. Can't beat KC BBQ.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Jess and Jim's in Martin City, MO is really good too. Gates is great as well. Can't beat KC BBQ.

It's been at least ten years since I've been to Jess & Jim's but when I was there it was a Steakhouse not a BBQ Joint.

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please elaborate! I've only been to the one at 119th & Strang Line. I LOVE the ribs! Jack Stack & Smokehouse have MUCH better baked beans but the best ribs are at Oklahoma Joe's!

PursuitSS
The Original store is almost always the best one, just like Lamar's Donuts in Midtown KC.  

No offense, but Lamar's SUCKS! They tried two stores in St. Joseph. Unfortunately for them we have a donut shop known as Gold-N-Glaze that has been here over fifty years and Lamar's went under.

Trust me, I'm a Cop (Donut Expert Emeritus)

PursuitSS

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:51:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:30:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And Gate's comes with complimentary verbal assault and almost guarantee of a screwed up order.  

PTK

Tis true
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:33:44 AM EDT
[#17]
You also might try LC's,  it is a dive, but the food is not bad at all.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks! will for sure check out the WW1 museum along with Oklahoma Joes

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:09:53 AM EDT
[#19]
You a cop in St Joe SS?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You a cop in St Joe SS?

I was one of my "gigs" for four years. One of my two times as a Reserve (St. Joseph "killed" the Reserve program in 2003) I've never worked full time as an Officer (doesn't pay the bills).

I've been (in no particular order)

Reserve Deputy
Reserve Officer
Asst. Chief of Police
Chief of Police

PursuitSS

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#21]
It's a bit of a drive but it is excellent smoked food, the Wabash in Excelsior Springs. They are in the old Wabash Depot, Saturday nights is a huge outdoor party, they have their own Smokehouse(really, and old "house" of some type) And their food is incredible.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been at least ten years since I've been to Jess & Jim's but when I was there it was a Steakhouse not a BBQ Joint.

PursuitSS

It's still mostly a steakhouse but they offer a lot of BBQ meals that are very good. Lee's Summit BBQ in Lee's Summit, MO is also very good. More casual and family based but it still provides great food and catering services.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Bryants dude
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#24]
the only sandwich you NEED to eat while in town is the Z-Mann at Oklahoma Joe's........even thinking about it makes me hungry!

Jack Stack is ok, gates is ok if you like getting someone else's order after being yelled at for not ordering it, arthur bryants is ok as well...........

.........a small place inside a train station about 30-40 minutes northeast of KC called Wabash BBQ is really good, and in my small town away from crime and bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:03:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Wabash has the best burnt ends I have ever eaten.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:34:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wabash has the best burnt ends I have ever eaten.

I live about 5 min from there..........I used to be skinny until they opened, and now I weigh 265 pounds. Dont want to blame it all on them, but between burnt ends, ribs, tenderloin sandwiches,.......it just doesnt help much! lol
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:40:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And Gate's comes with complimentary verbal assault and almost guarantee of a screwed up order.  

PTK

Tis true

Gate's is a hell of a place to take Japanese exchange students It was like throwing baby kittens in front of rabid pitbulls
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top