Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2009 4:23:47 PM EDT
I was just fortunate enough to have a local member lend me his stock wrench so I could mount my new PRS stock on my 20" LaRue rifle.

Well, the stock showed up today and to my surprise it doesnt include the rifle length receiver extension. So now I cant shoot tomorrw.

I was wondering if anybody local to Warrenton has a rifle length extension they would sell or trade. I have some Federal 210M's and 205M's and would be willing to give someone a few for it. Just needing to get going tonight.   Anybody?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
What is a receiver extension?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What is a receiver extension?

buffer tube
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Never mind.  Sorry.  Good luck.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#4]
HAHA just so happens I have one of these as well.  I am not sure it will fit your stock though, the one I have was for an A2 stock, measures 10 1/4 inches tip to tip.  Your stock looked shorter than the buffer tube I have so I am not sure.   It requires an end cap screw to set the stock in place that would be located on the butt end of your stock.  If you have a hole there this one would probably work.  I have the entire buffer assembly BUT I do not have THIS part or the lock ring.  The one I have also uses an A2 spacer in the buttplate that the mounting screw goes through and screws into the extension tube.  Let me know.

Brett
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, I didnt expect this stock to be such a project.

Can anyone tell me exactly what is needed to mount a new magpul PRS to a Larue Lower?

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#6]
If this is your stock:

Link to Precision-Adjustable Buttstock – AR15/M16

I would say you need a standard A1/A2 fixed stock buffer tube by the wording on Magpul's web page.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks identical except mine is FDE and has a rubber buttpad

Thanks for the link. Now to find the tube.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#8]
You just need a rifle length buffer tube. I have the older PRS stock and it works fine on that one. Most places are out of stock. Try the EE for a Rifle length buffer tube. Should be able to pick one up for 20$ shipped.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Appears it uses a standard rifle buffer, spring and buffer tube. What did you have on your rifle to begin with? Tubes are the same whether it's for a A1 or 2.

Rick
SGF, Mo.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#10]
The LaRue lower had no stock on it. I have the rifle length spring, just need the tube.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Sent you an email
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If this is your stock:

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/images/PRS.JPG

Link to Precision-Adjustable Buttstock – AR15/M16

I would say you need a standard A1/A2 fixed stock buffer tube by the wording on Magpul's web page.

Kane- I have a question about your picture.

Right at the junction where the stock joins the lower, at the top of the stock, what is it that fills that gap? I cant figure out what fills that gap. I have my rifle buffer tube on the way, but the way I see it, unless I have snother small part, I am going to have a 1/4" gap. Here is a picture of a mock up.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#14]
First AR build huh?  Don't sweat it.

You can see if these guys have what you need in stock.  The A2 receiver extension is at the top of the page, I don't know if you'll need the spacer or not with the PRS, its been awhile since I've hung one on a rifle.

http://www.riflegear.com/c-29-stock-parts.aspx

Without a receiver end plate the stock will be holding your rear assembly pin spring and detent in place, so don't forget to put those items in place before you install the PRS.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Way to go quoting me before I caught my own mistake and amended my post.  Its been so long since I've put anything but a collapsible on an AR that my mind immediately went that route.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok Jeff, to put it into layman terms. And I didn't really see this till Duke said it. On the buffer tube you have threads that go into the lower rxer. Then there is a slight flange that butts up to the rxer. This flang will be flush with the stock in the top quadrant and will fill in the gap.

Max
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
First AR build huh?  Don't sweat it.

You can see if these guys have what you need in stock.  The A2 receiver extension is at the top of the page, I don't know if you'll need the spacer or not with the PRS, its been awhile since I've hung one on a rifle.

http://www.riflegear.com/c-29-stock-parts.aspx

Without a receiver end plate the stock will be holding your rear assembly pin spring and detent in place, so don't forget to put those items in place before you install the PRS.

Yes, in a way I guess it is. I have had about a dozen different AR's over the years, but they were almost all bought complete. I have made a few little odd and end changes, but never changed a stock.

I even bought this rifle complete minus the stock, optics, BUIS etc.. The upper and lower were already put together.

Bottom line, is I now have everything I need. As Max and others pointed out, there is a flange on the buffer tube that fills that gap. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldnt be missing something when I get the tube.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top