Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2009 2:33:11 PM EDT
# 1 .22 pistol

Don't have one, but would like too. Thinking about Browning, Ruger or Advantage Arms kit for my G19. Semiauto is my first choice.

# 2 .22 rifle

Have a Marlin model 60 now and it's ok, but want higher capacity. Thinking 10/22.

# 3 Pocket gun

Don't have one, but would like too. Thinking LCP, Keltec or Kahr. Can't afford the Kahr and # 1 or # 2 at the same time. I'm a terrible saver and I have other wants. I guess I could borrow my Dads .38 S&W, but I don't like the thing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a walther p22 and a ruger mkII, i like them both. the ruger has a 5'' bull barrell and is much more accurate but the p22 came threaded.

I have multiple 10/22's Its a great little gun that you can add parts to untill your in the poorhouse. Walmart has a 22'' version in stainless that i have bought 2 of, its only a few dollars more and the new ones even come with an extended mag release.

I dont have a pocket gun, just the XD40SC that rides in a IWB holster. barley prints at all even in shorts and t-shirt
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
i have a browning buckmark camper..its a great 22 pistol..actually just mounted a little red dot to it.
i have an old marlin lever action 22 rifle with a 3-9 chep scope and it shoots great to.

i have the lcp and I like it. it bucks pretty good when you shoot it. I have big hands and even with the grip ext i'm barley gettin 3 fingers on it.
It rides great in your pocket though. I also have a keltec pf9, which i just got....way more comfortable to shoot and not bad to conceal.

rob what holster is that your using with your XD. I have a 4" xd40 and havent found a IWB holster i like for the XD yet???

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

rob what holster is that your using with your XD. I have a 4" xd40 and havent found a IWB holster i like for the XD yet???

Im using a small left hand glock holster from ace case, they are in st clair here is the web site. ACE Case
It works really well and its simple. It isnt the one you want if your going to be taking it on and off alot though the clip is sprung steel and doesnt like to come off with just one hand.
They also make a really good single point AR sling that sells for like 30 bucks. Its not on the website but he has them every show and you can order them just call.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an XDm9 and I use a crossbreed tuck. I don't even know it's there after it broke in a week. Very nice, IMO. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
#1  I'd go with the advantage arms .22 kit, you'll get more trigger time on your defensive pistol for less $$ (assuming you cary your glock)

#2  10/22 all the way, chevy small block of the .22lr world, an incredible amount of options

#3  I've got a J frame and it carry's wonderfully, I know a lot of people will say you need an auto, but I think the J clears the pocket more easily and its more potent than a .380

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Steve you have good taste in both pistol and holster.

I also have a XD9 but in SC size. Also have a crossbreed and love it. The one I have has the leather that goes all the way up giving me a shield between the rear of the gun and my Dunlop waist. I cant remember the guys name at Crossbreed, but a real nice guy to work with and got the holster in good time. Course this was last Aug.

Max
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Try a small revolver and an auto.  Some people like one better than the other.  I like both.  Poly's S&W is nice and carries nice, I really like my PM9 as well.  Looks like a wallet in my front pocket.  

I love 10/22's and I have a Ruger 22/45 that I love as well.  Threw a cheap Bushell red dot on it and it's a hoot on the plate rack. Very accurate.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:05:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:28:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buy all threeth!!!!  

I would, but I'm a poor gun owner.

Quoted:
#1  I'd go with the advantage arms .22 kit, you'll get more trigger time on your defensive pistol for less $$ (assuming you carry your glock)
#3  I've got a J frame and it carry's wonderfully, I know a lot of people will say you need an auto, but I think the J clears the pocket more easily and its more potent than a .380

I did carry my 26, but the 19 has taken it's place. I've shot my Dads and didn't like it, but I'll try it again to be sure.

Quoted:
Try a small revolver and an auto.  Some people like one better than the other.  I like both.  Poly's S&W is nice and carries nice, I really like my PM9 as well.  Looks like a wallet in my front pocket.  

I love 10/22's and I have a Ruger 22/45 that I love as well.  Threw a cheap Bushell red dot on it and it's a hoot on the plate rack. Very accurate.

I've shot the LCP and it's ok, but the PM9 is what I'd really like to have. I think it'd be more manageable than the Keltec or LCP even though it's a 9mm. Then again, the PM9 is a little out of my range ATM.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts so far.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy all threeth!!!!  

I would, but I'm a poor gun owner.

Quoted:
#1  I'd go with the advantage arms .22 kit, you'll get more trigger time on your defensive pistol for less $$ (assuming you carry your glock)

I did carry my 26, but the 19 has taken it's place. I've shot my Dads and didn't like it, but I'll try it again to be sure.

Quoted:

I've shot the LCP and it's ok, but the PM9 is what I'd really like to have. I think it'd be more manageable than the Keltec or LCP even though it's a 9mm. Then again, the PM9 is a little out of my range ATM.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts so far.

The PM9 is very manageable.  I actually think it's kind of fun to shoot.  The fireball it puts out in low light is pretty cool too.  If you've got a gun you can carry ATM, just start saving for a PM9 now.  Do you live any where in the KC area?  I can meet with you at Crossfire or the indoor range at Pioneer and let you shoot mine as much as you want.  That way you know if you're going to like it or not.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Steve you have good taste in both pistol and holster.

I also have a XD9 but in SC size. Also have a crossbreed and love it. The one I have has the leather that goes all the way up giving me a shield between the rear of the gun and my Dunlop waist. I cant remember the guys name at Crossbreed, but a real nice guy to work with and got the holster in good time. Course this was last Aug.

Max

Yea, the leather on mine does the same. At first I thought I really liked it, then I wasn't sure. I had heard you need to wear them to break them in before they feel " good " . I did so for a week and I was noticing sometimes just how comfortable it was, even for a big gun in it while driving. I got mine in March and it only took 2 weeks from the day I ordered it, and yea, they were super nice people from Republic, Mo.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The PM9 is very manageable.  I actually think it's kind of fun to shoot.  The fireball it puts out in low light is pretty cool too.  If you've got a gun you can carry ATM, just start saving for a PM9 now.  Do you live any where in the KC area?  I can meet with you at Crossfire or the indoor range at Pioneer and let you shoot mine as much as you want.  That way you know if you're going to like it or not.

Thanks for the offer! Maybe the next time the MO HTF get together for a shoot a Crossfire you could bring it if you go.

Well, mark one thing off my list. I picked up a used 10/22 SS carbine w/ a Burris scope today and it looks to have been made in 1992. All in all it's in very nice shape, but it needs a new magazine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im using a small left hand glock holster from ace case, they are in st clair here is the web site. ACE Case
It works really well and its simple. It isnt the one you want if your going to be taking it on and off alot though the clip is sprung steel and doesnt like to come off with just one hand.
They also make a really good single point AR sling that sells for like 30 bucks. Its not on the website but he has them every show and you can order them just call.

Warning!  Personal Opinions ahead!

None of those are holsters, they're open top-ed gun cases with convenient pocket clips.  If you spend $400 something on a pistol spend $60-$80 and get a real holster from the likes of Comp-Tac, Cross Breed, Galco, or blade-tech.   Not knocking Ace for their products, I have a few cases from them and they are great, but they don't make a holster that is suitable for anyting but Internet dirt shooting
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of those are holsters, they're open top-ed gun cases with convenient pocket clips.  If you spend $400 something on a pistol spend $60-$80 and get a real holster from the likes of Comp-Tac, Cross Breed, Galco, or blade-tech.   Not knocking Ace for their products, I have a few cases from them and they are great, but they don't make a holster that is suitable for anyting but Internet dirt shooting

I'm going to have to agree with Poly here.  I've got a holster box that speaks volumes to me.  I tried the Nylon-fitsall holsters and nothing compares to a quality holster.  Even Don Hume's stuff is pretty good for the money.  I have Uncle Mikes Kydex for the range/matches (production class), a Comp-Tac Minotaur for IWB carry and a Don Hume JIT that fits the small framed Glocks (9mm/40S&W/357sig/45gap) that rides nicely with an over shirt or un-tucked T-Shirt.

Get a quality holster made for your side arm.  You will thank us later.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to have to agree with Poly here.  I've got a holster box that speaks volumes to me.  I tried the Nylon-fitsall holsters and nothing compares to a quality holster.  Even Don Hume's stuff is pretty good for the money.  I have Uncle Mikes Kydex for the range/matches (production class), a Comp-Tac Minotaur for IWB carry and a Don Hume JIT that fits the small framed Glocks (9mm/40S&W/357sig/45gap) that rides nicely with an over shirt or un-tucked T-Shirt.

Desantis has some excellent leather holsters, at a very reasonable price.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I havent actually carried it in a holster for very long since i just got my ccw in january and until then it rode in the car all the time,  I looked all over for something that was comfortable and left handed and could find nothing. If you could please put up some links or photos im willing to try others. The one i have been using seems to work well though and conceals well. What should I be looking for?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I havent actually carried it in a holster for very long since i just got my ccw in january and until then it rode in the car all the time,  I looked all over for something that was comfortable and left handed and could find nothing. If you could please put up some links or photos im willing to try others. The one i have been using seems to work well though and conceals well. What should I be looking for?

Hey! How did this become about your holster/gun selection?

I've been using a Royal Guard for my 19 and it's the best on I've bought so far. I'm going to buy a Cross Breed next to see if I like it. Like PTK said, "and get a real holster from the likes of Comp-Tac, Cross Breed, Galco, or blade-tech." Take a look at the options each offers.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey! How did this become about your holster/gun selection?

I've been using a Royal Guard for my 19 and it's the best on I've bought so far. I'm going to buy a Cross Breed next to see if I like it. Like PTK said, "and get a real holster from the likes of Comp-Tac, Cross Breed, Galco, or blade-tech." Take a look at the options each offers.

Let me save both of you some money and keep you from having a box full of holsters that sit un-used.  

MTAC  if you want to go a little cheaper get one of these Spartan  
Crossbreed holsters are similar in form and function, but I like the comp-tac's better because they are more adjustable/ tuneable and better executed overall.  If your chosen pistol has the "slide" option I would recomend getting that, basically its an open bottom holster so it will work with many barrel lengths, I use a slide for my glock 19 and 34.
Belt holsters are a bit of a different story, they seem to be much easier to get right.  I use an uncle mike's kydex a lot, they're $20, great value and not fragile like a fobus or prone to locking up like a serpa (not to mention easy to draw weakhand, try hitting the release with backwards)  I'm also fond of comp-tac's and blade-tech's belt holsters, a DOH is in my future for the USPSA rig.  But belt holsters and ccw holsters do not play well with chest rigs so that leads to drop legs.  Most people I see using drop legs usually have them too low and too loose, not to mention there are some very porly constructed nylon rigs out there.  As far as I'm concerned there are no other drops worth using besides safariland 6004's and their variations. They have the most positive retention, they're kydex so they don't collapse when the pistol is drawn like some nylon holsters do, retention is easy to engage and disengage strong-hand and weak-hand, again try the with the blackchicken serpa
Well thats about it for my "regular guy" opinions of holsters for now..
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, the M-Tac has it all for IWB.  Nice tall leather backing for comfort and keeping the slide off of your skin, kydex outer shell that's REPACEABLE (yup, one holster, all of your pistols), 4 (last time I checked) different belt clip options and it's adjustable for forward, neutral or rear cant and it's tuckable.

I'm a lefty, I'll let you try my M-tac with the PM9 some time if you're intersted.  Many here can vouch for them.  No real need to even "try it out".  Just get on Comp-Tac's website (comptac.com) and order one ASAP.  Their customer service rocks as well.  They always send you a pack or two of smarties (I'm sure the pun is intended) with your order.  I LOVE SMARTIES!  

And for USPSA/range, the DOH rocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top