Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 3:06:07 PM EDT

Opinion editorial -  
from the desk of peter D. Kinder

Lieutenant Governor of Missouri

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                               March 27, 2009

On March 20, reporters broke the astonishing news that a report from the Missouri Department of Public Safety was distributed to law enforcement across our state that depicted Christians, anti-abortionists, advocates for protecting our borders and supporters of certain political candidates as potential “threats” to public safety.

The report was developed by the Missouri Information Analysis Center (MIAC) and was entitled, “The Modern Militia Movement.”

By title alone, the imagination conjures up images of commando renegades on remote outposts in secluded mountainous terrain.  However, while this “Modern Militia” report did touch on such radical ideologies, the groups purported to be “threats” were supporters of such political candidates as Bob Barr and Ron Paul.

There are certainly individual extremists in many religious and political groups (both conservative and liberal), but Gov. Nixon and Director of Public Safety John Britt have created a dangerous precedent of profiling lawful citizens as threats to public safety simply based on their political or religious beliefs.

On Tuesday, Gov. Nixon and Director Britt said they stood by the content of the report, while both said they hadn’t read it.  Then, on Wednesday, Colonel Jim Keathley of the Missouri State Highway Patrol issued a statement saying the review process for future MIAC memos would be changed.

Shame on Gov. Nixon and Director Britt for making a noble public servant and iconic law enforcement leader like my friend Colonel Keathley take the fall for THEIR bureaucratic and political failures.

Colonel Keathley, the men and women of the Missouri State Highway Patrol and law enforcement across this state put their lives on the line each and every day to keep our communities safe.  We should honor these everyday heroes for their sacrifices and never allow them to be used in a political ploy.

By Thursday, as conservatives across this state made their voices heard, Gov. Nixon decided to pass the blame to the previous administration.  This is unacceptable.

I am calling for Gov. Nixon to place Director Britt on administrative leave pending a full investigation and accounting of acts of profiling under his supervision at MIAC.

All Missourians should rest assured that we are protected by the freedoms of our constitution and should never have to fear being monitored by their government based upon a person’s race, place of birth, political beliefs or their spiritual convictions.  Unfortunately, that confidence was shaken by the governor.  Gov. Nixon remains ultimately responsible for his administration.  Gov. Nixon should fully answer and apologize for what has been allowed to occur on his watch.

PETER D. KINDER

Lieutenant Governor of the State of Missouri

(R-Cape Girardeau)

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Kick Ass, I knew there was something I liked about Kinder!  Glad my vote for him wasn't a waste!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 bro, +1
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn Straight.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Bravo!! ...Although I don't live in your state my hat's off to your Lt. Governor for upholding the oath of office he took. Sounds like he understands the meaning of freedom and liberty. Seems Mr. Nixon fits in with Chicago, Illinois politicians. If he keeps it up maybe he can join our previous governors and they can open their own license plate production wing at the state pen......Oops, excuse me, Federal pen...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, I wonder if any newspapers actually printed this or if they cowtowed to the Supreme Allied Commander?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#6]
So when is Nixon going to resign?  

<–– voted for the other guy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#7]
So I am safe to put a DTOM sticker on my car and not be hassled?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top