Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2008 11:14:14 AM EDT
Being in the plumbing bis I do alot of work outside replacing old water lines and most of the old ones are lead. I used to save it for a guy but he has moved far away and the lead just builds piles at my house. If you live close enough to me (wentzville) and would like to HAVE the lead I save speak up now. First responce get it! I have about 30 lbs of it now ready for a nice home.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I will come take it off your hands for you, I live in Wentzville.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
IM sent!
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]
+1!
I do my own casting but since I have a reliable source for lead let one of the others have it.
Now if nobody wants it... let me know...
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been looking into casting, you're a bit far away from me tho.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys are just ahead of your time.  If they do this "ammunition accountability" bullshit, and/or start taxing the shit out of ammo, there will be alot of us looking for alternate methods of stuffing pills into brass casings.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You guys are just ahead of your time.  If they do this "ammunition accountability" bullshit, and/or start taxing the shit out of ammo, there will be alot of us looking for alternate methods of stuffing pills into brass casings.

Damn... Day late and a dollar short again!

Link Posted: 12/22/2008 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone read "Unintended Consequences?"  Remember when he makes bullets out of nylon for shooting people inside airplanes and whatnot?  What about delrin?  What other materials are there out there besides carcinogenic metals that you could make bullets out of?

(ice bullets for the lose)
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#8]
The New Military rounds are going to be made from "Bismuth" which is a lab metal similar in density to lead, shotgunners have been using this on birdies for years.
I understand that Gold and Silver and several other materials make good bullets but are somewhat high dollar...

On the other hand if you learn how to run a lathe properly you can turn projectiles from solid copper!

The NEW military ammo is supposed to be Lead Free, but the Primers still contain a lead chemistry, not Mercury Fulminate anymore but Lead Styphnate. You are far more likely to absorb a dose of Lead from firing a primer fired cartridge in an enclosed space than by casting bullets unless of course you are just stupid. Wear a respirator and gloves when handling molten metals.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anyone read "Unintended Consequences?"  Remember when he makes bullets out of nylon for shooting people inside airplanes and whatnot?  What about delrin?  What other materials are there out there besides carcinogenic metals that you could make bullets out of?

Gluelits....
The fellers at cast boolits have been developing an indoor lightweight bullet made from, get this, hot glue. I can't remember the process but it does use standard bullet molds and the weights are pretty consistent.
First time I read about it I had flashbacks from "Unintended Consequences" go through my head.
Oh, I don't know if they have experimented with it but gas checks are your friend when pushing certain materials too higher velocities.

ETA;
AFSOC, you are right. Smelting lead at normal temperatures does not put any sort of "lead fumes" in the air. As long as you don't chew your nails, swallow bullets or drink molten lead and remember to wash your hands thoroughly after casting your risk level is minute.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gluelits....
The fellers at cast boolits have been developing an indoor lightweight bullet made from, get this, hot glue. I can't remember the process but it does use standard bullet molds and the weights are pretty consistent.
First time I read about it I had flashbacks from "Unintended Consequences" go through my head.
Oh, I don't know if they have experimented with it but gas checks are your friend when pushing certain materials too higher velocities.

ETA;
AFSOC, you are right. Smelting lead at normal temperatures does not put any sort of "lead fumes" in the air. As long as you don't chew your nails, swallow bullets or drink molten lead and remember to wash your hands thoroughly after casting your risk level is minute.

Hmmm got me thinking here, a Glaser Slug is essentially an epoxy resin or Polyester casting resin, with #9 shot in it for mass, release compound on the mould in the form of Silicone Car wax some fast setting epoxy, a bag of shot... Hmmm I say one of us gives it a try, remember this mould cannot be used for casting metal after it is used with the release compound... Devcon Steel with #9 shot? Hmmm Probably suck ballistically though. You would need to use Steel shot to remain lead free or use Bismoth, Hmmm How about Wax? I shoot wax bullets through my fast draw guns powered by nothing more than a 209 shotgun primer will handily punch that little 45 caliber wax projectile right the hell through a piece of half inch plywood....
Accurate out to at least 8 meters (can fast draw and hit an 18" target accurately/ Consistently from that distance). 25 feet or so. Perhaps parafin cast in a lead mould with a gas check, using bismoth shot? Hmmm I used to know an old guy who made shot shells for 45 ACP using a 308 rifle brass cut down and reformed and a .410 shot cup and a cardboard seal disk, they would run in his 1911 like a champ. Semi Auto shot shells in an autoloader! Oh also Delrin can assuredly be cast as it is a two part resin similar to epoxy in its component form I believe. I know it is not injection moulded but more like CAST. but injection moulding is good too. Just have the moulds made and you can cast hundreds at one time. No jackets you would need a gas check though. Hmm cast a dimensionally smaller bullet in the Nylon Sabot... That could get interesting, paper sabots for minor bullets in a major cartridge!
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#12]
(cracks whip) BACK, BACK I SAY!  MY LEAD! (/cracks whip)
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We ain't Skeered! I just ain't gonna drive out there to get it when I have a supply of wheel weights as near as my local walmart parking lot!

Link Posted: 12/23/2008 3:27:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We ain't Skeered! I just ain't gonna drive out there to get it when I have a supply of wheel weights as near as my local walmart parking lot!

Touche' Sir, you have a good point.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:18:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Lol.
I asked a coworker, whos father is an amateur scrap guy, if he had any wheel weights, I'd buy them next time he was bringing a load up.   He didn't have any, but he did bring me a hunk of beatup lead pipe, wrapped in a grocery bag.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:39:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Gallium has better ballistics than ice.  It's 6 times denser than ice, and it melts at 85 deg F  

All the coroner will find is a blob of melted metal w/ no rifling marks.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:57:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bismuth
Tin

Or if you can work with a little higher melting point

Copper/Bronze/Brass or............................

Silver
(Lone Ranger for the Win)

As far as I know, lead is not carcinogenic, but it is a neurotoxin that can also cause reproductive toxicity among other things.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:31:58 AM EDT
[#19]
If I were to start casting my own lead from scrap, I would build a waste oil furnace to save some $$$
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lol.
I asked a coworker, whos father is an amateur scrap guy, if he had any wheel weights, I'd buy them next time he was bringing a load up.   He didn't have any, but he did bring me a hunk of beatup lead pipe, wrapped in a grocery bag.

*opens envelope*
Bano.  In the Forum.  With a lead pipe.

Link Posted: 12/23/2008 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#21]
If anyone needs wheel weights let me know and I will see what I can do.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sign me up! They make good Cowboy bullets!
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take all I can get, and I'll compensate for them; pizza, beer, money, or something.

Sure resort to Bribery! Sheesh!
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#25]
damn I should have tried to get some freaking beer and pizza!
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll get it for ya when I come to get it, what kinda beer do you drink?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top