Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2008 5:15:44 PM EDT
I've owned an assault weapon privately for 10 years and they have never committed a crime.

Yet their lives and freedom could soon be cut short because of the new Prez Elect.

wording said "make the assault weapons ban permanent."

"close the loophole in gun shows"

The first is more important to me, but some may dislike the other as well.

Save the innocent lives of my guns.  They have committed no crimes.  Nor have I with them.

Obama/Biden statement
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Now if someone could just explain to me how they plan to accomplish the huge list of fluff AND cut taxes for 95% of us at the same time???

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]
As much as I hate to say it, I believe that making transfers at gun shows go through a FFL would do a lot to shut up the dumbocrats.  I understand how they call it a loophole, and as much as I disagree with "closing" it, it is a right I would give up to keep them away from mag cap bans, "assault weapon" bans, and handgun bans.

Really, it wouldnt be that hard to have a booth set up for transfers between individuals at a gun show.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm with you.  I really don't care much about the "Gun Show" loophole.

It helps to keeps felons from buying guns.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Sound to me like if you have not already registered here:

2AM

Then you need to.  If you have not heard about this forum, it was started by one us (an ARFCOMer with the key Charging_Handle).

Looks organized and you should consider getting involved, or atleast a member.

FIGHT WEAPON OPPRESSION!!!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...as much as I disagree with "closing" it, it is a right I would give up to keep them away from mag cap bans, "assault weapon" bans, and handgun bans.

Don't fall for that load of crap.  Do you really think "throwing them a bone" so to speak would cause them to back off... or entice them to let us give away more liberties?  Do you really think that would make them back off from the rest of their agenda?  

No - having to go through an FFL to sell a gun at a gun show wouldn't really be that big of a deal.  But that's not the point.  They pretty well figured out they can't take our rights away all at once.  It's just one little "no big deal" thing.  And then another, and another.  Pretty soon, you will look back and it will be a big deal.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I say we only throw one bone to the gun grabbers and its the longest finger on my hand.

"The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion."
Edmund Burke
British Statesman, 1784

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
American Statesman
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I challenge anyone to show me a law, statute, ordinance or regulation that says that the federal rules for conducting firearms transactions don't apply inside the doors of a gun show. There is no such thing as a "gun show loophole."

What the Brady Bunch means by the "loophole" is private transactions between unlicensed individuals. WHat they want to do is pass a law that requires background checks any time an unlicensed person sells a gun to another unlicensed person. THat means if Joe Sixpack is over at Steve Stumpjumpers house and Joe has a .30-30 he wants to unload, the law would require a background check. It doesn't matter that Steve is Joe's brother in law or has known him for 20 years. It's a gun sale, so it must go through the feds. The "gunshow loophole" is just a cover for requiring a background check for all gun sales.

Don't buy into this shit. There is no such thing as a "gunshow loophole."
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#8]
The dems also want to define a Gun Show as simply two people selling a gun between them.  Keep that in mind if you support background checks for individuals at gun shows.  they want it so that any and all gun transfers go through the system.

And, even if they did set up a booth with a hotline to the Feds...can you imagine the wait for it?  And, do you really want to be responsible when the guy you sold your 10/22 to at the show LIED on his 4473, and the NICS didn't catch it....oh shit...that would be fun.  And, yes, there would have to be somekind of form filled out.  Otherwise, what's to stop everyone from saying they are John Doe, SS# 12345678900?  How good are you at detecting false ID's, not to mention detecting motives like straw purchases and such?  It wouldn't solve or prevent jack shit.

And, finally, if there was a booth at the gun shows for background checks....like it would be hard to walk outside and meet elsewhere for the trade.  Unless my first statement comes to pass, which it would if this 'idea' were to go into law...

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:07:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Who's to say they won't try to make all FTF transactions between private parties go through an FFL then?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who's to say they won't try to make all FTF transactions between private parties go through an FFL then?

No one.  I'm definately no a fan of that.
But I think it would be nice if a private individual could have someone of knowing if the person they were selling to was legal to own a weapon or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top