Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 6:00:36 PM EDT
Well maybe not Texas, but it only takes one Texan to solve world hunger...HUNT!

I'll be heading your way on Thursday, July 24th to attend the gun show at KC Expo Center through the 27th.

I'll be at the show during the day (stop by and say 'Howdy'), and free on from 6pm till my bedtime Thursday through Saturday night.

I heard y'all got BBQ...and that it might not be too horrible to give to my dogs, so where's the best place to try some.

I admire a fine brew...any local hops chefs around?

Not interested in the strange things, but a decent brew and food sure does go a long ways.

Tvone.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I heard y'all got BBQ...and that it might not be too horrible to give to my dogs, so where's the best place to try some.

The Kansas City Star made an appropriate observation on KC BBQ restaurants:

Their either good or their GONE!

Oklahoma Joe's
Smoke House
Jack Stack
Haywards
Gates

And quite a few others that are DAMN GOOD!

BTW, as to feeding your dogs, might I suggest Sonny Bryan's!

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
If your looking for a good beer try Boulevard Wheat. Its brewed right here in KCMO. Im not a big drinker, but when I do its always Boulevard. Most gas stations and places like price chopper or hy-vee will have it. I think you can still take a free tour of the brewery and get to taste a bunch of stuff.

The BBQ question is debatable. I went to Arther Bryants not to long ago and it was very good. People all have their own favorite BBQ place, but they are all very good.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

PursuitSS

HA!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If your looking for a good beer try Boulevard Wheat Anything.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#5]

PursuitSS

I don't eat that crap either, and I like my dogs too much.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Kansas City Star made an appropriate observation on KC BBQ restaurants:

Their either good or their GONE!

Oklahoma Joe's
Smoke House
Jack Stack
Haywards

Gates

And quite a few others that are DAMN GOOD!

PursuitSS

Pursuit, I'd have to throw Smoke House out of that list and add Zarda's.  It's not gormet by any means, but it's good BBQ.  Beats the snot out of Smoke House.

I think Smoke House went downhill when the left Blue Springs and Moved to Independence.

Just my opinion though.

All the rest on the list are fantastic.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Haywards

I've never heard any reviews of this, so I never felt it try worthy,  anything good about it?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I like their ham sandwich, it's what I call a "fork sandwich"........too thick to fit in your mouth!

It's been a couple of years since I've been there, if I remember correctly their sauce is close to Smoke House. A mild, not so sweet sauce.

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 4:40:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't listen to toothless, Zarda=, but their beans are good, its not really his fault they don't know any better in blue springs

I'd say go to Jack Stack, and drink some Boulevard (wheat's my favorite) while you're in town.  

Polytech
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#10]
obviously toothles forgot to mention that if your going as far as Blue Springs might as well go on out to Bate City, by far my favorite.  Beats the heck out of Zardas and Smoke House!  Only draw back is no beer
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 6:04:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
obviously toothles forgot to mention that if your going as far as Blue Springs might as well go on out to Bate City, by far my favorite.  Beats the heck out of Zardas and Smoke House!  Only draw back is no beer

Bate's City BBQ is some good stuff!  Their sides are HUGE.  

And yes Poly, Jack Stack is good.  That's why I agree'd that it should stay on the list.  But Zarda is good BBQ.  They've been around so long for a reason.

ETA:  Bring CASH to Bate's City BBQ.  They don't take no stinkin' plastic!
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#12]
There are also some good joints to the south, but may be out of your way.

Oden's family BBQ in Belton is good.
There is also Snead's BBQ out off Holmes in Belton.  Use to be real good, but I have not been there in years.

There is also 135th St. BBQ in Martin City (Use to be called Keagen's or something like that) very good stuff.

There is a little joint in Lees Summit Holy Smoke BBQ.  Plus the Bushnell outlet store is around the corner.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#13]
BBQ in KC, its spelled Jack Stack.  Their baked beans alone and cheesy corn is a meal.  Ad in some burnt ends and sausage and I  am smiling.  Local beer....Boulevard as stated.  Since the Belgians bought out Anheuser Bushch...its the only MO beer left.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
BBQ in KC, its spelled Jack Stack.  Their baked beans alone and cheesy corn is a meal.  Ad in some burnt ends and sausage and I  am smiling.  Local beer....Boulevard as stated.  Since the Belgians bought out Anheuser Bushch...its the only MO beer left.

Jack Stack FTMFW!  

I went to Arthur Bryants (cue "In the Ghetto") a couple of days ago, and while the food was predictably average, the walls were plastered with pics of Carter and Danny Glover eating there.  So Bryants is the BBQ of choice for ultra liberal douchebags.

Blvd. Wheat is the local flavor of choice for beer, for sure.  Yes, it is supposed to come with a lemon.

Did I mention that Jack Stack is the only way to fly?
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm a fan of the Bully Porter and Stout.  If I'm looking for something lighter, Pale Ale is about as light as I'll go.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well maybe not Texas, but it only takes one Texan to solve world hunger...HUNT!

Not interested in the strange things, but a decent brew and food sure does go a long ways.
Tvone.

Traitor
Can I go next time?

In-Laws in Mo so I was surfing here

I will miss in state hunting fees if I get to go
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Late I know, but screw that...Jack Stack? Their onion rings are to kill for, but the place is for Kansans with more money than brains. SmokeHouse is for the poor Gladstonians who don't know better. I hear Oklahoma Joe's is the shit, but have never been. If you need to look further than Author Bryant's burnt ends / pulled pork, you have a problem. Hell, they are the #1 spot in the US for god's sake. I don't look at the walls, and I sure as hell don't go for the company / atmosphere. Gates is 2nd. in my book.

Note on AB's...I use to HATE the place because I'd get sliced meat "to go" in the log, slathered in their original sauce. I don't like their original sauce...it's all about the Rich & Spicy over ends / pork.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you need to look further than Author Bryant's burnt ends / pulled pork, you have a problem. Hell, they are the #1 spot in the US for god's sake. I don't look at the walls, and I sure as hell don't go for the company / atmosphere. Gates is 2nd. in my book.

Note on AB's...I use to HATE the place because I'd get sliced meat "to go" in the log, slathered in their original sauce. I don't like their original sauce...it's all about the Rich & Spicy over ends / pork.

No offense, but I believe Arthur Bryants is the most highly overrated BBQ joint in KC. And it's NOT about the sauce, to quote Paul Kirk (more or less):

"If you don't use a good rub and try and win with just BBQ sauce, I'll beat you with just a good rub!"

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Whereabouts in TX?  
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top