Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 5:36:20 AM EDT
Hello,
 I'll be moving to Ft Leonard Wood within the next couple of months, and was looking to hook up with other ARFcom members. I'm coming from Washington and we have a rather large and active hometown forum here, with group shoots at least quarterly. I also need to know some information on housing near base. We have horses and would prefer to get something more rural than just looking in Waynseville or St Robert. The wife has relatives south of base (Birchtree/Winona) so that would probably be best. If anybody has any suggestions I'd be very greatfull. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:56:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Im not near The Ft but welcome to MO none the less!

~Ed
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Just some links that might be helpful....

http://www.wood.army.mil/  

http://www.ftleonardwood.com/

http://www.flw-guidon.com/

Welcome to Missouri!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#3]
alot of the fort guys live in Lebanon. Its about 40min away on I44 but the housing is much cheaper and a million times better schools....unless you want football scouts lookin at your boy
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in Rolla which is 30 minutes away.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The land will be cheapest South of the fort, probably off Hwy 17. You might check with realtors in Houston for that. Having said that,  when its rural in Missouri..its rural. No services to speak of and if you are too far outside of a town, forget DSL, etc. I am a retired officer living about 40 miles south of the South gate(north of Mountain Grove).  You also might look North towards Dixon/Vienna, I know there are some good deals up there on property. St Robert and Waynesville seem to be high, compared to other similar towns in Missouri.  Fort Wood has had alot of improvements done to it, new PX, etc and has a good size hospital on it. Feel free to email if you need more help;

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in Lebanon and work at Ft Wood. Id suggest Lebanon or somewhere in between Lebanon and FT Wood rather than out the back gate of post. You can still get in a rural area for not too much $$ outside of Lebanon and still have a decent size town close by. Ive thought about moving to the Roby/Plato area several times, but just cant get past the streets rolling up at O dark 30 or having to drive 45 minutes to get anywhere.
 Also I think Birch Tree/ Winona area is gonna be a bit far unless you really really like to drive. We used to do Deer camp at Birch Tree and go to a managed hunt at Winona (Pecks Ranch) when we get drawn, but Ive almost stopped going altogather because of the 2 to 2.5 hr drive down there.
 Anyway if I can be of any help be sure to give me a holler..Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top