Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2008 3:53:29 PM EDT
Ok, so I also posted this in GD but I respect my homies more than the GD crew I am also posting here so I can get higher quality opinions.

Somebody at work decided to f**k with me today, I do not know if they were just an idiot or if some sort of malice was intended.
What happened;
I clocked out, went out and hopped on my trustee steed (KLR650, a motorcycle) fired it up and idled out of the parking lot. Stop at the entrance to the road, looked both ways and proceded to make a right turn into a traffic lane. Well, next thing you know the bike loses all power and I shudder it over to the side.
Lo and behold my fuel valve was turned off. I know I didn't do it and there is no way it can happen accidently so somebody had to do it.
So what should I do about it? I have thought about walking into the break room as soon as everyone hits the clock and explain how this wasn't funny and ask everyone there to leave my bike alone. This would not get the boss involved.
Or I could just walk into the bosses office, tell him what happened and let him handle it.
I am not going to call the police, what could/would they do? I am not going to make any threats, once again that wouldn't help a thing.
I do want as many people to know what happened as possible so if anything else happens later there will be a least a few people who know it isn't a one time event.
So, how about it? what should I do?

BTW, I am about 90% sure who did it but I can't prove a thing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm,  I think the best way to screw with the guy is not say anything at all.  Go to work tomorrow as if nothing happened.  It will eat him up that you don't come in bitching about it.  If he prods for info with something like, "how was your ride home yesterday?".... just shrug it off with something along the lines of same as any other.  Or play it up like you stoped off to get a cold drink, bought a scratch off and won $100.....

Just a thought, it has worked for me in the past.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hmmm,  I think the best way to screw with the guy is not say anything at all.  Go to work tomorrow as if nothing happened.  It will eat him up that you don't come in bitching about it.  If he prods for info with something like, "how was your ride home yesterday?".... just shrug it off with something along the lines of same as any other.  Or play it up like you stoped off to get a cold drink, bought a scratch off and won $100.....

This is the perfect thing to do.  Don't give the asshole the satisfation of riling you.  He will expose himself eventually.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't blame you for being pi***d! I don't like people screwing around with my bike/stuff either, but in this case I think "cbr954's" advice should be taken. I'd really rub it in about the lottery ticket, nice touch

Rick
SGF, Mo.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hmmm,  I think the best way to screw with the guy is not say anything at all.

+1

And keep in mind, some people just thrive on this sort of petty crap.  If you give them the satisfaction of letting them know they got to you, it will likely continue.

Don't say anything.  Check your fuel valve when you leave work for the next few days and see if the problem occurs again.

If it continues, talk to the local police and see if there is anything that a person could be charged with (reckless endangerment for example.  If your bike dies on a busy freeway, you could easily be in danger of serious injury).  

Start wiping the valve clean each time you stop at work.  If you find it shut off again, call the police and have them check the valve for fingerprints.  Go from there.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#5]
double-tap
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a guy that's familiar with bikes. 99.9% of non-riders wouldn't know a fuel valve if they found it in their underwear.

Probably a HD dork that hates 'Jap trash'.

BSW
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

BSW

Naw, that guy wasn't there today
And unfortunately everyone there is familiar with bikes so I can't use that to rule anyone out.
I can't put a camera up. I work for the USPS and they are real particular about who is allowed to surveil what.

Amazingly enough I am really starting to like the 1,000 dollar scratch off winner especially since the prime suspect is a compulsive gambler....
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Now, if you want to get even, I have a great idea for that too..
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow!  Was today piss off the ARFCOMMERS day at work?  I got f'ed with and I was pissed the whole day!  People kept asking me whats wrong, I finally just put up a sign to please leave me the hell alone.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#10]
You could always leave a nail under his tire
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the perfect thing to do.  Don't give the asshole the satisfation of riling you.  He will expose himself eventually.

Exactly, if they broke something or hurt something that would be a different story. The police wont take a report on something as stupid as this anyways.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:18:27 AM EDT
[#12]
It's a good thing you weren't pulling onto a busy street trying to merge with traffic when your bike shut down.

You could have been run over.

I'd be pissed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#13]
+1

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like it does not take much to get to you -- Don't give them the satisfaction of getting to you
As you get older more and more people with screw with you unless you just let this go

AND I DO ride an HD
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sounds like it does not take much to get to you -- Don't give them the satisfaction of getting to you
As you get older more and more people with screw with you unless you just let this go

AND I DO ride an HD

Yeah, let it go. This advice coming from the last person on the PLANET you would want to piss off (eeke)!

But I do agree, let it go. Leave revenge to the professionals.

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd grease his door handles!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'd grease his door handles!

Or use poop.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Sad to say but there's not much you can do about it ,, unless you saw it then you can kick ass as needed ,, we have the same problem where i work some dick tore off all of my stickers on my hardhat and threw then inside with a bucket of sand , yeah that dick put sand in about 10 of our hardhats , if one of us would of seen that going on i dont think the HR dept could of saved his ass . there are alot of pro union democrat's where i work and im the only full bore Republician , rare breed a union worker and a Republician

TS2
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Personally I try to shrug off peoples attempts at "screwing with me".  It sucks that in this case it probably had the possibility of causing more harm than they imagined.  If you know who did it, find some way to mess with them, or let the whole thing go.  Don't make a scene of it.  Dont confront everyone demanding to know who did it.  Whoever was responsible will be less likely to do something again if they dont see you retaliate.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, I let it slide. I didn't say anything to the guy. Funny, I found out today that he lost the timing chain on his engine that very day.
I am not superstitious or believe in magic etc. but damn, sometimes I could swear karma is for real.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I found out today that he lost the timing chain on his engine that very day.
I am not superstitious or believe in magic etc. but damn, sometimes I could swear karma is for real.

Damn if that's not a BitXX. Be a shame if he bent a valve in the process...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I didn't read every ones post, but I'll tell you what I'd do.

I'd make a record it with the Supervisor, and ask him not to say anything.  Then you could act as if nothing happened.  If it escalates, at least there is record of the first incident.

Good Luck,
DBAR
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Well, I let it slide. I didn't say anything to the guy. Funny, I found out today that he lost the timing chain on his engine that very day.

The universe does seem to correct itself...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#24]
One thing you could do is start checking your fuel valve as part of your start-up routine. . .

Otherwise, I agree with the others: Say nothing, do nothing. Wait for the clown to reveal himself, then calmly and quietly explain what the little trick caused you to do and what it COULD have caused you to do. He wants you to get upset. It will turn the tables on him if you are rational and collected . . . of course, the culprit probably did this because he knows how easy it is to get your goat.

In the mean time, check your fuel valve.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:32:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Well here's my thought Gary:

SInce you work fro USPS, contact the OIG and ask them to review the tape of the parking lot.  They'll ID who it was, and there's a good chance they'll get smacked real good.

BTW, did you know that the IG is most likely soon to take over the entire Inspection Service? I guess about 200 years of history will soon be gone??

Anyway, if you handle it some other way, sorry for your getting messed with.  You're lucky you didn't get fully into traffic, lose power and get hit.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Well here's my thought Gary:

BTW, did you know that the IG is most likely soon to take over the entire Inspection Service? I guess about 200 years of history will soon be gone??

I hadn't heard that bt it ought to be interesting.
For local stuff we have the postal police. Yep, not inspectors but actual US Postal Service Police. I think only the main offices have them (Think Chicago, New York, Atlanta etc., We have them downtown St. Louis and I am sure the KC main has them too)

Anyway, if you handle it some other way, sorry for your getting messed with.  You're lucky you didn't get fully into traffic, lose power and get hit.

Well, what really scared me was it did happen on the road. I had just turned onto a fairly busy main surface street (Lemay Ferry in south county area for you locals) when it started doing to choke and shudder routine. Fortunately for me I recognize that (I have around 25 years on two wheels behind me, well, on and off for 25 years). I reached down to flip it to reserve when what to my wandering fingers did it appear but the valve was all the ways back, not down where it should be.
That is what really pissed me off. I was put into danger my some assholes "practical joke"
Anyway, it is over now and I like to think I rose above the situation. Of course hearing the perp had a breakdown within a few hours that very day did make me chuckle... ok, laugh my ass off...
It is easier to laugh and smile when you know you have held the moral highground. I enjoy feeling like I did the right thing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Sad to say but there's not much you can do about it ,, unless you saw it then you can kick ass as needed ,, we have the same problem where i work some dick tore off all of my stickers on my hardhat and threw then inside with a bucket of sand , yeah that dick put sand in about 10 of our hardhats , if one of us would of seen that going on i dont think the HR dept could of saved his ass . there are alot of pro union democrat's where i work and im the only full bore Republician , rare breed a union worker and a Republician

TS2

Not as rare as you think bro.

Max
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It's a guy that's familiar with bikes. 99.9% of non-riders wouldn't know a fuel valve if they found it in their underwear.

BSW

I don't think a fellow biker would do that to another.  Back when I was riding jap scrap I got into the habit of turning off my fuel when I got off.  

And what do you mean HD dork?!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
99.9% of non-riders wouldn't know a fuel valve if they found it in their underwear.

BSW

Well, from this "HD dorK", you would have a hell of a time finding the fuel cut-off on my 2003 Deuce, it's fuel injected.

PursuitSS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top