Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2008 6:36:54 AM EDT
Am I just getting old or soft (too late) or both when I consider today almost too damn cold to go shooting in 5 degree's and wind chill of -11 ?   Have to try out some new loads I am working up, but omg its gonna be cold.  At least I should be almost alone @ Finger Lakes in Columbia. Wouldn't think there will be many out there around 2pm.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 7:24:22 AM EDT
[#1]
At least you have the option to shoot. I'm stuck at work till 6pm.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
At least you have the option to shoot. I'm stuck at work till 6pm.

I'm working with guns, so which does that count towards?  Fun or work?

Jeff

I would think fun.  You guys ever hire any part timers to teach the AR-smithing ropes?  I'm no slouch and know my way around an AR pretty well, but it would be nice to learn from the masters

Who am I kidding.  I don't have time for anything new
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 3-day weekend (my company gives us MLK day off).  I was really looking forward to hitting the range on monday to have it all to myself.  But, high of 25 and snow!  I may still go, I am really itching for some rifle time.  I've done it before, setup, shoot about 10 rounds, then hop back in the car to warm up for 20 minutes.  Then, back out to shoot another 10 rounds, back in the car.  It's not very efficient.    Maybe I'll just clean my filthy guns and load some ammo instead...
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I figure if need be, I will be doing the same. I have quite a bit loaded, but need to shoot some to see what receipe works best. Everything is loaded kind of light, but thats how it goes. Powders used were all BL-C2 or Varget. (mostly Varget) but I have loads in .223 (55-75gr), .243 (70-100gr) and 30-30 (150gr) to test.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'm working with guns, so which does that count towards?  Fun or work?

Jeff

That's fun work......as opposed to my shitty work.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
OMG it was cold... I'm still cold after the ride home.

Well after 3.5 hours @ the range, the .223 still need some work. Just not happy with the results. The .243 on the other hand, was OMG Great. My first couple strings were so-so, but kept getting better with each change in load. Think I am set with Hornady brass, Fed210 primer, 42gr varget pushing Hornady 75gr V-max. My 10 shot, 100yd group's from that batch were all in one ragged hole that I could cover with a dime. For my .243 plinking round, its gonna be the 70gr HP pushed by 40gr Varget. Those group's were the size of a half dollar @100yds. The 30-30 was ok, but could use a little tweeking. Its groups were 3" @100yds so I have some more work there. I can't believe it took me this long to start reloading.

Link Posted: 1/19/2008 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I can't believe it took me this long to start reloading.

HAHAHA!!!!  You are an addict now!!!  Just like the rest of us handloaders!
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Rob, lets test them loads out at the 1/2 mile range, gonna do that again when the weather warms up. Im bustin claybirds at 600 yards with my new toy, and no, its not with a beltfed, this time its a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Im down for some cold shooting, but F-that when it is this cold.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Friend of mine just got a new pistol and is frantic to get out and shoot it. We will be heading up to Fayette conservation area Sunday afternoon. If I get too cold I shoot out of the truck....just kidding. I'll tough it out....for awhile.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I was out at finger lakes around 130 yesterday. damn it was cold.  but got to fire a few rounds thru my new shotgun and help my little brother break in his usc.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#14]
If I can get my lazy ass up in the morning Im going to try out my latest AR setup at Concordia.  Then in the afternoon Toothles and I are going to blast some pistols at Pioneer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#15]
We've got a pretty good cold weather set up.  Pops bought an old VW van and we set up one of those little buddy propane heaters in there, load mags, talk a bit have a drink, hell make coffee if you want, then go out shoot a bit.  Gets cold hop back in the van and warm up.  Did it a few weekends ago, but still I prefer the warm weather.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I made it, me and the beagle.  She was mad as hell once she figured out we were'nt hunting  I got to Concordia about 9:30, temp was 30  But it really was'nt bad I had on 2pr of long undies and a sweat jacket under my leather coat.  Shot for 1 1/2 hours and really liked my new 3X magnifier replica! I put 300+ rnds of wolf and silver bear down range and had no FTF or FTE!!

Got back home in time to hook up with toolesrooster and blast away 9's, 45's, and 10/22's at Pioneer all afternoon.

Couldnt have asked for a better day! ( maybe a little warmer, but I'm not complaining)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top