Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 8:53:17 PM EDT
What are the laws/rules about carrying in your home or on your property?  My little brother just turned 21 and he asked me this question.  Obviously he isn't eligible for his CCW for 2 years and I didn't know the answer.

Please advise.

Grove
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#1]
ASAIK, you can carry whatever and however you want inside your home.  Now that castle doctrine passed, even better.

But, I am not a lawyer, so...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:55:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:46:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You're good to go in your home and car.

I know I've asked this before but my memory is bad...

I can carry a loaded gun say...in my center console?  Or maybe on my lap?

Is there a specific law one could quote in case they got hassled by an LEO about it?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:01:22 AM EDT
[#4]
What about working outside in the yard?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:28:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What about working outside in the yard?

On your private property you can carry whenever, however.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I carry around the house and when I'm doing yardwork outside. The law states you can carry on your property or property you are in control of.  As long as you are 21 and over you may also carry a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of your vehichle, but check local laws as well because they can limit the carrying in your vehichle.
Still waiting to get some time to take my CCW course.

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use

Subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply to any person twenty-one years of age or older transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed, or is in his or her dwelling unit or upon premises over which the actor has possession, authority or control,
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I carry around the house and when I'm doing yardwork outside. The law states you can carry on your property or property you are in control of.  As long as you are 21 and over you may also carry a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of your vehichle, but check local laws as well because they can limit the carrying in your vehichle.
Still waiting to get some time to take my CCW course.

I don't think that part is true in Missouri.  Local areas can restrict open carry, but I don't believe those areas are allowed to pass any laws more restrictive than the state law.  If I'm wrong about that though, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me shortly.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't think that part is true in Missouri.  Local areas can restrict open carry, but I don't believe those areas are allowed to pass any laws more restrictive than the state law.  If I'm wrong about that though, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me shortly.

Correct, local ordinaces are only for open carry, not car or concealed carry.  Now that Kansas has passed that law about cities not being 'different' from state laws on gun laws, I'm hoping to see MO address it as well.  But, with CCW and Car Carry, I personally don't care if I can or can't open carry, since that is a non-issue for me.  But, I would still like to see it addressed for those who do want to open carry.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The problem with open carry is this. Lets just say that you can legally carry open in all of MO, cities included. What they can get you for is disturbance of the peace. So, they cant arrest or write you a citation for the open carry. Then they just slap you with a fine / citation because you caused some handy stomper to wet their briefs when they saw that six shooter strapped to your leg. Or worse a hi-cap 9mm in a tactical drop down holster.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Best check the law about carrying outside your property.  My dad did this once and the neighbors complained and the cops threatened him with brandishing.  Of course that was a few years ago.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#12]
You can conceal carry in the yard!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The problem with open carry is this. Lets just say that you can legally carry open in all of MO, cities included. What they can get you for is disturbance of the peace. So, they cant arrest or write you a citation for the open carry. Then they just slap you with a fine / citation because you caused some handy stomper to wet their briefs when they saw that six shooter strapped to your leg. Or worse a hi-cap 9mm in a tactical drop down holster.

You just gotta wear a big hat and tip it when you encounter these gentle folks while saying "howdy pardner"  Not sure if this works with the drop leg rig, someone try this and let me know
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Tell your 21 year old brother that he needs to get a non-resident CCW to cover him for the next 2 years. I got Utah when I turned 21. My CCW instructor was and still is one of the progunners that tries to get stuff done at the capital.

The way he explained it to me, they were trying to get swing votes for CCW. The politicians wanted to know what age CCW would be allowed. He said 21 and they replied "I have a 21 year old kid I wouldn't trust with a gun." They said 25 would be more appropriate, and then we settled on 23. Definitely teh ghey, but what can you do.

Depending on where you are located I may know of some good CCW instructors that offer MO/FL/UT courses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top