Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2007 2:46:23 AM EDT
with MO department of Public safety this month. She has wanted to get into "CSI" and this is an opportunity. Jeff City, ten hours from here. I guess my questions are, if she gets offered and accepts the job, what are housing and living expenses like in Jefferson City? About what does the state pay? I know almost nothing about your state, but thought I might get some good advice/information here. Thanks to all in advance.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 4:00:02 AM EDT
[#1]
COL in Missouri is very low compared to most parts of the country.  I'd imagine it would be comparable, maybe less, than Texas.  Housing costs are low too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 4:34:11 AM EDT
[#2]
State jobs are pretty good.  Pay is average, benefits and retirement is good.  They're also pretty stable employment, I can imagine that's pretty true in Texas too.

For your enjoyment CMMG is north of there and MidwayUSA is tirty minutes away.

Good luck to her.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Jeff City is a great town.  Big enough to have stuff to do, small enough not to have major problems with cost of living, traffic, or crime.  I lived there for about a year between undergrad and law school and would gladly move back there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Missouri's crime lab(s) are run by the Highway Patrol.  I'd say the pay would be pretty good considering the demand for people in that field.  I hope she gets the job, our labs are so backed up right now on evidnce processing its rediculous.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
with MO department of Public safety this month. She has wanted to get into "CSI" and this is an opportunity. Jeff City, ten hours from here. I guess my questions are, if she gets offered and accepts the job, what are housing and living expenses like in Jefferson City? About what does the state pay? I know almost nothing about your state, but thought I might get some good advice/information here. Thanks to all in advance.

Jeff City is a great place to live -- not much to visit, though. Small town feel, a little tough to break into social circles outside of work, church and sports but still a nice, friendly town. Costs are low. Figure $125,000 to $200,000 for a nice house -- a liveable place for less. Schools are pretty good. Crime is fairly minimal. Gun-friendly environment. Good town.

You can see what other state employees earn HERE. If you don't know an employee's name, just select a department (like Public Safety) and hit search. You can scroll through the listings and look for relevant job titles. The figures are at least a year old though, so add about 4 percent (a typical COL increase for state workers).
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#6]
FYI:

There's really no such thing as "CSI".  However, I would assume that she means working in the HP crime lab....very different from the CSI you see on TV.

As mentioned, Jeff City is reasonably priced and a decent place to live.  Think she'll like it there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
FYI:

There's really no such thing as "CSI".  However, I would assume that she means working in the HP crime lab....very different from the CSI you see on TV.

As mentioned, Jeff City is reasonably priced and a decent place to live.  Think she'll like it there.

I know what you mean, but you know what I mean. and Thanks everybody for your replies. I hope it goes well for her, though I will hate not haveing her and the grandkids just down the street, literally, if they move.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I do not live in Jeff City but many of my friends do.  They all seem to like it.  She may want to consider living in Columbia due to larger size and college town.  May be more to do but I think would cost more than JC.  Look em both over!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top