Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2007 5:55:39 PM EDT
I found my way out to the Pigeon Hill Conservation range today.  Overall, it seemed like a decent range.  I really don't care for the Range Nazis that run the manned state ranges, but this one was okay.

The only other unmanned Conservation range I've been to (out past Union) had a big yellow "NO FULL AUTO" sign at the entrance along with the usual posted range rules.  

While there were yellow signs all over at the Pigeon Hill range, I found none forbidding full-auto.  

So, was there a sign that someone removed?  Or has there never been a sign?  Or a better question: is shooting full-auto specifically banned at this range?  Can someone point me to the applicable statute?  

I suspect I know the answer, but I'd like to see something in writing if it is truely prohibited.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard in the past that full auto is ok, but you have to go during the week, and notify the Conservation office prior to going out there.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
AFAIK there has never been a sign at P hill. Contact the MO conservation office in St. Joe and tell them you're going to be shooting FA on such and such day. The last I heard was, if you don't contact them first we get to read about you and your evil assault weapon in the newspaper.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool - thanks!  Any idea how much advanced notice they need?  Any restrictions (times / days)?  

Quoted:
The last I heard was, if you don't contact them first we get to read about you and your evil assault weapon in the newspaper.

As in "Poilce respondede to... and gave him a stern talking-to."

or

"Police arrested a machine-gun toting..."
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I never heard a follow up on this one

link

Weapons, explosive seized at range
4 shooters taken into custody

St. Joseph News-Press

Authorities seized an unknown handheld explosive device and at least one fully-automatic weapon Wednesday evening from out-of-town shooters at a firearm range just south of St. Joseph city limits.

Deputies were called to the Pigeon Hill Wildlife Area upon reports of men possibly firing fully automatic weapons, said Capt. Howard Judd of the Buchanan County Sheriff's Department. Four armed males were located seated around a picnic table near the archery and firearms target range, Mr. Judd said.

The men complied with deputies' order to place their weapons on the table. Deputies took them into custody without incident, he said. However, a deputy located a cylindrical device with a fuse wire hanging out while searching the men.

Deputies ceased all radio traffic in the cordoned off wildlife area off Missouri Route A while a team from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms responded from Kansas City. The device was about 4 inches tall with a round top. The handheld device had a "sophisticated" look, and wasn't likely homemade, Mr. Judd said.

As of press time, the device hadn't been identified, and one of the four weapons seized was identified as fully automatic.

The men were described as being from the Dearborn, Mo., and Kansas City areas.

good response

The guys were probably bump firing their guns. Bump firing is when the gun is held by the forearm and pulled into their stationary trigger finger. When the weapon fires, the recoil moves the weapon rearward and the natural reaction of the hand holding the forearm is to pull the weapon foreward firing the weapon in succesion. It would appear as though the weapon is automatic, but is only firing one round per pull of the trigger. A practiced individual can really make one rock. Not automatic, just a practiced bump fire shooter. Look up bumpfire on Youtube.com. The "device" was probably tanerite, a small pyrotechnic found at gunshows used to shoot at. about as explosive as a M80. If you are going to post this crap, at least tell the truth!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The handheld device had a "sophisticated" look, and wasn't likely homemade, Mr. Judd said.
The "device" was probably tanerite, a small pyrotechnic found at gunshows used to shoot at.

I said it once and I will say it again, Tannerite looks about as sophisticated as a shampoo bottle.

I would like to know more about this though.
On the subject of FA at PH.... Well I have shot full auto at pigeon hill, with proper notice and a "Permission slip" you will likely have no trouble.

You can't just roll up, whip out a machinegun and start blasting, and Sometimes they have you shoot on the "Other" range out back, instead of the peasants range!

Usually several days may be required to shoot full auto they can be slow with paperwork. That sign about no Machineguns has been there a long time.
Mike may know it as the yellow or white board with black writing on it.
He probably just attaches his target to it... It has been present for at least 10 years that I am aware of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top