Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2007 9:47:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 2:38:02 AM EDT
[#1]
You might look up a HAM Fourm...... but I would assume its a problem with poor wiring on the antenna.

Link Posted: 8/2/2007 2:41:37 AM EDT
[#2]
You could look in our very own Survival Forum.  There are a lot of knowledgable ham radio operators there.  Maybe they can give you some suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 4:41:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Had a similar problem years ago, when a new neighbor moved in and had a "power mic" attached to his HAM. He could listen in on our phone calls, even making comments. He talked over the radio and TV also. We tried a few things, like the Police, local HAM users, FCC, even the phone company. Phone company was the only place that could do anything and they just came in and installed some type of ?filter/dampener? not really sure what its called and that helped on the phones. The entire neighborhood was very unhappy about it and did everything possible to make life difficult for them. When they moved in, they had 4-6 cats that they let breed out of control. I learned real fast how quiet a .22 can be and it was amazing how easy crowd control was.  They lasted 2 years before leaving as the morgage was not getting paid. Darn shame when that happened The cats didn't make the move though. They only lasted 6 months...
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#4]
well sounds like to me you need a garage band!

yes sir. thats what you need.  one with enough power to fill a big venue.  hum we could teach you to play bass. and you hard of hearing and need to trun it up real loud. point it toward his house when you do it and knock crap off his walls. i can hook you up if you want to go this route.

i am not promoting this. just a idea. you always wanted to learn how to play a music.  heck have some of your car friends come over and make his life hell drown him out.

i wonder if there is a way you could spike his signal.

Ronald
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#5]

MCA will be happy to provide covering fire in case your secret mission is compromised.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Had a similar problem years ago, when a new neighbor moved in and had a "power mic" attached to his HAM. He could listen in on our phone calls, even making comments. He talked over the radio and TV also. We tried a few things, like the Police, local HAM users, FCC, even the phone company. Phone company was the only place that could do anything and they just came in and installed some type of ?filter/dampener? not really sure what its called and that helped on the phones. The entire neighborhood was very unhappy about it and did everything possible to make life difficult for them. When they moved in, they had 4-6 cats that they let breed out of control. I learned real fast how quiet a .22 can be and it was amazing how easy crowd control was.  They lasted 2 years before leaving as the morgage was not getting paid. Darn shame when that happened The cats didn't make the move though. They only lasted 6 months...

While I don't think he was in the right to cause the interference he did, ....if you killed my cat I would burn your house down with you and your family inside. My cat is my family.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#7]

While I don't think he was in the right to cause the interference he did, ....if you killed my cat I would burn your house down with you and your family inside. My cat is my family.

So, once the Castle Doctrine takes effect, he will be legally allowed to shoot anyone's family members that trespass into his house, does that include cats?
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#8]
If you can't fix the problem with diplomacy, hit him where it counts (to him).  He's into HAM radio, so find some sort of transmitter that screws with his signal.  If he's messing up your phone, computer, etc with his signal, do the same to him.  If the FCC won't come out to help you, they're not going to help you either.

I'd get on horn with your cable/sat, IP, & phone company and tell them you're not going to pay for their services anymore becuase of inference.  They have a lot more pull with the FCC that you do and might be able to get things fixed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe an open microwave emitter conveniently pointed at something electronic?  I don't really know much about microwave tech but perhaps a "directed energy" setup pointed in his general direction... might work... might make him sterile... dunno
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you sure it's a HAM?? hams tend to be carefull about that kind of stuff. A bootleg C B er has no license to protect and don't give a hoot.A CB has ONE antenna about six foot tall(sort of) a ham can have anything from a two-foot mast to a shitpot full of masts. One for 20mtr 160mtr 80mtr 40mtr 2 mtr 70cm 220etc. some of these are fifty feet up and have 25 foot 'arms' Do you ever hear call letters?? Not "handles" like bigdog or ralphie.Call signs like regular radio stations- one to three letters a number,then some letters again.....N0ULZ    KB0MWG
Where is this about??There are official observers who find and 'ticket' offenders.IM or email me and I can getr hold of on OO joe  N0ULZ
eta: are you sure you have the right 'guilty party' When my mast went up, I "was in everyones tv"----just ask them----even when I wasn't home.they saw mast-it's MY fault.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Ditto Stlshot,

Even when I was not home I had people complaining.  Normially HAM radio ops try to not cause interference.  Several things can cause these problems from having a mic that is amplified and this will cause over driving of the finials and hence splatter. Speaking to a good radio op will bring a problem to his attention and he will quickly correct the problem. I once was over driving a amp for my 2 mtr radio. Got a call one night from a paging service bringing it to my attention. Rechecked my power setting on the transmitter and backed it down so I was no longer over driving my amp.

Now stlshot brought up a good question, about the multi antennas. But a 11 mtr antenna looks a lot like a 10 mtr ham antenna. Also we have a bunch of good buddies modifying their equipment to free band illegally in the 10 mtr band. These modification are not only illegal, but improperly tuned will splatter.

I also agree with the talking to. And then maybe the OO that was suggested. But try to buddy up first and ask him about something about I thought that CB was dead. See how he responds. Ham radio ops hate being called a CBer. Or if he is a CBer, he will puff out his chest. Take that info with you when you talk to a OO.

Good luck, this can be a messy long dragged out issue. I pray it is a Ham and he just making an honest mistake and takes pride in correcting it.

KF0OX    (thats a 2x2 call)
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#13]
wait until he leaves home walk over and cut the wire off where it cannot be seen.  That shit would piss me off.  But first take the PC approach as I am sure you will.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

(rant on)

Not wanting to step too much off topic, but when the cats are running in packs and acting ferral, its gonna be open season no matter what time of year. I am sure no responsible cat owners would let theirs act this way. These were breeding out of control (note over 40+), had no shots, were not cared for, were not fed regularly and were truely a menace.

(rant off, fire suit on and back to topic)
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you sure it's a HAM?? ...... a ham can have anything from a two-foot mast to a shitpot full of masts....... Do you ever hear call letters?? ........
Where is this about??There are official observers who find and 'ticket' offenders...

No, but I am sure I had a bacon cheeseburger for dinner tonight.  

REALLY tall 3-section antenna mast (only up about 1/2 way and it's still taller than a 2 story house) with motorized aerial up top spanning ~12'x12' wide with 6 or so "arms" per side.

I searched www.vanityhq.com/ and found that a ham operator is licensed on the end of my street (same addy as uber-tall mast) with the call letters of N0PAO.

And what is this "official observer"?  Are they gubmint employees or just regular folks who try to keep their hobby self-policed?

Thanks for any help.  I keep checking to see if I can catch him outside to make the meeting seem more casual and less threatening.

Sounds like something out of a scifi movie.  Post pics please
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#17]
RFI and TVI are a big deal, or were once upon a time.  It's hard to believe the FCC won't act against an agregious offender.

There are many CB operators using illegal amps and large beam antennas, so the antenna not a reliable discriminator unless you recognize the beam size and its operating frequency.

You should just go down and knock on the operator's door.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#18]
OO (Official Observer) people cannot issue a "ticket".  They can only alert the ham operator.  Only the FCC can issue a "ticket".

The FCC stopped investigating interference complaints long ago because they found in nearly all cases the problem was in the device being interfered with (ie, poor engineering).

Go talk to the guy.  If he really is a ham operator more than likely he will do everything he can to cure the problem even if he is not the source of the interference.  Understand though that curing the problem may involve making adjustments to your equipment.  

If it is a CB operator, good luck.

It would not be a good idea to mess with his coax, antennas, etc. (eg, cutting or "pinning" his coax) because if he is a ham then technically you are causing malicious damage to a federally licensed radio station.

Yes, I am a ham radio operator.

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Any thoughts or suggestions?

"Show and Tell" party at Eric's house.

The real question here is "What evil weapon should I bring!"

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By Brother Kane:

Quoted:

Any thoughts or suggestions?

"Show and Tell" party at Eric's house.

The real question here is "What evil weapon should I bring!"

I'd bring a keg but E likes bottled beer!
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Your on the wrong side of the state.  I was thinking we could talk to some of the guys in the avionics shop here and they could rig up some kind of jammer.  If they can jam an AWACS, I don't think a ham radio would be hard.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Your on the wrong side of the state.  I was thinking we could talk to some of the guys in the avionics shop here and they could rig up some kind of jammer.  If they can jam an AWACS, I don't think a ham radio would be hard.

Now that kind of toy would be worth the road trip...
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why am I envisioning birds flying in front of this device and suddenly, inexplicably, falling from the sky and landing dead on the lawn.  

You forgot the bursting into flames part.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted for posterity...
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why am I envisioning birds flying in front of this device and suddenly, inexplicably, falling from the sky and landing dead on the lawn.  

And crop circles! Where did I put that baby monitor.....
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Most jammers do not discriminate. More than likely you would cause the same problem to your niebhors and he is causing to everyone.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most jammers do not discriminate. More than likely you would cause the same problem to your niebhors and he is causing to everyone.

Oh with a careful recon and a couple pieces of gear I can hit just him...
If I broadcast high power yeah... but I have my ways....
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Today we talked.  He's a nice guy and is willing to help me "harden" my stuff against his signal.

That's as good of an outcome as I could wish for.  Now let the sleuthing commence.  The problem is, I really need a steady interference signal from him in order to track down the site of the intrusion into my stuff.  Any thoughts on that?

So... no flaming birds?
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 10:47:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So... no flaming birds?
Not this time.

But perhaps we could get a demo unit to play with at the next CMMG shoot?  We'd teach those damn flamingos to mess with us!

Hmm... I'll be in Columbia this year...
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So... no flaming birds?
Not this time.

But perhaps we could get a demo unit to play with at the next CMMG shoot?  We'd teach those damn flamingos to mess with us!

When is the next CMMG shoot?  
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#34]
height=8
Quoted:
Today we talked.  He's a nice guy and is willing to help me "harden" my stuff against his signal.

That's as good of an outcome as I could wish for.  Now let the sleuthing commence.  The problem is, I really need a steady interference signal from him in order to track down the site of the intrusion into my stuff.  Any thoughts on that?

Next time he is going to be on the air for an extended time have him call you so you'll know to start checking your equipment.  Have him keep track of what bands/modes cause the interference, that will help in the resolution.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#35]
As a general rule, I personlly don't shoot other peoples pets, but if puddy tat is on this guys property and he don't like it then I don't see anything wrong with him shooting it either, especially in the scenario he described.

I also don't see anything wrong with him shooting the puddy tat that sets his house on fire either.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I apologize in advance for the hijack Eric...

Brian, you and I would not get along very well.  I don't advocate restricting a person's ability to legally own firearms except in extreme cases, however legitimate mental illness does come to mind as a qualifying reason for restriction.  Posting such outrageous claims and threats on a gun forum certainly does nothing to promote gunowners as rational law abiding citizens.  Seek help now.  With the extrordinary social skills you are demonstrating, perhaps it should come as no surprise that your cat is what you consider your primary family.  

Eric, good luck with the ham operator.  Hopefully a polite conversation will resolve the situation.  

ETA: Just read update...glad to hear it's working out.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I apologize in advance for the hijack Eric...

Brian, you and I would not get along very well.  I don't advocate restricting a person's ability to legally own firearms except in extreme cases, however legitimate mental illness does come to mind as a qualifying reason for restriction.  Posting such outrageous claims and threats on a gun forum certainly does nothing to promote gunowners as rational law abiding citizens.  Seek help now.  With the extrordinary social skills you are demonstrating, perhaps it should come as no surprise that your cat is what you consider your primary family.  

Eric, good luck with the ham operator.  Hopefully a polite conversation will resolve the situation.  

ETA: Just read update...glad to hear it's working out.  

As for the cats and the cat lover:  
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Talk with the HAM operator he should check his equipment for interference, if refuses to help you contact the Raytown Amateur Radio Club. HAM’s police there own and the local club will help you find the source of the interference. It might not be the HAM radio operator; it could be the guy next door with a short in some electrical equipment on that frequency.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#41]
YEAH!!!  Jam it!!!  CMMG - Great spaceballs reference.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
YEAH!!!  Jam it!!!  CMMG - Great spaceballs reference.

Spaceballs is on Comcast's OnDemand, was gonna watch it yesterday but decided to watch Dr. Strangelove instead.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If you can't fix the problem with diplomacy, hit him where it counts (to him).  He's into HAM radio, so find some sort of transmitter that screws with his signal.  If he's messing up your phone, computer, etc with his signal, do the same to him.  If the FCC won't come out to help you, they're not going to help you either.

I'd get on horn with your cable/sat, IP, & phone company and tell them you're not going to pay for their services anymore becuase of inference.  They have a lot more pull with the FCC that you do and might be able to get things fixed.

I'll second that. There are plenty of interferance devises for every type of electronic. Just look around on the web.

This is the first thing I came across on yahoo: jammers

I'll also second that about cat people. I can't say all people who own cats are nuts, but when I meet a crazy chick I always say I'll bet she has cats. I'm usually right.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Cat lovers and dog lovers, Lots of differences and not always can they come to an agreement. As for threats posted above I have learned the internet is full of all sorts of people, some serious, some not. I have also got into a few fights over in GD and another thing I have learned. Don't get upset over what some of those whacked out armchair commando say or do.
Let people say what they want, it rarely has an affect on their target but quite often reflects right back on them.
That being said (and an apology for the hijack)...
Did you get the problem figured out yet? The only way I can see it really being bad is if he is cranking out so much power that your wiring is acting as an antenna and force feeding your electronics.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I wonder what N0PAO (Marvin Morales of Raytown, MO), his neighbors, the FCC and your Commanding Officer would think of your idea?  I just don't see any humor in offering or suggesting the use of government property for illegal purposes against someone who is only SUSPECTED of causing electronic interference.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You sir, are quite insane.   Quite.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.... against someone who is only SUSPECTED of causing electronic interference.

Oh, he's far more than just "suspected" of causing it, he is 100% positively the cause of the interference signal.  I'd bet your life on it.  Now if I could just filter it out of my TV I'd be a very happy camper.

However I must somewhat agree with you that the use of illegal tactics should not be promoted.  As to the using the .gov's equipment argument, well, it is partially mine since my taxes paid for it.

How about betting your own life and not mine?  lol

BTW:  If you do a Google search on N0PAO you'll find some interesting stuff on him.

Good luck with solving your interference issues though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder what N0PAO (Marvin Morales of Raytown, MO), his neighbors, the FCC and your Commanding Officer would think of your idea?  I just don't see any humor in offering or suggesting the use of government property for illegal purposes against someone who is only SUSPECTED of causing electronic interference.

Get a life.  If you can't tell a joke you need to stay off the internet and not play with the adults.

I am with the 131st FW in St. Louis.  Make your calls little man.

Edit to add:

Next time I talk to the Adjutant General, I will mention this.  I am sure he will get a laugh out of it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lighten up Francis.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top