Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2007 6:13:44 PM EDT
Hey all,
    Who have you used in the KC metro to engrave an SBR lower.  I heard some rumors about a laser engraver here, but have yet to locate them.  Any help is as always appreciated.
Scott
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Shawn James
Accu Laser Engraving
101 SE 30th Street
Lee's Summit, MO 64082
Office. 816-537-0270
Fax. 816-537-8563
www.acculaserengraving.com

I have not personally used him yet, but have seen his SBR markings in person and he is top notch!!!

scottMO
Link Posted: 3/22/2007 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#2]
And for the record, SBR markings must include your name, city and state, or "recognized" abbreviations such as KC MO for Kansas City Missouri or OP KS for Overland Park Kansas.  They must also be at least 1/16" tall and .003" deep.  That's pretty darn small.

And the markings must be "conspicuous", meaning that you can't hide them under a removeable stock or pistol grip.  They must be easily visible without requiring any disassembly of the firearm.
Link Posted: 3/22/2007 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#3]
There's no height requirement for the name and address, only a depth requirement of 0.003"
Link Posted: 3/22/2007 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I am sorry but you are incorrect, Boomfab.

Title 27 479.102 states:
"Sec.  479.102  How must firearms be identified?

(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must
legibly identify the firearm as follows:
   (1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise
conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped
(impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual
serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not
susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must
not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For
firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002,
the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number
must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller
than 1/16 inch; and...."

You, as the one who chops the barrel, removes the fake flash hider, puts the 11.5" upper on your AR15 are considered the "manufacturer" of the NFA firearm.  Therefore you are indeed required to mark the weapon in accordance with the above quoted regulations including the minimum 1/16" letter height.  And since you are re-using the original serial number, you are not required to assign a new one to the weapon.  However, if you are manufacturing a brand new weapon, such as building a full-auto AK47 from a flat, then you would also be required to imprint the weapon with a unique serial number, caliber, etc.

Title 27 of the CFR online, 479.102.
Link Posted: 3/22/2007 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am sorry but you are incorrect, Boomfab.

"of the serial number
must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller
than 1/16 inch; and...."

The serial number has the height requirement.  Manufacturer name and address requirements are elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/22/2007 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Whoops, I missed that.  Sorry.

However if there is no minimum size requirement, then why aren't folks, and they aren't, using micro-engraving for their name and address on SBRs?

There was a proposal in 1999 to require everything to be at least 3/32" tall and .005" deep but that was narrowly defeated.
Link Posted: 3/22/2007 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#7]
The depth requirement makes one use readable size letters in a round about way.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2007 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys, I'm close to Lee's Summit so that works.  
Scott
Link Posted: 3/22/2007 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/22/2007 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I think most of you have seen this pic before.  Shawn in Lees Summit did it.  btw he was doing some work for Barrett, but I'm not sure if he still does.  He showed me some of their recievers that he had finished.

Link Posted: 4/2/2007 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Went down to see Shawn.  You are right, this guy is the best.  Quick, professional and VERY reasonable.  I hoghly recommend him to anyone else looking.  Thanks guys!
Scott
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#12]
What is the avarage cost for a little custom 1inch x 1inch designein the mag well, anybody know???
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 3:16:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What is the avarage cost for a little custom 1inch x 1inch designein the mag well, anybody know???

Just give Shawn a call, he is a super guy and would be able to tell you easily. I found him through DBAR and couldn't have asked for an easier guy to deal with.  He charged me $20 for my SBR engraving BTW. He has alot of samples of things he can do on differant surfaces. I actually spent more time talking to him and checking out his work than it took him to do my engraving. I've since sent 3 others his way and everyone has had the same opinion of both he and his work.
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Adds a whole new meaning to the phrase "drop the hammer"......Then again maybe it just clarifies the meaning!!!

Anyway, the engraving looks good and so does the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I thought of it because of her style of shooting.  She isn't much on "fire discipline," she's more of a suppressing fire type.  Give her a full mag and she'll give you an empty mag in return, in short order!

Saturation fire of an area target….I like it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry guys, I'm not dodging posting pics, I just can't find my damn camera.
Scott
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#20]
"Saint Michael the Archangel defend us in Battle."

Am I right?  My latin is rusty since I finished law school.

EDIT:  Nice setup, what is that a 7 inch?  Would look even more badass with a quad rail and forward pistol grip, if that's your style.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#21]
That would be correct, on the latin and the barrel.  The five crosses are from the flag that was flown in the holy land when the crusaders ran out the "moslems" as they were known.  Thought about a rail, but I grip the magwell anyway, so I passed.  
Scott
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Prayer of Pope Leo XIII to Saint Michael:

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle; be our defense against the wickedness and snares of
the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do thou, O prince of the heavenly host, by the
power of God thrust into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By Brother Kane:
Prayer of Pope Leo XIII to Saint Michael:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Cathedral_St_Michaels_Victory.jpg

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle; be our defense against the wickedness and snares of
the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do thou, O prince of the heavenly host, by the
power of God thrust into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen

Exactamundo!
Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top