Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2006 12:22:23 PM EDT
Called the Liberty office just to see if it was legal to CCW while hunting turkey, (firearms season) or if it was considered "hunting" with it since it's on your person and you can't hunt turkey with a pistol. The lady didn't seem to know for sure but said no.

I called Parma woods in Parkville with the same question and the guy said he wouldn't recommend it. I asked if was illegal or if he had other reasons. He said he didn't think it was that common for deer to attack out in the woods and he didn't think there was any reason to carry. I told him I couldn't think of a reason why anyone wouldn't want to carry at any time, (where legal of course) and all he had to say was he didn't think I should be that worried about squirrel attacks. Didn't think I heard him right so I said, "excuse me?" and he had in fact just said what I thought he had.

Without getting into wether or not you think there is reason to CCW while hunting, what do you think about these idiotic comments? I'm thinking FUDD. BTW, my guess is it is not legal to carry unless it's also legal to hunt with that particular pistol. This is the same guy that always has to handle my firearms without asking when I go shooting there. (during cease fire) He never messes with anyone else. Must be because I mostly bring Glocks and the AR. WTF. We always sight our hunting rifles on our property in the sticks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry since last fall I met a trespasser on my property and he pulled a shotgun on me.  Told me he was making a citizen's arrest!!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I carry since last fall I met a trespasser on my property and he pulled a shotgun on me.  Told me he was making a citizen's arrest!!  

A citizen arrest?  For what?  Walking in your own property?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with Duke ... Need whole story ...

If Mo Dept. of Conservation doesn't see a need to CCW while hunting, then they never heard of what happened up north.  A certain foreigner named Veng essentially gunned down four(?) hunters when they confronted him for trespassing on their land.

A buddy of mine I hunt with (who's a member here too BTW) refers our CCWs as our "Anti-Veng Measures".  I'll CCW any where the law allows me to and at any time I wish.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea, I couldn't believe it...made me want to take it up with him more, but not over the phone and he seems like a hardcore FUDD anyway...be a waste of breath.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Be aware that during Turkey firearm season according to the MDC code:

"Anyone hunting turkeys during the fall firearms turkey season may not be in possession of both a firearm and a bow."

and

"An archer, while in the act of pursuing or hunting turkey on an archer's permit, shall not have a firearm on his/her person"

So no firearms in your posession while hunting turkey with a bow.

Oh and while looking at the MDC web page, I am reminded of the most retarded "safety" reguation EVER:

"Safety sticker requirement
All hunters using a shotgun must affix the “Be Safe” sticker to the receiver of their gun so it will be in their line of sight when shooting. The sticker must be maintained on the gun while hunting. Stickers are available wherever permits are sold."

Gee, I was going to carry my loaded gun with the safety off and my finger on the trigger and the barrel pointed forward while following my buddy joe up this steep hill, but then I saw that sticker, and remebered to "BE SAFE"

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Be aware that during Turkey firearm season according to the MDC code:

"Anyone hunting turkeys during the fall firearms turkey season may not be in possession of both a firearm and a bow."

and

"An archer, while in the act of pursuing or hunting turkey on an archer's permit, shall not have a firearm on his/her person"

So no firearms in your posession while hunting turkey with a bow.

Oh and while looking at the MDC web page, I am reminded of the most retarded "safety" reguation EVER:

All hunters using a shotgun must affix the “Be Safe” sticker to the receiver of their gun so it will be in their line of sight when shooting. The sticker must be maintained on the gun while hunting. Stickers are available wherever permits are sold."

Gee, I was going to carry my loaded gun with the safety off and my finger on the trigger and the barrel pointed forward while following my buddy joe up this steep hill, but then I saw that sticker, and remebered to "BE SAFE".

Why don't we just put them on all guns, knives, and pointy objects?  So many more lives could be saved.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What a bunch of garbage!  What's next?  Mandatory painting of firearms hunter orange?  Like the MO Conservation can enforce that bullshit anyway.  I say if you have a CCW, carry to your heart's content.  It's not like Mr. Game Warden can pull a random search on your person without your consent anyway.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:08:27 AM EDT
[#11]
It wouldn't be random, it would be a game inspection.  The conservation agent has the right to inspect your game; he can claim he believed you had a turkey hidden in your pants.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
he can claim he believed you had a turkey hidden in your pants.

Then you can sue his ass for trying to fondle big jim and the twins.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I carry due to idiots trespassing during hunting season. My brother in law had a guy 3 years ago try to take his gun from him claiming he was trespassing when in fact the dick in question was trespassing. That almost turned ugly until my other 2 brothers in law came up and saved his ass.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I always like to CCW when I am away from civilization, no dueling banjos for me!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Yea, I about shit when the guy handed me that bullshit "BE SAFE" sticker. I had to ask him if it was even legal. When he replied it was, I promptly let him know I thought it was bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:14:31 AM EDT
[#16]
carry boys, carry.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I will neither confirm, nor deny whether I will be carrying a CW.

Oh, and counter-accusations will be made!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I may or may not CCW while bow hunting.  

Mo conservation may or may not be trying to repopulate bears and mountain lions in
missouri.

There are worse things than squirrel attacks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's the whole story:

Asshat has deer stand 20 yards off of property line with his stand facing over the property line.  He only has 7.2 acres to hunt, it's completely surrounded by our 150 acres except for the road frontage.  The deerstand,  it's a big built up job, like 4 people can sit it in, and the sides are covered with plywood and there are slots to shoot out of it.  You can't see if anyone is in it or how many people are in it.   Now, Asshat is not the property owner, he's the ex brother in law of the property owner.  Keep this in mind.  So, I walk down the property line, on my side, as I usually do to make sure there is not any funny business going on anywhere (aka meth labs).  I really did not even think about it being fall firearms turkey season.  I would have never walked the line during firearms deer season, even though his shooting lane is only 20 yards and then he's shooting over our property.

The guy is up there hunting and starts screaming out of the stand "Boy, you are tresspassing, I'm gonna have you arrested".  I reply "Arrested?  By who?"  He comes back, "I have a Conservation Agent sitting up here with me, I'm gonna have him come down and arrest you".  Well I tell him to have the Agent to come on down that I would love to meet him (at this point Cav aint thinking).   Of course there is no Agent up there, and he keeps talking about the property line and how I am over it.  So I tell him, show me the property line and if I am wrong, I will apologize and he will never see me again.  Well he tells me that he does'nt have to show me where the line is at.  I tell him that he clearly does'nt know where the line is at, otherwise he would show me where the line is.  He comes back "Now listen here Boy!"  I cut him off with "You don't know shit, go fuck yourself."  (Cav's brain process has ceased to function).

I turn my back on him and the line and walk about 100 yards back from the line and then up to my truck which is parked on our lane.  At this point there is no question about where we are at, that being on my family's property.  As I step out of the woods, he standing there and exclaims "Stay right there boy, I'm making a citizen's arrest!"   At this point it's starting to get a little tense.  "Excuse me?"  He's all pissed off.  "I'm making a citzen's arrest for trespassing."  I laugh, "Your arresting me on my own property?"  At this point I am SO on my property, the line is about 50 yards away.  "That's right boy, I'm arresting you and I'm calling the Conservation Agent and having your ass hauled to jail".  He proceeds to load both tubes on his shotgun.  At this point the shit is not funny, and I realize that my shotgun is back at the cabin.  So I ask him about how he knows the Cons. Agent.  "Well I work for Conservation" is his reply.  I ask his what he does.  "Well, I work in Maintenance three days a week".  At this point I realize this guy is a loon, probably delusional, and probably actually thinks one of two things:  He can either shoot me and get away with it, or that he can pull this and scare me real bad and establish dominance.   I really don't have a choice on the first one, and I will be damned if I was going to let the second one happen.  I tll him I am getting in my truck, I am leaving and that I look forward to meeting the MDC Agent and talking to him.  Shaking, I get in the truck, start it up and drive off.

I sat there that afternoon thinking about what happened.  I ended up calling the Sheriff's Dep. and filing a report.  The Deputy was understanding, told me my options, and I chose to file a report but not press charges.  The not filing urges was at the request of my family members, I know some of you won't understand that, but that's what was decided upon.

It's funny I would tell you this story.  I was at the cabin this weekend hunting and I was getting ready about 5:15 a.m. and I see headlights coming down the lane.  The guy slows down, sees my truck, then pulls into the driveway to back out.  I walked outside in my p.j.'s with the .45 at my side screaming get out.  I asked him what was doing there.  His reply, "Well I did'nt think anyone was out there, just came out to see what was going on."  He's in full camo.

I don't care what regs say, I bowhunt, whether it be on public or private property, I carry a handgun.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I don't care what regs say, I bowhunt, whether it be on public or private property, I carry a handgun.  

+1:  Worst case senario, it's better to loose your hunting rights than your life.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Exactly.    I wonder if there is a law somewhere that says state statues supercede Conservation code.  Would be an interesting legal question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top